say you come up with a really good riff, but you don't know if it's already used in a song by someone else, how would you know?
Play it to other people without telling them what it is.

I.E round your mates pick up there guitar and play it. If people go "oh is that [band]" then its not a good idea to use it.
listen to every song ever written.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
The chances of coming up with something 100% original are slim to nil.
Just use the riff, if you find out its taken alter it a bit.
i can't tell whether tobyfellrunners is joking or not, but he's quite a doucheba either way
I'm not joking, and I'm not a douchebag. All you idiots who post in the wrong place seem to hate being reported. If you took it to the right forum, it wouldn't be reported.

Enjoy your warning jackass.
this is the right place, songwriting and lyrics, this is songwriting related, so... fairly straightfoward really
If it's about riffs then it should go in Riffs and Recordings. Enjoy your warning =)
surely riffs are part of songwriting, and how am i supposed to enjoy my warning... OOOOOOHHHHH, it was a joke hahahahahahahahahahahahaidiot
Quote by TobyFellrunners
I'm not joking, and I'm not a douchebag. All you idiots who post in the wrong place seem to hate being reported. If you took it to the right forum, it wouldn't be reported.

Enjoy your warning jackass.

he wouldn't be reported if their weren't jackasses that got off on *reporting* people.

its a legitimate question, and not really out of place, seeing as this is a "musician talk" forum.

Quote by TheShadow
If it's about riffs then it should go in Riffs and Recordings. Enjoy your warning =)

Riffs are part of music, and something that musicians would talk about.

To the TS:

I would say not to worry about it. Write whatever comes natural to you. If your are not consciously ripping something off, you most likely have nothing to worry about. If you do write something that sounds too much like something else. You'll hear about it well before you get a record deal and get sued.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 7, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
he wouldn't be reported if their weren't jackasses that got off on *reporting* people.

its a legitimate question, and not really out of place, seeing as this is a "musician talk" forum.

To the TS:

I would say not to worry about it. Write whatever comes natural to you to write. If your are not consciously ripping something off, you most likely have nothing to worry about. If you do write something that sounds too much like something else. You'll hear about it well before you get a record deal and get sued.

When I reported him, it was in the wrong forum, and he had been abusive towards me. So learn what's going on before poking your nose in pal.
And apparently everyone is wrong

This is Musician Talk. We DO sometimes deal with copyright issues in here, so the thread is appropriate, even if it doesn't have a real answer.

Advanced Techniques are for actual guitar playing techniques, so that is NOT the correct forum.

Riffs and recordings is also NOT the correct forum.

Despite what you might think, Flipaningage, you are actually NOT in songwriting and lyrics right now, and this would not belong there anyway.

Toby, you were asking for trouble from the beginning by saying "pal" after your report: if you're going to act like an ass to people, don't be surprised if they treat you like one. Warnings for both flipaningage and toby for flaming each other.

edit: ahh, this seems to have been moved, hence the confusion. Warnings for flaming still stand.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
And apparently everyone is wrong

This is Musician Talk. We DO sometimes deal with copyright issues in here, so the thread is appropriate, even if it doesn't have a real answer.

Advanced Techniques are for actual guitar playing techniques, so that is NOT the correct forum.

Riffs and recordings is also NOT the correct forum.

Despite what you might think, Flipaningage, you are actually NOT in songwriting and lyrics right now, and this would not belong there anyway.

Toby, you were asking for trouble from the beginning by saying "pal" after your report: if you're going to act like an ass to people, don't be surprised if they treat you like one. Warnings for both flipaningage and toby for flaming each other.

edit: ahh, this seems to have been moved, hence the confusion. Warnings for flaming still stand.

Fair enough, though I don't see how saying pal was asking for trouble, I didn't mean it that way, I tried to make it seem as if I wasn't reporting him for the sake of it, if that makes sense.
Quote by TobyFellrunners
When I reported him, it was in the wrong forum, and he had been abusive towards me. So learn what's going on before poking your nose in pal.

Ok Pal.

Well say its in the wrong forum. So what? does it really matter that much? If you just let people answer his question would that have been so bad?
Quote by TobyFellrunners
Fair enough, though I don't see how saying pal was asking for trouble, I didn't mean it that way, I tried to make it seem as if I wasn't reporting him for the sake of it, if that makes sense.

I really don't understand why people freak out so much when you say *reported*. It's like taboo or something. If you're wrong, you're gonna get your thread closed, oh no! If you're right, then nothing will happen. It's like jeez, if you know you're wrong and don't want to admit it, close the damn thread and take people's advice. Like christ.
Speaking of which, I'm going to report this now and suggest it be closed. The TS can't see this because he's been banned, and this will only turn into a flamefest.

*reported*