More theory!

If we have an Amin7. That could be seen as C/A right? The notes C E & G are in Amin7.

So to get a more interesting sound, rather than just playing an Amin scale or arpeggio, we can play a C major arpeggio instead.

Same with G7. This could be Bdim/G. So we can play a B dim arpeggio no??
The list of these 'slash' chords are endless. Imagine the possibilities.
If you play an Am7 arpeggio.. you are playing the notes of a C major arpeggio already.. Could be easier to think of things this way, though.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
Am7 1st inversion = C6

There's only 12 notes to get all the chords from so it's not really surprising that they overlap.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by mdc

So to get a more interesting sound, rather than just playing an Amin scale or arpeggio, we can play a C major arpeggio instead.

Actually, you probably won't be getting much more of an "interesting" sound that
way -- you'll be emphasizing the b3, 5 and 7 of the Amin7 chord. It won't
sound much different. Any extended 7th chord and above will always contain
other triads.

If you want to get more interesting "colors" over Amin7, look to other triads in
the key -- Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, Gmaj, Bdim will all give a variety of in-key color.
Quote by edg
If you want to get more interesting "colors" over Amin7, look to other triads in
the key -- Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, Gmaj, Bdim will all give a variety of in-key color.

So if I was to play a Dmin argeggio or pentatonic of the Amin7 chord, that would give me a modal sound right? What mode would it be and why?

T
Quote by mdc
So if I was to play a Dmin argeggio or pentatonic of the Amin7 chord, that would give me a modal sound right? What mode would it be and why?

T

Not really. If an Amin7 chord were playing, and you played a Dmin arpeggio
over it you'd be suggesting Amin7 with an 11 and 13 added in.
I see, so its creating the sound of an extended chord. 11 would be the D right? I don't have a guitar with me so struggling to visualize. Where did the 13 come from.
The F of the Dm chord. Then the A is just a doubling of the root.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
Ah, when he said 13 I automatically thought maj 13. The F would be b13 right?
So our final chord would Amin11b13??
Quote by Stash Jam
the F would be b13 in relation to Am

Sorry, missed this post before posting mine. S'all good.

T for everyones help on this.
Last edited by mdc at May 7, 2008,
Yup, it could totally be that. What's more appropriate generally depends on the context. C/A might be in something like C C/B C/A G7 or something, but you won't see it in say a C circle progression. It'd be Am7.