When I got my bass (a beginner Ibanez GSR200), it worked fine until I started noticing it had some fret buzz. Then suddenly, my D string became unplayable. If I tried to play any note open to 5th fret, there was nothing but buzz and vibrations. And even after the 5th fret, there was still some buzz to it. Later on, the same thing happened to my A string. It's unplayable up until the 5th fret as well. My E and G strings tend to buzz a little as well. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but the strings do look like they're touching the 3rd fret directly. I don't have the money right now to pay for a guitar store repair, and no one around me can help out. And I don't know anything about guitar/bass repair or tools I need.
sounds like your neck is bent to hell. try adjusting the truss rod.

unwind the A and D strings until you can move them out of their notches at the nut. Then take of that cover on the headstoch and stick a hex key in there and adjust it until the neck has a slight outward bow

EDIT: outward as in away from the strings.
Last edited by guylee at May 7, 2008,
the action probably needs raising and truss rod adjusting, if you don't know what you're doing you can really mess up truss rod, i say save up and take it to a guitar store (mine only charged $25, not too much money) or even just take it down there and ask how to repair it and they should be able to tell you how
rawr
sounds like the trussrod, but i dont see how it could by itself get more tension, thus bow harder. i mean the other way around yeah... but this? i mean (as an example) when strings get out of tune their pitch flattens not sharps, because the string losens tension
I'd love to take it to someone who knows what they're doing, but I've heard the only place in town that can charges $80 just for something minor like my problem.

(I also asked an older guy who knows a lot about repairing, mechanics, physics and stuff, and he suggested that I unbolt my neck, put washers where the screws were, then rebolt the neck on. Sounds kind of.. sketchy, so I'm probably not gonna try it with just his opinion.)
Quote by Fool's Paradise
(I also asked an older guy who knows a lot about repairing, mechanics, physics and stuff, and he suggested that I unbolt my neck, put washers where the screws were, then rebolt the neck on. Sounds kind of.. sketchy, so I'm probably not gonna try it with just his opinion.)

NO...BAD!

Your bass just went out of adjustment. Take a look at this page:
http://fender.com/support/basses.php
you need to loosen your truss a bit and raise you saddles. Then you will probably have to re adjust your intonation. (Which I have never been able to do on my GSR200, but its close enough)
You're right. If it had anything to do with neck angle, the problem wouldn't arise out of the blue. The suggested treatment also gives exactly the opposite result, i.e more strings hitting the frets at more places.
Truss rod adjustment might be off as suggested here above. Googeling these three words will surely land you on a site explaining how to measure and how to correct this.

Personally I would check if it is not a fret coming out of its slot, particularly the 5th fret. You can easily check this by laying something straight, a short ruler for example, over the 4th, 5th and 6th fret and see if this touches all these three frets simultaniously. If such a ruler wobbles with the 5th fret being the pivot point, my guess is right.
Correcting this might be easy; just gently tapping it back in place using a soft hammer. If this doesn't work, more expertise is needed, for then the fret has to be removed and the slot reworked.
Terb is right. Very very bad idea to put a washer or shunt in between the neck and the body to adjust the neck angle.

There is a decent write up in the FAQ on how to adjust intonation and work the truss rod. Read that and what terb has posted and if it doesn't make sense, find a pro. I once messed up a guitar trying to adjust the truss when I really didn't understand what I was doing. A good pro will do it for you for about 50USD or less and if asked, will show you how to make the minor adjustments yourself.
Quote by anarkee
There is a decent write up in the FAQ on how to adjust intonation and work the truss rod

Damn! I always forget the Bass Forum is lucky enough to have such a fine thread
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737491
I like the Fender page because it has numbers. I like to set my bass up to the numbers they suggest, then adjust it slowly as it suites my needs.

When my EB went out of adjustment, I was scared to touch the thing. I brought it to the local shop and he showed me how to adjust it then charged me $5USD for the inconvenience.
Last edited by terb at May 7, 2008,