Hi, new here.
Just wondering where other V30 speaker users set their amp's mids to.
I usually have my mids set pretty high, to about 7. But with my new Mesa cab I find the recorded tone to be too middy and mushy. I'm attributing this to the notorious V30 mid spike.
Do any of you dial your mids back when using V30 speakers?
V30's are designed for people who scoop their mids in order to retain clarity
Last edited by Horlicks at May 7, 2008,
Regardless of speakers, my mids almost never dip below 9. If a room reverberates awkwardly and it starts getting muddy I'll cut the lows and compensate with the depth.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Its not really dependant on how much mid range you have to your sound, its how much mid range you have in comparison to the rest of your gear, tunings etc. I have mine at about 6 or so, but i boost the lower mid frequency to give it a bit more thump.
But i wouldn't expect someone to get a nice sound if their guitar was based around E for example, as i have the right amount of clarity for notes between B and F#.

I do know what you mean about the mid range honk that comes with V30's, when the cab is properly broken in you will find that it seems to just fade away as the speakers become older.
5.5 - 6 on my 6505+
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Horlicks
V30's are designed for people who scoop their mids in order to retain clarity
No, they're designed to be ceramic versions of the Alnico Blue.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Fine
V30's are suitable for people who scoop their mids in order to retain clarity
Quote by MrCarrot
No, they're designed to be ceramic versions of the Alnico Blue.

And fail miserably (at least at being like the blue).
Quote by mr_hankey
And fail miserably (at least at being like the blue).
Yup, true. Just making the point that Celestion didn't design it specifically for the midspike, it's just a characteristic of the Blue that is 'masked' by the Alnico.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.