Hey, guys and girls. I'm pretty new to this forum, but not to the one thing that I'm sure we all love and enjoy; the guitar. I've been playing for about ten years, and have always revolved my riffage, my lickage, and my overall playing around the blues. As such, I seem -- maybe it's all in my head -- to be stuck in the pentatonic box. I post this in hopes that one (or all) of you can give me some advice on how to break OUT of aforementioned box.

Any help would and will be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

--Hec
yes, this is the wrong forum. go to musician talk like gonzaw said.

but since you asked, I might as well answer.

why change? sure, itd be good to mix it up but look at what slash (and many others) have done. would you ever guess that most of his solos are pretty much blues oriented? Playing the blues only is not a bad thing, it just depends on what's happening around it. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to break out, cause you should. but that doesn't mean you should completely change. develop your own style with a ???/blues feel. I'm sure it'll sound sweet.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Its_Rock77
yes, this is the wrong forum. go to musician talk like gonzaw said.

but since you asked, I might as well answer.

why change? sure, itd be good to mix it up but look at what slash (and many others) have done. would you ever guess that most of his solos are pretty much blues oriented? Playing the blues only is not a bad thing, it just depends on what's happening around it. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to break out, cause you should. but that doesn't mean you should completely change. develop your own style with a ???/blues feel. I'm sure it'll sound sweet.

Thanks for the advice. :-)
i scale i use to play blues is
(in any key)

------------------------------5-8----
----------------------6-8-9-------------
-----------------5-7-----------------
------------5-7------------------------
-------5-8-----------------------------
--5-8----------------------------------