To me, all they do is de-tune the strings, and produce that vibrato effect. I don't even like it, I way prefer bending.

So, to me, they're totally useless. Am I alone in thinking this?

Hardtails FTW
i disagree, if you have good tuners they stay in tune pretty well, and with floyd rose it never goes out and you can do pretty awesome dives and get more vibrato, whammy bar harmonics r one of the sickest things you can do on a guitar too
bending and trems create totally different effects which both have their place at the right time.

a good quality guitar wont go out of tune through trem use.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
A good trem won't go out of tune.
A tremolo offers so many possibilities that you couldn't even fathom with a hardtail.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Pain in the arse but you can hit notes that dont even exist

and fluttery warbles and scoops divebombs pretend to be a slide guitar and bend and all sorts of screams and noise (bend feedback)
Shut up and play your guitar!
It just depends on what type of trem you have. I know on my cheap squier I will never use it because anything more than a slight push on the whammy bar and just about every string goes out of tune.
I like my trem! I whammy my squier standard strat all the time, and have to re-tune about once a week, to keep it spot on. It hasn't really de-tuned all that much yet...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by EJD
To me, all they do is de-tune the strings, and produce that vibrato effect. I don't even like it, I way prefer bending.

So, to me, they're totally useless. Am I alone in thinking this?

Hardtails FTW

Good luck trying to bend a string downwards in pitch
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by villis666
i disagree, if you have good tuners they stay in tune pretty well, and with floyd rose it never goes out and you can do pretty awesome dives and get more vibrato, whammy bar harmonics r one of the sickest things you can do on a guitar too

Not just tuners. For anything other than a double locking trem, you need a nut that doesn't bind (such as an Wilkinson/LSR roller nut, graphtech trem nut, graphite nut) or some graphite in a nut that may bind. not to mention sharp knife edges.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Not just tuners. For anything other than a double locking trem, you need a nut that doesn't bind (such as an Wilkinson/LSR roller nut, graphtech trem nut, graphite nut) or some graphite in a nut that may bind. not to mention sharp knife edges.

spot on, i always put some graphite powder in the nut grooves on my standard strat when i change strings.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix