Title says it. I posted a thread about Blackheart amps, and it seems as they're mainly for light distortion genres, as the people who replied to it said.

I'm kinda on a tight budget, and, as my only other amp is a Roland Cube 60, I figure almost any tube amp would be a step up from it. The most I would probably want to pay is $600 USD.

I have an LTD Viper 400 with EMG 81/85 pickups, if that helps.

What kind of tube amp would you guys recommend for metal (-core, nu-metal, melodeath type metals, to be exact)?
Valve kings are very nice, i have one and run an ibanez ts-9 over the top of my distortion channel and it sounds excellent. also for $700 crate blue voodoo is a great metal amp for a budget i know its a little higher than you want but it is well worth the money.
I'm sure a good OD with the Blackheart could work, but I haven't tried one so I'm not sure. Usually OD's push an amp into metal territory if one uses it to supplement the gain on the amp.

I know lots of people here are fans of a Valveking with a tube and speaker change. Search for Valvekings and look for threads about them, because a couple users here put some great sound clips. It's well within your budget, and you can get an OD along with a new speaker and tubes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
A Bugera 6262...

nuff said.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by stradivari310
I know lots of people here are fans of a Valveking with a tube and speaker change. Search for Valvekings and look for threads about them, because a couple users here put some great sound clips. It's well within your budget, and you can get an OD along with a new speaker and tubes.

Alright...how exactly would I get tube and speaker changes if I purchased the VK? Just take it in to a shop and ask for a change? And what kind of speakers and tubes would be good?

Sorry I'm fairly to new to everything about amps except solid-state-ness
Quote by 2dor
used 5150 ....rips your guts out in that which concerns distortion....can find them here: http://instruments.search.ebay.com/5150_Musical-Instruments_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQsacatZ619 .... used ones...

+1.

craigslist is even better: (just one example from georgia cl)
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/667634308.html
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Quote by end_citizen
Randall RG50tc?

Darnit, beat me too it
I though of that just after my post, but didn't have time to edit it before you called it.
What part of GA do you live in?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
DO NOT GET A VALVEKING FOR MODERN METAL

It will not work no matter how many people say it does.

Randall RG50TC on the other hand as said above has **** loads of distortion... I have one
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
man, 600 aint gonna get you anything. save up, get yorself a nice marshall. jcm 800's are the best f***ing amps in the world for metal. just ask Kerry King, Zakk Wylde and Slash.
Quote by Jhachey22
man, 600 aint gonna get you anything. save up, get yorself a nice marshall. jcm 800's are the best f***ing amps in the world for metal. just ask Kerry King, Zakk Wylde and Slash.

No. Just no. $600 can go very far.

If clean tones aren't important, search craigslist or local stores for a Peavey 5150 combo. If they are, Bugera 333XL.

And not a single one of those players uses a completely stock JCM 800. Kerry King and Zakk Wylde have their own versions, and I'll bet Slash's aren't stock either.
Last edited by rwalby9 at May 8, 2008,
As I see as it hasn't been suggested yet, and that the amplifier is a modeler in itself, I'm assuming it's not a good choice... but what do you guys think of Line 6's Spider Valve?