Hello all

I'm new here so I hope this post doesn't break any rules.

I was wondering if there are any fans of this 70's rock band here on this forum?

They released six or seven albums of exquisite glam/prog/rock which featured the skills of English guitarist Bill Nelson. He fused rock'n'roll, jazz and metal into blazing guitar solos that were almost ( dare I say it? ) shreddy at times.

I noticed that there aren't many tabs for them anywhere so I have had a go myself.

If anyones interested, I have humbly posted a few here on UG, which I have found to be quite valuable as a self-teaching resource. Please have a look and see what you think.
This thread may be old.. but it needs more activity.

Honestly guys, check out Be Bop Deluxe. Bill Nelson is one of those seriously underrated guitarists who more people need to be aware of. Great guitarist, with a great solid state tone, too
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Be Bob Deluxe were fantastic. One of the most under rated bands (I dont know why) but one of the most talented bands. Guitar playing is out of this world.
Be Bop Deluxe..... OH YES!!!!

The first band I ever saw live was Be Bop Deluxe in the early 70s when they were touring the Futurama album. As a 15 year old kid I was completely blown away by Bill Nelson's blistering guitar licks, I was immediately "Hung up on these silver strings. Like sails, like seagulls cries. Like church bells in the night". As well as being a brilliant guitarist, Nelson was/is a gifted songwriter with his sturm un drang style songs with romantic lyrics, charming melodies overlaid with blues. With his charismatic vocals, stage presence and Max Factor he was as mesmerising as a glammed up David Bowie.
But Nelson was only part of Be Bop Deluxe. The late Charlie Tumahai (also visually bewitching) was a tremendous bass player and his licks as well as being funky, really made this three piece band sound like a five piece. Charlie also had a tremendous vocal range and would harmonize an octave above Nelson. Drummer Simon Fox is also a great musician who also fills in a lot of the space in the songs and the three of them will play in unison at times... Fox is my favourite drummer!

But I guess you guys here really wanna hear the guitar stuff. Nelson played a Gibson ES345 through a Carlsbro amp. His style was to play very melodic major and minor scales quickly, changing through pentatonic and blues scales.
So why isn't he one of the world's most famous guitarists? Between 1974 and 1978 the band produced 4 studio albums and 1 live album. None of these were particularly well promoted. Their best known work is the single "Ships In The Night" which doesn't even feature a guitar solo!!! So how would people discover them. This was the days before MTV.

In 1978 Nelson dropped prog rock and guitar hero status to reinvent himself as the leader of the radical new wave band Red Noise who produced one stunning album. Since then Bill has worked as a prolific solo artist producing a huge output of work. Unfortunately for us axe victims his work has featured very little guitar playing, focussing instead on synthesizers and samplers. No more blistering guitar solos but innovative atmospheric music. It seems Mr Nelson shuns fame and fortune, preferring to be on the cutting edge of new music.

If you want sample Bill at his best I suggest you listen to the 1975 album Futurama. You only need to listen to the first 10 seconds of the opening track "Stage Whispers" to know if it's for you or not. My guess is it'll blow your socks off.
Last edited by mondobong at Oct 1, 2015,