correction: in case you are going to read this post, please ignore the 'indie' thing for now, since the mentioned band is on hiatus now, thanks in advance!

hello everyone,

at this point I'm searching for suggestions for an amp (talking about tube here) I could play my Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut+ (manufactured in '98, original pickups) on - don't ask what amp I currently have at home for practicing (yeah it's that bad), I have a combo at our rehearsal room which doesn't even belong to me. oh, and I've read the FAQs and searched the forums btw, I just need more specific information now.

I plan on continuing to play post-hardcore (mostly high gain I guess), so I'm not looking only for high distortion to shred away to metal tunes, it should be possible too though.
I'd like to be able to play clean (jazzy) stuff as well, and, furthermore, with my current
band I will often need that indie sound you would associate with that indie pop band playing Fender guitars (I'm well aware it doesn't affect the sound too much, just the imagery).
I know this looks like I'm gonna need real versatility, but still, my main focus concerns a somewhat progressive sound of bands like The Fall of Troy (no, I don't want to limit the way I sound to their music, so just ignore the guitar I have), Fear Before The March of Flames, The Sound Of Animals Fighting, The Stiletto Formal, but I also enjoy bands like Protest The Hero, He Is Legend, The Number Twelve Looks Like You or Portugal. The Man and Circa Survive.
However, those are bands I listen to and not exactly the sound I want to achieve (even though I also play songs by them and others) - I couldn't describe this through listing a few bands, could I? So, please also post recommendations that go beyond these particular bands, I need to try things out anyways.

One of my main problems is the following: I don't always have the possibility to jam at the rehearsal room, thus I need to practice a lot at home.
So, should I buy a (cheaper) seperate practice amp (like the Roland Micro Cube, for example?) for home usage and a half stack for rehearsing and gigging (not even sure I could afford that at the moment)?
Or should I stick to a combo, use it at home and plug it to a cab when rehearsing etc.?
Or should I just buy an attenuator (how much are those anyway?) for practicing at home and a 30w combo (possibly let the PA taking care of the rest when gigging), would that work out?
What is the best option here?

My budget would be around 500€ (around $750, though I think current prices here are adjusted to the €, meaning that my budget possibly will be below $750), but I'm willing to spend more in any case - I just don't want to buy an amp knowing I will end up needing a better one soon. I consider getting a used one by the way since I want to get the best I can with the money I can spend.

I already looked around and tried things out, but at the moment I totally lack orientation. I've heard good things about Vox and Peavey recently (Orange as well of course, but then I could only afford a used one for sure), but I'm still not sure whether they will fit my style. Of course suggestions over the internet don't replace the experience of having played an amp, but as mentioned before, I'm looking for useful suggestions.

I plan on using pedals too, but I guess most of the amps at this price range won't have any problems with that.
I live in Austria btw, if the region somehow matters ..

excuse me for that lengthy posts, and thanks a lot in advance, any recommendations are welcome!
Last edited by amnesiacphlgm at Jun 13, 2008,
Personally I would keep saving for another month or so and start hunting down a Traynor YCS100H. It's a 3 channel that's surprisingly versatile when compared to other 3 channel amps, and can do a good job of everything from jazz to metal.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Personally I would keep saving for another month or so and start hunting down a Traynor YCS100H. It's a 3 channel that's surprisingly versatile when compared to other 3 channel amps, and can do a good job of everything from jazz to metal.

Unfortunately, Traynors are really difficult to find in Austria, or even Europe.
It sounds great though. I wish I had the possibility to try it out somewhere and just buy a used one maybe .. thanks for the suggestion!
Here's some anwsers, i hope they'll help:

1- The attenuator
I don't see the point of buying one if you don't have a full stack in a neighborhood at midnight.

2- The practice amp
Save your money for a better amp.... Anyway you can practice with your guitar unplugged.

3- Combo vs Half-stack
A combo seems a good choice since it's easily transportable. Since i think you might do rearsehal room - home quite often. As for gigs, rely on the PA.

4-Look out for
Randalls/Crate: Both offer good amps at a rathe low price
Marshalls: To get that indie sound, alot of those bands are on marshalls
Orange: i've heard they're a bit more affordable in europe than in the US/CA
Guitar rig 3: Many Effect and many dream amps for 500$.

5-Last words
go out and try you might heard of stuff from people but you're own taste and some local shop might exotic choices that will get you a sound of your own.
Quote by GearGeekSquad
Here's some anwsers, i hope they'll help:

1- The attenuator
I don't see the point of buying one if you don't have a full stack in a neighborhood at midnight.

2- The practice amp
Save your money for a better amp.... Anyway you can practice with your guitar unplugged.

3- Combo vs Half-stack
A combo seems a good choice since it's easily transportable. Since i think you might do rearsehal room - home quite often. As for gigs, rely on the PA.

4-Look out for
Randalls/Crate: Both offer good amps at a rathe low price
Marshalls: To get that indie sound, alot of those bands are on marshalls
Orange: i've heard they're a bit more affordable in europe than in the US/CA
Guitar rig 3: Many Effect and many dream amps for 500$.

5-Last words
go out and try you might heard of stuff from people but you're own taste and some local shop might exotic choices that will get you a sound of your own.

alright, first of all thanks for the answers!

1) but what wattage do I need then? I won't get good distorted sound at lower volumes with a tube amp, right? Or would a simple overdrive pedal do the trick?

2) the thing is, I need to practice plugged as well. of course I practice unplugged too, but often it isn't possible to add the desired touch not knowing how it would sound amplified.

3) the more I think about it, the more ridiculous the idea seems to me that I need to cary around an amp every time we have a rehearsal .. even if it's a combo. I don't know. I'm sure it would be ok for gigging, but I'd also like to have something at home, e.g. the Roland Micro Cube or an Orange Micro Crush - what do you think of those? Anyway, further suggestions are still welcome!

4) thanks for the suggestions! of you could add specific models it would be great and about marshall: as mentioned before, that particular indie sound is not my primary goal, just as a reminder.

5) will do. I need to talk to other people in my area, maybe they could show me a thing or two I don't know about yet.

thanks again for the help!

oh, and currently I'm really leaning towards a combo. nonethelss, if you have some recommendations for half stacks, they are still appreciated!
Last edited by amnesiacphlgm at May 9, 2008,
a simple od pedal WOULD do the trick. maybe a used JCM800 combo would do the trick. Can do the indie and witha good pedal should be fine for more high gain stuff. you can turn amps down, it really wqon't be THAT much of a problem. It might not sound quite as good, but you won't break any eardrums. You should sort out a decent amp first before you get a microcube or something.
Quote by mcrfobtai
a simple od pedal WOULD do the trick. maybe a used JCM800 combo would do the trick. Can do the indie and witha good pedal should be fine for more high gain stuff. you can turn amps down, it really wqon't be THAT much of a problem. It might not sound quite as good, but you won't break any eardrums. You should sort out a decent amp first before you get a microcube or something.

thanks for the comment, I will do some research .. the combos are quite hard to get I guess.

however, why shouldn't I go for a used orange rockerverb 50C for instance? or even a rocker 30? aren't they versatile enough?
Quote by GearGeekSquad

3- Combo vs Half-stack

I would like to make a comment on this. Tube combos are REALLY bulky and heavy.
and after a good amount of gigging (50+), i think that stacks are easier to transport.
This is only due to the fact that you can separate the head and the speakers.

my setup for awesome tone, volume, and transportability would be a head, one 2x12, and one 4x12. leave the 4x12 in the rehearsal space and only transport it for gigs. leave the 2x12 at home. and all you need to move is the head and your guitar between home and the rehearsal room. thus you will have proper volumes when needed and have amazing tone at all times.

it's kind of pricey, but i think it's well worth it.
yes the rocker 30 is a great choice for cleans, although if you want higher gain you would probably need a boost pedal (which actually sounds really good). however, if you compare it to something like a cornford or similar then the lead tone for that shredding probably wouldn't do it
you would get that indie tone spot on though
don't worry about the wattage, the amps are loud enough (trust me ), although i don't see why you can't just turn the volume down a bit when at home? everyone seems to have forgotten that now with attenuators and extra practise amps
the rockerverb 50 has a more american voicing than the rocker 30, so it depends what you like really. the combos are nice and easier to carry around,
hope that helps
Les Equipmente:
Fender '62 Tele Custom
Epi G400 Deluxe
Schecter C-1 SheDevil - might sell for a strat
Tiny Terror
AVT150 ^ speaker
Digidelay

WANT: boost of some sort
try a valve king pv
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
I would like to make a comment on this. Tube combos are REALLY bulky and heavy.
and after a good amount of gigging (50+), i think that stacks are easier to transport.
This is only due to the fact that you can separate the head and the speakers.

my setup for awesome tone, volume, and transportability would be a head, one 2x12, and one 4x12. leave the 4x12 in the rehearsal space and only transport it for gigs. leave the 2x12 at home. and all you need to move is the head and your guitar between home and the rehearsal room. thus you will have proper volumes when needed and have amazing tone at all times.

it's kind of pricey, but i think it's well worth it.

thanks for the suggestion, I'm afraid this is gonna be too expensive for me atm though ..

also, thank you very much randomcomicboy and hans, I'll try to find a way to try out the recommendations.

oh and yes I'm bumping this - the indie tone is getting redundant since the band is on hiatus now ..

one more thing: would you recommend a tiny terror? are pedals going to help me achieving some kind of versatility in my tone or is the TT a great but biased head? tia again!
im not sure if these amps are available in austrailia yet, but the bugera amps are suprisingly well made. i went to check one out the other day, and i was impressed. i played the 333xl (120 watt 212, 3 channels) and i thought it was really great for the price. the cleans didn't break up at all (he let me crank it to about 7 or 8) and the overdrive channel was pretty good as well. the distortion channel was a bit loose, but that was probably cause i was playing it pretty quietly, im sure it would tighten up when you get up to about 5 or 6. the built in reverb was okay, if you're playing stuff like circa survive you're gonna want to have a reverb pedal (may i suggest a used boss rv-3?).
plus it was under $800, but i guess thats out of your price range. i'd suggest a much smaller one for you, like a 60 watt or something.
best of luck.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I play in a similar type band (Fear Before, Circa Survive, Underoath type stuff) and use a Bugera 6260 combo. If it's available there, I would suggest snagging one. Mine has over 20 shows on it and it constantly delivers. It takes pedals well for all the effects you'll need for that style.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge