What's the main difference between these two types of humbucking pickups?

Is it just the presence (or not) of pickup covers?

Or does it affect the sound?

Since i can't go to a music store until next monday and i got curious, i thought of asking you guys here at UG...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
apparently the covers knock some of the top end off but nowadays you get different pickups wound for different purposes so it depends on what exactly you buy..
Shut up and play your guitar!
pretty much no difference, some people say the covers change the tone, some dont. Even if it does change the tone...its a minuscule difference.
Some people also say that pickups with covers are more susceptible to feedback too, but I've never noticed the difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Some people also say that pickups with covers are more susceptible to feedback too, but I've never noticed the difference.

Isn't it the way around? The metal cover is used for grounding which helps further eliminate the buzzing.
If they're the same pickup, the one with the cover may look prettier.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by hminh87
Isn't it the way around? The metal cover is used for grounding which helps further eliminate the buzzing.
Well I thought myself that's how it would be, but I've been told by a number of people that covers increase feedback. Like I said though, I've never actually noticed the difference anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If i put covers on the pickups in my SG special, would it make a difference or would it just make it look better?
How do you put them on? I assume you just screw them on but I Went to guitar center and the fags there said it needs soldering and started a big ordeal over it with my mom. That makes no sense, to solder that on.. considering it has screw holes -.-

right?
Quote by doubtfull
If i put covers on the pickups in my SG special, would it make a difference or would it just make it look better?

neither, hahah, unless you like how it looks better. I think it looks the same basically.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by doubtfull

The tone of the pickup is generated by its winding and magnet, not by its housing and cover. It should not affect your tone. If you do get a cover, make sure it is grounded to the backplate of the pickup.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
The tone of the pickup is generated by its winding and magnet, not by its housing and cover. It should not affect your tone. If you do get a cover, make sure it is grounded to the backplate of the pickup.

Yeah, it's just I read on the internet that if you put covers on it makes it less bright sounding *shrugs* is it true it creates more feedback?
Quote by doubtfull
Yeah, it's just I read on the internet that if you put covers on it makes it less bright sounding *shrugs* is it true it creates more feedback?

That's not 100% accurate - I had a covered Seymour Duncan JB installed in my C-1 Classic that was brighter than the uncovered DiMarzio D-Activator installed in it now. To some extent it MAY have a slight affect on the tone simply by vibrating with the guitar when you pluck a string, but a pickup's tone is generated through its magnet and winding.

It will generate more feedback if it's not grounded as it will act as a resonator of electromagnetic interference. However, if it's properly grounded, it will act as a shield and may help reduce feedback.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
If they're the same pickup, the one with the cover may look prettier.

Exactly what i was thinking... If they sound the same way, i think my next guitar will have chromed pickup covers, because they look way cooler (to my own taste, of course!).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Slash42x
How do you put them on? I assume you just screw them on but I Went to guitar center and the fags there said it needs soldering and started a big ordeal over it with my mom. That makes no sense, to solder that on.. considering it has screw holes -.-

right?

well, the pick ups themselves are typically screwed to the guitar physically either to body or pick gaurd...but the wires that transmit your sound still need to be soldered to the volume, tone and selector leads.

my JB swap took 7 solder joints total by the time i was done.

;