ok so i was looking through the forums and im looking to get a free recorder for the computer and most people recomend audacity. i tryed downloading it but the free version is just a simple 1 track recorder. is that how its supposed to be???
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
ok so i was looking through the forums and im looking to get a free recorder for the computer and most people recomend audacity. i tryed downloading it but the free version is just a simple 1 track recorder. is that how its supposed to be???

Well you can record multiple tracks.

Unless you've downloaded something else/a really old version.

But audacity, it think it's like 1.2.6?, has multiple track records. Just keep clicking the record button and you can overdub yourself to your hearts content!

I think there's some basic effects built in as well somewhere.
I wouldn't recommend Reaper for beginners...I know I'll have fun with it but it's overwhelming at first (even for me, and I have used Pro Tools and Digital Performer). I've heard good things about Mixcraft 4 (recently released, it's a little more than Reaper), and it's less complex.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I actually thought Reaper was a fairly easy program to learn...and I was moving from Audacity at the time...it took about a month before I figured out most of the features for myself...

BTW I noted something else. Audacity and other programs are just sequencers. They are not "recorders"...you will want an interface of some kind to get the audio to your computer and keep the quality up...unless you are just doing this for fun. If that's the case, just run audio to the line in port on your computer sound card and see what you get.
Quote by moody07747
.. try Reaper..

Reaper aint free, is it? Only for the first month?
Quote by zadzior
Sir, Awesome stuff. You have my respect!
Quote by neon-black
aw i love your song! sell it n' it would deffo be a smash!
Quote by veggiederek
this is great. you've got the words!
Quote by kiaraiswicked
... Wauw... It really paints a picture and leaves the rest up to the imagination!
Quote by TheKermal
Reaper aint free, is it? Only for the first month?

Yeah you can't really compare the two.

Obviously a paid for program will be better than a free one. I'm assuming that the TS was looking for a similar program for free. If he'd wanted something super-high quality then he'd have paid in the first place.
ok, i don't want to make a whole new thread but i have a question.

i'm a recording noob.

ive been playing guitar for a long ass time, just never really recorded anything. (other than at friends' houses)

now my question is.. if i download audacity, how would i record guitar riffs/songs/ ect.?

like plug into the computer or what.

sorry for such a noob question.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Use a mic or a line in input, depending on whether you have either of these or how much you want to spend.

Seriously though questions like that should go here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584790

It's the Audacity Help And FAQ thread. Send all questions there.