Page 1 of 2
Well i realy would like to make a fuzz face clone. Looks easy enough. I do have a collection of canablized components that arnt being used but this would be my first pedal/complicated project.

I dont have access to perfboard. What can i sue instead?

Can i just use to 2uf caps in series to get a 4uf cap? (That was just an example.)

You could just buy the PCB only kit from Build Your Own Clone, then use your parts on it

I think thats how it works anyway
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
i think its caps in parallel to add values
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Two 2uf caps in series will give you a 1uf cap. As the other guy said you need them in parallel
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by kurtlives91
WRONG!

4mF

4µF. 4mF = 4 milli farad (or mega farad).
Last edited by mr_hankey at May 7, 2008,
Quote by mr_hankey
4µF. 4mF = 4 milli farad (or mega farad).

I like most people use m and µ interchangeably. And that's perfectly fine.

I was just pointing out that that person's post was totally wrong mathematically.
How was it wrong? Two 2uF caps in series will give you 1uF in capacitance.

The best way to connect cannibalized components is point to point.
Go to a Radio Shack or something. Sure their perf boards are pretty crappy, but it's definitely better than chaining component. They're not expensive.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
resistors in series:
Rt = R1 + R2 ...

resistors in parallel:
(1/Rt) = (1/R1) + (1/R2) ....

capacitors in series:
(1/Ct) = (1/C1) + (1/C2) ...

capacitors in parallel:
Ct = C1 + C2 ...

Kurtlives wasn't wrong, and neither was looneyguitarist. He mentioned 2 x 2mF in series is 1mF and that the_poison125 would need them in parallel to work as he wanted. (4mF in the original post)

i've misread posts and pointed out something obvious that was never misrepresented before, so it happens.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Quote by kurtlives91
WRONG!

4mF

Since when would two microfarad (uf) caps in series give you 4 millifarads (mf)? Or even 4 microfarads (uf)?

I'm very confused as to why you think my post is totally mathematically wrong... If I am indeed wrong, please explain to me why
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
1uF=1 micro farad
1mF=1 milli farad
1MF= 1 megafarad

loonyguitarist, kyrreca, jedilly and losenger are right
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
1uF=1 micro farad
1mF=1 milli farad
1MF= 1 megafarad

loonyguitarist, kyrreca, jedilly and losenger are right

Here you go: μ
Copy and paste it as you wish.
Quote by loonyguitarist

Since when would two microfarad (uf) caps in series give you 4 millifarads (mf)? Or even 4 microfarads (uf)?

I'm very confused as to why you think my post is totally mathematically wrong... If I am indeed wrong, please explain to me why

2 + 2 does not equal 4.
1984 by george orwell. if u havent read it, dont bother asking- the resulting answer would be a 200 page novel
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I'm still very confused as to why you think I'm wrong...

Good ol' 1984...
Quote by Liberation
μ.....μ.....

μμ!!

μμ!!!

μ-CHU! (haha)

(i've been playing too much of my wii)
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Quote by mr_hankey
Here you go: μ
Copy and paste it as you wish.

why thank you squire.

i hate fannying around in character map
You can use a peice of sheet balsawood, or hardboard or something as a circuit board. The trouble is it catches fire when you're soldering. With balsawood, you can just push the component's connections through the wood, but if it's anything harder you can drill lots of little holes in it intead. I tried what your saying ages ago and it failed dismally, but don't let that put you off, it'll cost you nothing if it's from old scrap parts anyway.
Quote by jimRH7
You can use a peice of sheet balsawood, or hardboard or something as a circuit board. The trouble is it catches fire when you're soldering. With balsawood, you can just push the component's connections through the wood, but if it's anything harder you can drill lots of little holes in it intead. I tried what your saying ages ago and it failed dismally, but don't let that put you off, it'll cost you nothing if it's from old scrap parts anyway.

HAHAHAHAHAH

I didnt know wood was a good conductor. What have I been doing, Ive been using vero and PCBs...**** I just need to cut down a tree from the backyard.
^ Is there any need to be such an ass?

I assume he means using a thin piece of wood as the board to hold the components together, and then solder them together with pieces of wire or similar. Sounds quite dodgy really, probably wouldn't hold together very well, but I guess could be worth a shot if you have this stuff lying around.
Quote by Liberation
Quote by kurtlives91
HAHAHAHAHAH

I didnt know wood was a good conductor. What have I been doing, Ive been using vero and PCBs...**** I just need to cut down a tree from the backyard.

The material used for perfboard isn't supposed to be conductive.
Anyway, using wood doesn't seem like a good idea. I still don't understand why the OP can't just buy some perfboard, though.
^ Indeed. *nods*
Quote by Liberation
Quote by kyrreca
The material used for perfboard isn't supposed to be conductive.
Anyway, using wood doesn't seem like a good idea. I still don't understand why the OP can't just buy some perfboard, though.
Maybe TS lives on the moon. They don't even have Radio Shack there, although I hear a McDonalds is being built soon. Or maybe it's money. He's cannibalizing parts like resistors and caps. Sounds like more time than money. Wood doesn't seem all that bad, but maybe he can't even afford that. Maybe he'll have to use a piece of the cardboard box he's living in.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
So if he doesn't have access to perfboard, he must live in a cardboard box? Nice. the poison, just try soldering your components point to point. It's not that hard, and you'll get the hang of it in short order.
Quote by kurtlives91
HAHAHAHAHAH

Haha, you're one to talk, Mr "two capacitors in series" !#

nah, I just meant use it like old fashoined breadboard, you know, The stuff you get that's just like, fibreglass full of little holes?
Last edited by jimRH7 at May 10, 2008,
Quote by Losenger
So if he doesn't have access to perfboard, he must live in a cardboard box? Nice. the poison, just try soldering your components point to point. It's not that hard, and you'll get the hang of it in short order.

Thanks

The reason i cant get perfboard is because.. Well i have no idea where to get it in Australia.

And i hate buying online.
Dude go to dick smiths. Get the stuff there.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by Losenger
No, read the post again. The TIC remarks were probably too suBtle for you to understand. I suggested possibilities. Broke/cardboard box was one of them. The other was a remote location. Since then TS has clarified. Australia doesn't have the same stores, but giving up on decent materials isn't necessary.

Your point-to-point idea is a complete loser for a fuzz face. There will be far too many unsupported connections unless you use some sort of terminal strips. If he has access to those, he has access to perfboard.
Quote by tomypg
Dude go to dick smiths. Get the stuff there.
This. ^
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No, read the post again. The TIC remarks were probably too suBtle for you to understand. I suggested possibilities. Broke/cardboard box was one of them. The other was a remote location. Since then TS has clarified. Australia doesn't have the same stores, but giving up on decent materials isn't necessary.

Your point-to-point idea is a complete loser for a fuzz face. There will be far too many unsupported connections unless you use some sort of terminal strips. If he has access to those, he has access to perfboard.
This. ^

Huh. I didnt know dick smiths had that. Il go check it out.
The pertinent components can be soldered to either the pots or the jacks, and support the rest.
Quote by jimRH7
Haha, you're one to talk, Mr "two capacitors in series" !#

nah, I just meant use it like old fashoined breadboard, you know, The stuff you get that's just like, fibreglass full of little holes?

OMG I made a mistake I wasnt thinking...big deal. GO home.
Quote by kurtlives91
OMG I made a mistake I wasnt thinking...big deal. GO home.

I think you should change your user title to 'mr. two capacitors in series'. For ****s and giggles.
Not guitar related, but an example of point to point circuitry.

Quote by Losenger
Not guitar related, but an example of point to point circuitry.

Hilarious! Thanks, I needed a laugh today.
More proof that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

It looks crappy enough as it is, with all the connections with support being so close together.
Can you imagine the spindly, fragile mess you'd end up with in a fuzz face pedal
where the jacks and pots have distance between them?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Page 1 of 2