Page 1 of 2
Overdrive-
Overdrive is often confused with distortion due to a similar "kind" of sound.. but overdrive re-creates the natural warm sound of a vintage tube amp that is being "overdriven" or is breaking up. when a tube amps volume is pushed beyond its capacity, they "break up" and begin to sound crunchy and distorted, the resulting sound is overdrive.

o styles
- Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Classic Rock

Distortion -
Distortion is what makes metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... sound the way it does. you know what i mean, the crunchy riffs the screeming pinch harmonics and solos , that dirty ass bone crunching sound of death and pain marching across the land AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! that my friend, is distortion. Distortion clips the top and bottom off a signal, effectively making the sine wave, like this . Soft clipping is produced by tube amps overdriving and distortion/overdrive pedals. Hard clipping is caused by overdriving solid state circuits. distortion ranges from mild to ball shattering in intensity and thickness.

o styles
- Punk, Grunge, Heavy Metal, Death Metal and all other forms of metal you can think of
There is no difference between them...
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
well overdrive can be used for punk and rock, and even metal though, you dont have to use distortion fro those...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by The red Strat.
Overdrive-
Overdrive is often confused with distortion due to a similar "kind" of sound.. but overdrive re-creates the natural warm sound of a vintage tube amp that is being "overdriven" or is breaking up. when a tube amps volume is pushed beyond its capacity, they "break up" and begin to sound crunchy and distorted, the resulting sound is overdrive.

o styles
- Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Classic Rock

Distortion -
Distortion is what makes metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... sound the way it does. you know what i mean, the crunchy riffs the screeming pinch harmonics and solos , that dirty ass bone crunching sound of death and pain marching across the land AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! that my friend, is distortion. Distortion clips the top and bottom off a signal, effectively making the sine wave, like this . Soft clipping is produced by tube amps overdriving and distortion/overdrive pedals. Hard clipping is caused by overdriving solid state circuits. distortion ranges from mild to ball shattering in intensity and thickness.

o styles
- Punk, Grunge, Heavy Metal, Death Metal and all other forms of metal you can think of
What about High Gain Tube amps, Your post is full of wrong.
Quote by FRDesign

tell that to xifr.

you seem to know a lot about the difference, so why don't you tell me ?
Quote by Ventor
There is no difference between them...

lol. I hope that's a joke...

edit: I am soo sorry, I didnt mean to quote you...I see why you were mad...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last edited by fifer at May 7, 2008,
Quote by FRDesign

Indeed. Only looking at tube amps (which is what matters anyway because solid states just emulate them), there is ALWAYS distortion in the signal no matter what channel, or gain setting. On a 'clean' setting our ears can't hear the distortion so we perceive it as a clean signal. But it's not. The more you turn up your gain, the more the signal distorts in your pre-amp tubes. Overdrive is just another name for increasing the gain thereby creating distortion.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by fifer
lol. I hope that's a joke...

no it isnt...im acctuly trying to increase my guitar knolage here and ppl like you who arent going to offer any help just shut the **** up if you arent acctully going to make any form of valid input into the thread!!!!
Quote by eruption1988
no it isnt...im acctuly trying to increase my guitar knolage here and ppl like you who arent going to offer any help just shut the **** up if you arent acctully going to make any form of valid input into the thread!!!!

valid rant

to answer your question again, yes you can use overdrive with a SS. what made you think it possibly couldn't ?
Quote by The red Strat.
valid rant

to answer your question again, yes you can use overdrive with a SS. what made you think it possibly couldn't ?

because as mentioned before overdrive gives the sound of a tube amp being used to the max...so i thought that it could only be used with a tube amp....

does that meant that it would be possable to use an ibenez tube screamer with a ss amp then?
Quote by eruption1988

edit: sorry, I quoted the wrong person...but I fixed it now...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Last edited by fifer at May 7, 2008,
Quote by fifer
lol again. seems some people just cant take a little humor...I did say something valid, overdrive can be used for other type of music than what that one guy said... I said that when I was comenting on someone else...

so why dont you shut up?

lol.

how are you trying to add humor to it by asking if what i said was a joke...i asked a serious question and there was no need for your responce if your not going to make valid inputs just leave something alone and stop trying to piss people off!!!
Quote by eruption1988

does that meant that it would be possable to use an ibenez tube screamer with a ss amp then?

I might work but not as well as on a tube amp. You might have to turn down the gain a bit to keep it from sounding like crap
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by eruption1988
how are you trying to add humor to it by asking if what i said was a joke...i asked a serious question and there was no need for your responce if your not going to make valid inputs just leave something alone and stop trying to piss people off!!!

I know, I made a mistake. I meant to quote the guy that said that they were the same.

sorry, I changed it already...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
I know, I made a mistake. I meant to quote the guy that said that they were the same.

sorry, I changed it already...

Well I urge you to read a book about tube amplification
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
I might work but not as well as on a tube amp. You might have to turn down the gain a bit to keep it from sounding like crap

thanks for the advice...im only asking about ss amps coz im using one atm...cant afford a tube one really just now but im saving for one
Quote by Ventor
Well I urge you to read a book about tube amplification

no thanks. I can hear pretty clear. I can tell the difference when someone is using distortion and when someone is using overdrive (atleast when they are using tube overdrive, not ss with an overdrive..)
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
no thanks. I can hear pretty clear. I can tell the difference when someone is using distortion and when someone is using overdrive (atleast when they are using tube overdrive, not ss with an overdrive..)

So at what point does 'overdrive' go to 'distortion' according to you?
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
overdrive going to distortion? well as far as I know (of course I may even be wrong and you right) doesnt go to distortion. overdrive is always overdrive as long as the tubes are overdriving..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
overdrive going to distortion? well as far as I know (of course I may even be wrong and you right) doesnt go to distortion. overdrive is always overdrive as long as the tubes are overdriving..

The point is, overdriving a tube is increasing the gain so you are creating extra harmonics. These harmonics distort the sound. For tube amps there is no difference between them.
Solid states only distort.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
ok. well I guess I will have to do some more research to see if that is true. but it sounds like we are almost saying the same thing. I was saying that overdriving tubes and distortion (either from a pedal or onboard on an ss amp) were different sounds..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by eruption1988
because as mentioned before overdrive gives the sound of a tube amp being used to the max...so i thought that it could only be used with a tube amp....

You can use one, but the application is different. An overdrive pedal simulates the sound of mild tube distortion, that's it....contrary to popular belief they DO NOT "push the tubes" or any of that rubbish, they just pretend to sound like a tube amp.

If you have a SS amp they can usually do nice, pure clean tones and nasty, chainsaw distortion but very little inbetween...therefore an overdrive pedal can cover the middle ground for you and give you some nice low-mid gain tones.

If you already have a tube amp then there's no need for a box that simulates the sound you already have, however if you use an overdrive pedal in conjunction with the amps overdrive then the two distortion sounds tend to be complementary and "stack" nicely. It gives you more gain and tends to thicken the sound up a bit and also makes it a bit smoother. That trick simply doesn't work on solid state amps, all you get is an assload of noise and uncontrollable feedback.

If you want a stand alone overdrive for a solid state amp then the Boss Blues Driver is actually pretty good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ventor
Indeed. Only looking at tube amps (which is what matters anyway because solid states just emulate them), there is ALWAYS distortion in the signal no matter what channel, or gain setting. On a 'clean' setting our ears can't hear the distortion so we perceive it as a clean signal. But it's not. The more you turn up your gain, the more the signal distorts in your pre-amp tubes. Overdrive is just another name for increasing the gain thereby creating distortion.

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be; and if you want to get picky about using the right terms, you should do so as well. Gain isn't distortion or overdrive; it's simply (the amount of) amplification, even though this word has practically become interchangeable with saturation. Think about it; the gain control on your amp is nothing but a volume knob. Also, the way tubes distort signal (at lower volumes) doesn't have much to do with saturation/clipping, which is what this thread is about.

I believe we can blame pedal manufacturers for the whole overdrive/distortion confusion. It actually means the same thing; but when it comes to pedals there is mostly this difference: overdrive means low/medium gain, and distortion means high gain.
Quote by fifer
ok. well I guess I will have to do some more research to see if that is true. but it sounds like we are almost saying the same thing. I was saying that overdriving tubes and distortion (either from a pedal or onboard on an ss amp) were different sounds..

Yes because you're comparing apples & oranges
You overdrive tubes by increasing the gain (= increasing the voltage of the tubes), and as a result you get a distorted (or overdriven if you prefer) sound.
Ofcourse solid state / pedal distortion sounds different, they can never emulate an overdriven tube.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by mr_hankey
You're making this more complicated than it needs to be; and if you want to get picky about using the right terms, you should do so as well. Gain isn't distortion or overdrive; it's simply (the amount of) amplification, even though this word has practically become interchangeable with saturation. Think about it; the gain control on your amp is nothing but a volume knob. Also, the way tubes distort signal (at lower volumes) doesn't have much to do with saturation/clipping, which is what this thread is about.

I believe we can blame pedal manufacturers for the whole overdrive/distortion confusion. It actually means the same thing; but when it comes to pedals there is mostly this difference: overdrive means low/medium gain, and distortion means high gain.

not true IMO.

overdrive is soft(er) clipping, while distortion is hard clipping. distortion with soft clipping wouldn't be distortion anymore, and the other way around.
Quote by mr_hankey

and so overdirve does sound different from distortion...so I guess they are different... if they were the same they would sound the same..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by mr_hankey

I didn't say gain = overdrive, I said increase gain -> drive the tubes more.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by The red Strat.
not true IMO.

overdrive is soft(er) clipping, while distortion is hard clipping. distortion with soft clipping wouldn't be distortion anymore, and the other way around.

That's only true for solid states.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by The red Strat.
how is it for tube amps then according to you ?

Tubes only have soft clipping (unless you don't have much headroom).
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by The red Strat.
not true IMO.

A pedal (with some form of clipping) is a distortion pedal when the manufacturer says so. For example, I've got a Homebrew Electronics Big D, which is a distortion pedal. It's actually just a tube screamer, capable of a little more gain. There are also overdrive pedals with hard clipping.

Quote by Ventor
I didn't say gain = overdrive, I said increase gain -> drive the tubes more.

No, but you implied it IMO.
Btw if you want a good read, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
Tubes only have soft clipping (unless you don't have much headroom).

diezel, bogner, mesa, vht, 5150's and 6505's...
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by htsktim91989

diezel, bogner, mesa, vht, 5150's and 6505's...

What's your point exactly?
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
the fact that all of those amps aren't "soft clipping" whatever that means...
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by htsktim91989
the fact that all of those amps aren't "soft clipping" whatever that means...

You don't know what soft clipping means yet you claim these amps don't do it?
Soft clipping occurs when you drive a tube (by increasing the gain). Hard clipping occurs when you amplify the signal beyond the tubes capabilities so it clips the soundwaves.
On tube amps this generally is not desireable.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
so whos not to say im not the crazy kind of guy who loves playing with feedback and any other kind of wierd noise i can coax out of an amplifier? and how can you come in here and tell me what i know and don't know, when we have no idea who the other is, you incosiderate f uck. you talk about hard clipping like its non-existant, or not capable of doing.
Quote by evening_crow
Page 1 of 2