So, I was just minding my own business, gradually dozing off with the radio on in the background, and all of a sudden 'Alice Practice' by Crystal Castles came on. After being in total awe for its 3-minute duration, and after giving up looking for a drummer, I really fancy trying this stuff out. I love that 8-bit sound!

So, how would one go about it, then? I want a slice of the pie! I also want to dabble in other stuff, too. If you've heard 'Conceived Sorrow' by Dir En Grey; that kinda stuff.

So, any help for a (rather poor- be nice on the budget!) fledgling electronic musician?
Get a synth.

/thread.

EDIT: Seriously, using just a keyboard and some computer software you could pretty much create an entire album.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
FL Studio.

You have to pay for it. Unless you *nod nod wink wink* know where to go.

edit: further to what the guy above said, get the FL Studio by questionable means and buy a midi controller keyboard to interface with it.
Sounds like a good idea... I'll need a new laptop first! Seriously, relying on a Wii as your sole interwebz source sucks massive balls.
Crystal castles use a microkorg synth with an atari chip in it........theres more about it in there wiki article

Crystal castles are awesome
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
yea midi controller + softsuynths is the cheap easy route. and for your "8-bit" sounds. That's all FM synthesis.
If you can find a Yamaha DX-7 that still works they are awesome for this sound(first FM synth made if I recall correctly)
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
Crystal castles use a microkorg synth with an atari chip in it........theres more about it in there wiki article

That's cool, I've also seen mods for NES(6502 Chip) and Z80(Gameboy, Genesis' sound chip) based synths
Quote by Fiddelers elbow

Sexual! So, how much would a Microkorg and the necessary modding stuff cost?
FL is good, I also suggest learning how to how to use MAX/MSP check my profile to see some of what you do with it
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You can still use your guitar however a MIDI controller of some kind would be the best option. You need to use an effect called a Bitcrusher which will produce that 8 - bit (or any bit for that matter) sound. decrease the amount of bits in the sound which lowers the resolution of the sound. All Bitcrusher's are digital so your best option in some form of software effects package.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Get a TR-808 and Korg synth. Done.

Or just download Reason and get a MIDI controller. Done.

CLICK THE SIG.
Quote by Fiddelers elbow

+1

They put on an amazing live show, so much energy. Especially since they brought the live drummer on board.

Buy or download the album, it's fantastic.

EDIT: I had no idea other UGers liked Crystal Castles, I had them down as a band that people would flame them into the floor on here. Although I suppose a great many user still would...
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Last edited by -February-Star- at May 7, 2008,