When you start taking private lessons.. you're all stoked about them.. then when it comes down to it.. a couple lessons in.. it feels like homework to practice? ugh.. theory and scales and all that, i mean..

Am i alone on this matter or has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Quote by -zj*
When you start taking private lessons.. you're all stoked about them.. then when it comes down to it.. a couple lessons in.. it feels like homework to practice? ugh.. theory and scales and all that, i mean..

Am i alone on this matter or has anyone else experienced the same thing?

you are alone.

now stop being a bitch and go do your homewo- i mean music
Quote by carcass255
long hair is cool mate

haircuts are for people in concentration camp
I did briefly, but then I remembered that it was good for my musical skills so I stuck with it. And it was worth it. Nothing worth obtaining is easy to get my friend.
Why don't you learn songs you like among that? Then you get the best of both worlds. Having fun playing stuff you want to, and learning theory.
studying music is part pleasure, part work

like almost everything else?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I'm an architect, I love my job, but it never stops being that, a job. It's fun and everything but it's always my job.

Learning music is like that, part fun and something you love and part a job, like learning anything.
I actually enjoy all the scale and theory work I get given. Its interesting.
Well,
I started having lessons and it has made my playing much better and i havent had much theory.
If i never started lessons then the best riff i could play would still be the infamous:
0--3--5---0--3--6-5--0--3--5--3--0
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
I dunno.. It feels like homework I guess. But then I get to my leson and it's like talking to a friend and your teacher should be there to help you with anything.
And it always feels great when I'm at a lesson and really playing everything well and I show my some-what of a idol what I can really do.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
No. If you're not enjoying what you're currently, take the initiative and next time you go to your lesson bring something with you, you would like to learn. Is the teacher goingt o stop teaching you what you need to know just to learn a random song? Probably not, but it'll at least make technique practise more interesting.
i get what you mean...... except i was getting lessons from my band director back in 8th grade.... and he was a d-bag guitar player that was stuck in the Van-Halen era.... and thats all he wanted to use to teach me....

so...... i quit taking lessons. that was............... 4 years ago.... and ive taught myself everything i know since.
Quote by Tallman
I actually enjoy all the scale and theory work I get given. Its interesting.

I'm the same way--because at some point how it all relates clicks internally and its as though I've suddenly solved a huge mystery that's now all so clear. One week my teacher had me going through what most people would consider endless ii - V - I progressions and suddenly, I could hear that progression in songs and matching bass lines to them became easy.

I do think Bales idea of learn some theory and a song is a good idea. If theory is a drag for you it balances it all out. I had a really great teacher at one point who actually did the best of both worlds: taught you a technique / theory and then matched a really good song that you liked to that lesson.
I always balance "homework" with a song/songs which use that technique or theory I want the students to learn- though students sometimes found my song choice "lame". I also try to make time each lesson for students to show me a song or lick that they want me to teach them. Each instructor's difference, but I think having actual songs to practice with is important.
just imagine your on a stage and that's your bassline, and you can't mess up or your ravenous fans will be sad.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom