Ok, so I'm in the market for a new guitar and I want to get as close to As I lay ding's sound as I possible can. No I'm not in love with this band, but I just think that their sound is so great. It's all personal preference.

Anyway, I'm looking for an LP shaped body and what comes next is most important:
I'm looking to spend the least amount of money (~300$) for a guitar that WILL be able to handle this kind of sound, with different pick-ups. I don't care if the guitar sounds like crap stock, the only importance is whether it has the potential to shine with better pick ups

Oh, and an easy-playing neck wouldn't hurt either, since I'm used to the Ibanez necks and all
well it sounds like you want an amp. a new guitar wont make you sound like that band, but if you have the right amp you can sound like them..you will probably use more money than that though...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
No I need a new guitar. I have a Peavey ValveKing 212 tube amp which can duplicate their sound amazingly well, but sadly, my guitars can not keep up, because none of them have the right pick-ups, and I don't want to change them, as it is easier to just buy a new guitar and put EMG's in it.
I still dont think a new guitar at that price range will make much difference...but the only thing I can think of would be an epi les paul standard. used of course because they are like 400ish new..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Ibanez ART100. It's nearly the same guitar nick uses. only real difference is that nick's is a custom shop one. so it may me not a perfect match but i would say it's close enough. and I will buy a ART120 (European version) after summer.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Ibanez ART100. It's nearly the same guitar nick uses. only real difference is that nick's is a custom shop one. so it may me not a perfect match but i would say it's close enough. and I will buy a ART120 (European version) after summer.

The artcore series?
Aren't the pickups not that hot?
Quote by joeymaxx
The artcore series?
Aren't the pickups not that hot?

The ART come with active pickups but I'm going to sweep them out anyway since Ibanez guitars always come with mmmhha (not that good) pickups.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
The ART come with active pickups but I'm going to sweep them out anyway since Ibanez guitars always come with mmmhha (not that good) pickups.

Ah apologies, I thought you were on about a different guitar
TS you should save up a little more, as painful as it is.
Thanks for the info guys, the ART100 looks nice. Any more suggestions?
I was playing the ART300 last night and I thought it sounded okay... not as good as the Hellraiser that I want... but I kinda liked it. I just wish i knew more of what i was talking about so i could just play a guitar to tell if it was good or not :P
I'm not sure what Nick uses for pickups, but I know Phil uses EMGs in his Les Pauls so your best bet is probably to find an Ibanez or Epiphone LP that you like the feel of and throw an 81/85 set in. Keep in mind though that if you're getting a guitar for ~300 that the pickups are going to be around $150-200 depending on if they have to cut into it at all to accommodate the battery compartment. That being said you could expand you budget to around 450-500 for a guitar with EMGs already stock, you might even be able to find a better guitar.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at May 7, 2008,
A while ago on the Fernandes website they had a ad saying that one of the guys from AILD used a Fernandes Monterey. I don't know if he uses it all the time but they had a pic of him in concert using a balck Monterey Deluxe.
Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief.
Quote by Orange_AGO
A while ago on the Fernandes website they had a ad saying that one of the guys from AILD used a Fernandes Monterey. I don't know if he uses it all the time but they had a pic of him in concert using a balck Monterey Deluxe.

He used to use Fernandes but switch to Ibanez before An Ocean Between Us.

And yes. Nick uses EMG 81/85 now.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by fearo
No I need a new guitar. I have a Peavey ValveKing 212 tube amp which can duplicate their sound amazingly well, but sadly, my guitars can not keep up, because none of them have the right pick-ups, and I don't want to change them, as it is easier to just buy a new guitar and put EMG's in it.

Am I the only one who spotted this?

HOW is it easier to buy a whole new guitar and change the pickups then to change the ones on a guitar you already have?

Either way, all you'd need is EMGs or Blackouts. Ta-da...
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by helsinki_vampir

I played one and it felt great. The pups (the stock ones are active) sounded surprisingly good to me.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I heard that on their older albums the guitarists used an EMG 85/85 combo. I don't think that comes stock in any guitars, so you'd have to buy the pups seperately. If your looking for their tone though you should get a Krank Rev.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
I heard that on their older albums the guitarists used an EMG 85/85 combo. I don't think that comes stock in any guitars, so you'd have to buy the pups seperately. If your looking for their tone though you should get a Krank Rev.

Wow that's really odd...I've never heard of that combo before but I do seem to remember reading something about that somewhere.
If I had a Krank, I'd be so happy.

Anything Mahogony with a set neck and 85/85 combo will do you well.
Try looking at the Washburn x200 series, all have 81/85 EMG's and they're really well priced! I have one, check my profile if you want to see a decent pic of it.