3 17%
Good
4 22%
Fair
6 33%
Bad
5 28%
Voters: 18.
Hey fellas, I don't know if anyone is aware of this but Shinedown has just released they're new single "Devour" the lead single off they're forthcoming album to iTunes and Radio. A heavy and fast one if I may say so...but what do you users of ultimate-guitar think? Good? Bad? Fair?
If I may correct you, it would be a follow-up to the 2005 Gold-certified album "Us and Them". But a proper follow-up is expected with the hype the band built behind the album.
Quote by Dischorus
If I may correct you, it would be a follow-up to the 2005 Gold-certified album "Us and Them". But a proper follow-up is expected with the hype the band built behind the album.
I mean it would be the follow up to Leave a Whisper that Us and Them SHOULD have been. That album was less than stellar in my opinion so that would make this CD a PROPER follow up.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Not to piss in your boots, but "Us and Them" was incredible. I can't say enough good things about that album. Sure, it was different from "Leave A Whisper". But, hell, in a damn good way.
Leave a Whisper was my fav
MUSIC

Black > Classic

UG BLACK BRIGADE

Quote by punkforlife93
hit him in the balls, prefferably from below so as for maximum testacular pain

Quote by Strato-Massacre
1) stick him in his kisser, quick!
2) repeat step one.
Cd is going to be much heavier so i cant wait. They have 2 new guitar players and i have devour on a burnt cd. Heard it a few weeks ago..
The most talented man on earth...
Yeah me too..and yes they did get new guitarist. Nick Perri and Zach Myers. On the other hand, Jasin Todd (former guitarist) recorded all the material on the new album, so you will still get that old-school vibe yo
I'm a little worried about them trying to go harder/heavier. Not that I don't think they can pull it off-because I think they can. But because they're the only modern band that's doing straight up hard rock and roll that I'm really into. Brent has arguably the best voice in modern rock, I think it's a tough one to top. Leave A Whisper was very good, and Us And Them was great. I'll wait final judgment until after it comes out.
Yeah that's very true...like there isn't enough heavy stuff out there. I loved both styles of both albums so I'm not too worried about it..
I loved both their CDs and I absolutely love Shinedown. However, I hate Devour (a part of me dies each time I say that). The lyrics are lame, Brent is using too many effects on his voice now and it just doesn't sound like him anymore, and the overall song just doesn't have that "Shinedown" feel. Maybe it's just me but the chorus almost has an 80s hair metal vibe to it.I think Sound of Madness will be a great CD, but I wish they would have released Junkies For Fame instead of Devour for the first single. I'm hoping they have more songs like Heroes on their new album, I liked that side of them.
Quote by __Ronnie__
I loved both their CDs and I absolutely love Shinedown. However, I hate Devour (a part of me dies each time I say that). The lyrics are lame, Brent is using too many effects on his voice now and it just doesn't sound like him anymore, and the overall song just doesn't have that "Shinedown" feel. Maybe it's just me but the chorus almost has an 80s hair metal vibe to it.I think Sound of Madness will be a great CD, but I wish they would have released Junkies For Fame instead of Devour for the first single. I'm hoping they have more songs like Heroes on their new album, I liked that side of them.

I think you may be speaking too soon. For me, Shinedown is a band you have to dig into to find the true elements of the band. And I think that same concept applies for they're songs. In other words, there not some catchy band that makes the same songs over and over. With that being said, I think you ought to give it some time to sink in. Sure it's different, but isn't that the definition of innovation. The same innovation that made Rock and Roll?

I'm starting to come around to the song alot more than I did last week and I think America has too. "Devour" sat at #40 last week and this week, moved up 25 spots to #15:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?f=Hot+Mainstream+Rock+Tracks&pageNumber=Top+11-20&g=Singles
I've certainly dug into Shinedown all I can, I have both CDs as well as some of their rare B-sides and stuff. I respect the fact that they are going for something totally different, but I still don't like Devour. Maybe it will grow on me a little but it will never replace Heroes, Save Me, Fly From The Inside, Trade Yourself In, Better Version, etc... With all that aside, I still am very confident that Sound Of Madness will be great.
Quote by Kevdracula
Leave a Whisper was my fav

Agreed… that was awesome… though I barely got to listen to it, it was still good.
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Quote by __Ronnie__
I've certainly dug into Shinedown all I can, I have both CDs as well as some of their rare B-sides and stuff. I respect the fact that they are going for something totally different, but I still don't like Devour. Maybe it will grow on me a little but it will never replace Heroes, Save Me, Fly From The Inside, Trade Yourself In, Better Version, etc... With all that aside, I still am very confident that Sound Of Madness will be great.

Well you are very right in saying that "Devour" isn't any of they're other song because a song is it's own song. Just as to say nothing will ever be "Devour". But I have complete faith in the song. I really wasn't impressed with "Save Me" when I first heard it. But a month later, I couldn't get enough of that song. It just takes time. It's only been 2 weeks, man. So you can't really say "I've given it all the time I can". Not exactly saying you have to love the song just because I'm starting to, because some things just don't appeal to others. I'm just saying; Give it time and keeping listening to it.
I do see your point. I'm seeing them live at Rock on the Range tomorrow and they'll play it, maybe it will grow on me live.
definately not a bad song, you gotta give the band credit, they went over to iraq and wrote this song about their experience. I like it as an intro to the cd, but i have a strong feeling this isnt going to be one of the stronger songs on the album. go to youtube search "shinedown cyanide" for a real kick ass song... there are other videos from that live show as well and all the songs sound better then devour and its kinda crappy quality so i cant wait for june 24th... ps nicks doing a better job on guitar then jasin ever has.
I'm still not crazy about seeing the song but I will admit one thing, it is much better when they play it live.
Quote by Dewey1040
definately not a bad song, you gotta give the band credit, they went over to iraq and wrote this song about their experience. I like it as an intro to the cd, but i have a strong feeling this isnt going to be one of the stronger songs on the album. go to youtube search "shinedown cyanide" for a real kick ass song... there are other videos from that live show as well and all the songs sound better then devour and its kinda crappy quality so i cant wait for june 24th... ps nicks doing a better job on guitar then jasin ever has.

I'm very anxious as well...I've listened to most of those new live songs and have to agree...but I did think the same thing about 'Save Me' when 'Us & Them' came out...I thought somethin like 'Lady So Divine' would just destroy the charts. Anywho..the new Shinedown cd should be stellar.

P.S. Nick didnt do a damn thing on the new album. Jasin did all the guitar work, Perri just gets to play it all. A little correction for you.
i loveee it. i can't wait to go out and buy their new cd.
whee! =)

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.
I loved LAW, and U&T had a few good ones, but not as impressive as LAW. I saw them for U&T and they were one of the worst bands I've ever seen... Brent and co. had almost no stage presence as he kept looking out over the crowd, but wouldn't look at anyone in the front row, the rest of the band stayed about 10 ft. back. I was really disappointed. I heard devour, and it was OK, but I think the live show still left me w/ a sour taste.
their last two albums were good. i loved them.....but devour just seems to be empty and not shinedown at all
Yea....enough said.