I have been playing bass for over a year now and I am thinking of getting a new bass. I currently have a Tanglewood starter bass, which is quite good but nothing special.
I have been looking at two basses mainly, these are the Fender Standard Jazz Bass(upgrade)[£340] and the Fender highway 1 jazz bass(upgrade)[£500]. I am unsure though whether the Highway is worth the extra £150 and if there is much difference between the two.
I have played the Highway at a local music store and enjoyed it very much, but I haven't yet played the Standard as I don't think my GC stocks it.
I will be playing almost anything between blues and hard rock but probably not metal, grimecore etc .
My price range at a push is probably around £550 but no more. So if you have any other suggestions for a versatile bass suitable for a beginner-intermidiate player they will be welcomed. Looks like I've rambled on long enough so I'll end it here.

Thanks in advance.
SB.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
if your shop matches prices, quote them the one from spector sound and get the standard jazz for about £340, then just buy a new bridge, that's what i'm halfway through doing (got the bass but not bought the bridge yet) you should check out the leo quan badass II bridge, it'l go straight on to the bass and all you have to do is get the grooves filed into the saddles
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
But what I want to know is if the £150+ more on the HWY 1 is really worth it when if I buy a standard I can upgrade it gradually (bridge p'ups etc.).
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
But what I want to know is if the £150+ more on the HWY 1 is really worth it when if I buy a standard I can upgrade it gradually (bridge p'ups etc.).

The HW1 has better build quality the MIM can never match, and better base materials such as the woods. Half the upgrades you would get a MIM are already on the HW1, and if you upgraded the HW1, it would be far better than a MIM can ever be.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Thanks you've all been a great help. After reading all this I think I'm leaning towards a 'burst HWY 1
Quote by guitarhero_764

The HW1 is easily my favorite Fender product (both bass and guitar). Probably the most striking difference between the two basses you listed is the finish type. The HW1 has a smooth satin finish, while the standard has a laquer finish. It all comes down to feel for those two.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
If you play both side by side you will notice the difference in how it feels. I mean the MIM feels a lot cheaper.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Is it worth 150 pounds? 1000x yes.

Not 150 pounds, 150 pounds more than the MIM
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.

the H1 worths the extra money
the MIM is overpriced IMO not really great or good for the price
and i would save for american standard

the wood on the MIAs is way better than wood in MIMs and you cant upgrade wood
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I say definately worth it, MIM's do feel cheap after playing an American
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.