Poll: How far would you go?
Poll Options
View poll results: How far would you go?
as far I can walk/bike w/my guitar/bass
12 22%
>5 miles
10 18%
>10 miles
14 25%
> 15 miles
19 35%
Voters: 55.
I'm trying to put together a a garage band but I don't have wheels to move my drums so i was wonder how far is like a reasonable distance to go jam/practice with some 1?

The ppl i'm trying to talking to are 17-18.
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
Nothing past 10 miles probably. It depends on a lot of things. Such as how dedicated your members are, how passionate they are, if they can afford it and do it on weekly basis, etc.
I know I could walk ten to jam, I've done it before, 15 isn't that much more...like another hour or so walking. I think 15 can be done, but it just seems like a bit much, I vote 10.
if it's a serious band, I'd be willing the travel upwards of an hour for a long practice once a week, so 40-50 miles max. Mind you, I have a car.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i plan on it being serious. I put up a flyer @ my local music shop(not guitar center) and then i hit up musician finder but I only contacted ppl 3 miles away. reading this i'm gonna push for 10 miles now.
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
For your age group, I'd say about 10-15 miles.

I currently drive about 17, sometimes 20, depending on whether we rehearse at our space, or if we have a "split" rehearsal where we basically go acoustic in one of our singers basements.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I go 10-15 miles for practice.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
My drummer is in school about an hour and a half from the rest of us, luckily our hometown is pretty much smack-dab in the middle so we all drive about 45-60 minutes to practice every week. It's about 40 miles from Boston, bit further from the dummer's school.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
haha, I drive almost 2 hours to practice.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
^^
That sucks bro, all the members in my band expect the drummer have a 5 minute drive to band practice. Everyone but the drummer because we practice at this house.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Last edited by CNC-Digity at May 9, 2008,
i voted 10 miles although it really depends where you live.
if you live in a huge city i'd be willing to drive a lot more then if i lived in a small town,.
Looking for a new sig!
I go around 8 miles (~15-20min depending on traffic) to practice and we practice sporadically--sometimes 3 jams in one week, sometimes one jam in 3 months. Depends on school and such
holy shiite! problem solved, i found a band with their own pro gear and studio practically right down the street xD

its seriously a fifteen minute bike ride

Space that ain't yours
For real? 2 of the members in my band drive an hour and some to practice twice a week. It all depends if you're in it for keeps, I guess. If you think you've got the perfect guys, you'll drive for hours to practice.
The lead guitarist in my old band used to travel over 50 miles to come to practice, and now im in a band thats spread out like god knows what, i live about 40 miles away from 2 of members, who live 20 odd miles in the over direction from the other 2 :L

But i live up in shetland, so really you need to do this or else you cant succeed!
i used to go around 10.

it depends if youre just havin a jam, or if you're really going for it.
I'd stretch to around 20 miles, but more that, and i couldn't afford to travel so much
but if I had a car I'd go further
everyone lives within 5 miles of the practice spot.

I'd only be willing to drive about 15-20 minutes
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I travel 30+ mins by car for band practice twice a week, about 10k's

Why? Because my band mates are awesome and we're just about to hit the road on our first tour...I would not however, go further than 10miles for a brand new band with no songs/members...

So it's kinda down to the situation...
If transport isn't an issue, then a reasonable distance to travel is whatever distance you're willing to travel.
It'll probably be a different distance for everybody.