Hi. First of all, sorry for my English, I’ll try to explain myself as clearly as possible
So, I want to buy an acoustic steel guitar. I’m a beginner (actually, maybe even a n00b), with very little skills and knowledge, but very big willing to learn and to perfect. The problem is that I live in Armenia, and it’s very difficult here to find a good instrument at an affordable price (only 2-3 good music stores, no on-line shops). In one of these stores there’s an option to order a guitar from Yamaha, so I’ve choose to go that way. As far as I have read in forums and reviews, it’s preferable to start from a FG700S, FG720S or FG730S (I need no electronics). But there’s also the FS720S, a folk-guitar with smaller body, which is a plus for me. Now, the worst part: prices. FG700S - $320, FG730S - $470, FS720S - $400. It’s a robbery, I know, I know [desperately crying in a corner]. $470 is too much for me now, so I’ve to choose from FG700S and FS720S (attention, not the FG720S). Personally, I like more the FS720S, but I have not seen anyone of these guitars physically (not in store, have to order and wait a month), so please help me: It is worth to pay $70 more for a FS720S, instead of FG700S? And generally, is it “safe” to go Yamaha. Please tell me about the FS720S (action, materials, I-don’t-know-what, you guys know it better than me), there are very few reviews and opinions on it in the web. Thanks.
Ara, you can't go wrong with the FG700S (great guitar), and yes, it is generally safe to go with low-end, solid top Yamaha guitars. I've never played an FS720S, so I can't help you there.
my friend just bought a fg700s and its great .. i personally own the fg730s .. and i think they both sound good and playability is great
Actually, I'm leaning more towards the FS720S, so it would be nice to hear some opinions or advices on it. Thanks (ara ) for tellig about FG700S.

P.S. Forgot to ask: is there any similar Yamahas with cutaways? (but no electronics)
Last edited by feleq at May 8, 2008,
I have a Yamaha FG700S, and it is a very solid guitar! I recommend it to anyone looking for an acoustic in that price range. The price can't be beat for the quality as well.
Quote by feleq
Actually, I'm leaning more towards the FS720S, so it would be nice to hear some opinions or advices on it. Thanks (ara ) for tellig about FG700S.

P.S. Forgot to ask: is there any similar Yamahas with cutaways? (but no electronics)

Nope, Sorry.

And personally, I would go for the FG700S. I never felt that the FG720S was worth the extra. The FG730S, yeah probably worth it, but not the FG720S.

The FG700S is a fantastic guitar. They sound good, play well and are pretty high quality all round. Best guitar for the money really. Also, seeing as your from Armenia and it sounds like theres not a lot of option, the other options for that price range that are available in the US and UK will probably cost a LOT more.
Quote by johnos
Nope, Sorry.

And personally, I would go for the FG700S. I never felt that the FG720S was worth the extra. The FG730S, yeah probably worth it, but not the FG720S.

The FG700S is a fantastic guitar. They sound good, play well and are pretty high quality all round. Best guitar for the money really. Also, seeing as your from Armenia and it sounds like theres not a lot of option, the other options for that price range that are available in the US and UK will probably cost a LOT more.

While I agree with you that the FG720s isn't worth the extra cash (at that price might as well just save up for an FG730s), the OP is asking about the FS720s (a small bodied guitar), not the FG720s.
Quote by johnos
personally, I would go for the FG700S. I never felt that the FG720S was worth the extra

Please note that I'm asking about the FS720S, not the FG720S. There's a difference in size and shape of their bodies (although I don't know exactly how much, I have never seen anyone of these two).

FG700S
FS720S

Is the FS720S very small for an adult player (like junior size etc.)? I would like to have something more comparable in sizes with the classic nylon-string guitars. As I understand, dreadnoughts are a bit bigger, no?
Quote by feleq
Please note that I'm asking about the FS720S, not the FG720S. There's a difference in size and shape of their bodies (although I don't know exactly how much, I have never seen anyone of these two).

FG700S
FS720S

Is the FS720S very small for an adult player (like junior size etc.)? I would like to have something more comparable in sizes with the classic nylon-string guitars. As I understand, dreadnoughts are a bit bigger, no?

Ooops. Sorry mate!
I still stand by by choice of the FG700S because it's an such a good guitar and it's at such a good price.