A brief history before I begin: I began playing in about the 4th grade. I played right up until I joined the Marines in 1990. Upon leaving the military, I more or less took a musical hiatus, playing very little over the next several years. Early this year I was asked to join a band. The setup I had (Randall RG-80 ('80s era) with Randall 4X12 with Jaguars and a borrowed ToneWorks AX100G) was working pretty well untill the amp just up and died in the middle of a show. In a scrambe and with little cash, I bought a Marshall MG100 HDFX. I guess it's O.K. if you like the sound of your guitar being played through a string with tin cans on either end into a karoake machine. For me, it's not the sound I want.

Here's my delimma:

I can get enough cash together for either a somewhat decent head. I'm partial to the Line 6 Spider Valve (because I can't afford a real Bogner). OR a good ME Pedal (I'm looking at either the Boss GT-10, Line 6 POD X3 Live, or the Digitech GNX4).

The type of music that we play is a heavy metal / blues / nu metal / alternative (think of Korn meets Rage meets Hendrix meets slipknot).

In your opinion, should I go with the new head (and work with the AX100 that I have now) or get a new pedal (and work with the MG100 I have now)?
When in doubt, save your money 'til you figure it out.

Make do with what you have, and save up for the Bogner. Multi-effect pedals are a huge waste of money.
The AX100 was a cool sounding pedal if i remember.. and nothing seems to make marshall mgs sound any better
Shut up and play your guitar!
Quote by Horlicks
How much money do you have to spend?

I'm looking at about $700, definitely not more than $1,000.