Thinking about getting a peavey valveking royal 8 5-watt valve amp for my birthday to replace my current kustom 10-watt ss that i play through at the moment. (i also have a 130watt fender ultimate chorus but thats just too loud lol). baring in mind i practice in my room quietly (parents, neighbours etc) would i actually get a better sound with this new amp?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
The ValveKing royal is driven by tubes, both in preamp and poweramp. Where as your Krank, is all solid state. Personally, I would say you'd prefer the tone from the Peavey.

But it is subjective. I prefer tube tone. It literally feels and sounds better. I can't touch SS amps anymore. So if I were you, I'd do it. (but I would also be smart enough to try it out personally before buying it!)
but would i get the benefit of the tubes at low volumes? i play a lot of metal so thinking about getting a metal pedal or something too, would that mask the valve benefit?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Even at low volumes, I'd appreciate it. I run 100 watts tube... and in the last couple of years (in college), I've been playing pretty LOW volumes. And I still prefer it over my old solid state amp. And even then... at 5 watts... you should be able to have a good "listen-able" range of volume, that should reach that tube saturation point.

But I've never personally tried the ValveKing Royal... which is why I suggest YOU try it out. Tube tone is tube tone... but if you don't like the actual tone of the amp, it is pointless.

And I would certainly urge you to try it before getting it. Because honestly, you may not appreciate the difference enough to make the purchase worthwhile. Basically what I am getting at is, perhaps your birthday gift could be better spent getting new effects, etc?
thanks, thats my dilemma basically.

i have a boss me-50 (digital) which i could use the overdrive on. or would it be best getting a seperate analogue overdrive for that kind of thing?

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
If you got this amp... I would try it without any overdrive. (I don't use overdrive; but then again, I have more than enough gain). If you feel you need OD... hook in your Boss thing. Do you like it now? If not... get an OD (like a Tube Screamer or Bad Monkey). And if you still don't like it after all that; return your OD and start looking for a new amp.