hey guys, i love my epiphone valve jr. but im looking for an upgrade. i was thinking between the vox ac15 and a fender twin reverb. i tried out the vox and it sounds great, really bright and chimey. i am looking for amazing cleans but a good crunch is necessary too.
nothing too over the top but a good lead crunch is a must.

any help?
Theres a big difference of power there? Fender twin is 85w (and very heavy) the vox 15.. Try a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI its 22w and a very very nice sounding amp..
You'll get no crunch from a Twin, at least not at any useful volumes. It has some of the best cleans you'll find, though.
The Deluxe Reverb is a better choice than the Twin for the reasons stated. A Twin will get nice crunch (seen it on YouTube) but only when it's more or less cranked.

A Bassman reissue would be a great choice too, if you wated omething more powerful than 22 watts, although it sounds a fair bitdifferent from a Deluxe Reverb, despite having great cleans and drop dead amazing crunch.
ima go way out on a limb here and say get a fender bassman... best cleans, imo eats a twin reverb. i get a nice crunch outa mine too...

anyways, whats you budget?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Big amps compared to the vox he liked though and compared to his Valve jnr :x I guess it all depends on what volume he wants, personally I'd get the Deluxe Reverb and mic it up when needed...
Vox AC15.

I've owned both a Twin and a Vox AC30.... I found the Vox is crunchier by far, and more dynamically sensitive at lower volumes. The twin or the Deluxe Reverbs will do this quite nicely too...but will need substantially higher volume settings to achieve the dynamic sensitivity and crunch.

Also.... look into a Peavey Classic 30 or 50 before buying any amp.... it will accomplish the tones you are looking for and is one hell-ova awesome amp for the price! The Classic 30 has Vox like tones with a bit more versatility!

And recently I picked up a Valve JR head and matching cab, and don't think I'll have need for another amp again... I love this little thing....dunno why you'd want to leave yours behind... I think before I bought a different amp, I'd just buy more JR's......have a whole wall of em...
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by brianthemayan
I'd just buy more JR's......have a whole wall of em...
That actually sounds like fun.
For the price of a Twin reissue, you could buy 8 JVs. Not exactly a wall, but still ...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Why are you deciding between these two amps? I could see debating an AC30 and a Twin, but the AC15... ?

Quote by johntb
Theres a big difference of power there? Fender twin is 85w (and very heavy) the vox 15.. Try a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI its 22w and a very very nice sounding amp..

I have the DRRI, and absolutely love the thing, but it's not a loud amp. The AC15 is probably louder (my son's Palomino V16 is), despite the 22W rating.

The Twin is too big to get real good crunch out of it at reasonable volumes, IMHO. Great gigging amp, but if you're also looking at a 15W amp, I have to think it's just too big. The sound of the Vox and Fender is virtually night and day, too. Just an odd pair of amps to compare. I'm also not a big fan of the AC15 in general. It's less than just a smaller version of the AC30. It has much fewer features, and the responsiveness is just, well, less.

I'd suggest you look at the AC30 and Fender Super Reverb. They're comparable in price and power, both will give you excellent cleans at gigging volumes and outstanding crunch when you push 'em. From there, you can decide if you prefer the Fender or Vox sound.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by R.D
ima go way out on a limb here and say get a fender bassman... best cleans, imo eats a twin reverb. i get a nice crunch outa mine too...

anyways, whats you budget?

The Bassman is a good choice. TS, also consider the Peavey Classic 30/50, because they're modeled after the Bassman.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
well im definitely willing to go used, around $700, i saw a few twin reverbs at that price. so an AC30 would be a little over budget for me, although it does sound godly.

oh and i love my vj, not leaving it behind judt expanding my tonal possibilities. :>
You should be able to find an AC30 in that same price range. I have the bastard child CC1 model, which I got a deal on in a pawn shop. I've definitely seen them on ebay for under $700 (or so).

Of course, I just looked now and there are none.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
in that case i will surely look into the ac30, patience is key. thank for all the help slats...everybody.