Ok, here's a quick question. When I fingerpick, I always use the fleshy part of my fingers rather than the nails. Is it wrong? I am very worried about getting stuck with bad habits. I can't for the life of me see how to pick with the fingernails. First, my own are really short, but I tried to use fake ones that are strapped onto your fingers, and they just seem to get stuck on the strings, without flowing easily, the way I play now.
Just use the fleshy part of your finger. That's what I've always done, though I think picking with your fingernails is fine. It depends on the tone you want I guess
^ And also if you want to have long fingernails which most women would not like in their delicate lady parts lol.
The point of the nails isn't to pick directly with them.. You still use the flesh part of your finger, the nail hits it after the fact and gives a different tone. Also.. the pick side of the plastic/metal finger picks aren't supposed to go over the nail side of your finger, but over the flesh part of your finger instead. Not sure if you knew that.. that might be why they are getting caught on the string.

And ^^.. you've still got another hand.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
^^^ and a tongue.

As a rule of thumb, your nails should be about the length to where you could stand the fleshy bit straight up on a table top and the nail would just touch the table. That is to say the angle between finger and table should be 90 degrees.

That is not very long, and in my experience they do not interfere with those sensitive "lady bits"
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Great, thanks everybody for the replies! You've been really helpful. And yes, I did put the plastic fingerpick things the wrong way round . I feel stupid now.
Quote by C130
Great, thanks everybody for the replies! You've been really helpful. And yes, I did put the plastic fingerpick things the wrong way round . I feel stupid now.

Haha, I did, too, til the guitar store clerk told me I had them backwards.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm