Dear all,

I recently bought an iPod 160GB Classic. Previously I had used an Archos 605 for all my mp3 needs, syncing it with Windows Media Player.

So, I opened Itunes and clicked File/Open Folder and selected my 'My Music' folder with all my music in. After a few hours, all my music had been opened into Itunes and everything was fine. I synced my new iPod and everything worked.

However, today I attempted to sync my iTunes but was shown an error window stating something like 'iTunes cannot find the location of this music...want to locate it now?'. So, a lot of the songs in iTunes had this exclaimation mark beside them, highlighting a problem. I clicked 'Locate' and found one of the song's location, which enabled me to play that song again and cleared it of exclaimation marks.

I thought the problem was that my iTunes was having to find music stored in 'My Music' rather than 'iTunes Library'; so I selected all the files in 'My Music' and dragged them into my 'iTunes Library' folder.

Yet, to my surprise, this did not fix the problem and instead, when I opened up iTunes, it was blank.

All my music is located in the 'iTunes Library' folder still, but I cannot File/Open From Folder and open it into iTunes because it tells me that I don't have enough space on my C: (because I'm running low).

Is there anyway I can get my music back onto my iTunes? If so, where do I need to save my music in the future, etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Every time you move music to iTunes, its default setting is to copy the files rather than move them. Maybe that will help in some way, but I can't really tell what your problem with it is :\

Sorry I can't be more help.
Firstly move your music to a folder you'll know. E.g. Old Music.

Then delete everything from iTunes.

Now in iTunes, go Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General> and check the box next to "Copy files to my iTunes music folder..."

Now go File>add folder to library. Locate the "Old Music" folder and add it. As it adds the music, it'll copy it to the default iTunes folder.

After the music has copied, check it works and check it's reading from the iTunes folder by right-clicking any random song and going 'Get Info'. In the 'Summary' tab, check the 'location' at the bottom is the iTunes music folder.

Note, this previous step isn't necessary, but more an assurance that iTunes is reading from the right place.

Now feel free to delete the 'Old Music' folder to save yourself some hard drive space.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Now in iTunes, go Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General> and check the box next to "Copy files to my iTunes music folder..."

Now go File>add folder to library. Locate the "Old Music" folder and add it. As it adds the music, it'll copy it to the default iTunes folder.

Will either of these steps take up much space, because I'm running out pretty badly.

And also, thank you!
Quote by thepickups
Will either of these steps take up much space, because I'm running out pretty badly.

And also, thank you!

They'll take up as much space as your current music collection. After its finished, you can delete the old collection and you'll be at the same point as you were.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
They'll take up as much space as your current music collection. After its finished, you can delete the old collection and you'll be at the same point as you were.

****. Because I have 30GB of music and only 1GB of space.

Is there any way of getting around this?
Plug your iPod in, change it to manual update.

Move your 'My Music' file to the iPod's hard drive as data (go via My Computer).

Take the My Music folder off your computer's hard drive.

Follow my previous steps from the part that begins "Then delete everything from iTunes..." but where I referred to 'Old Music', locate the folder instead on your iPod's hard drive.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK