I need help solving this problem

Ok so for a long time now (probably about a year) my dvd-rw drive(d) on my computer doesn't work. It won't read anything. We've tried contacting Customer Service when this started happening and, well it didn't help. (we were perserverent though, we called many times) So here's a pic of the drive properties. If you need anything else I'll post it up.

Notice how it says 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free space. I don't know what that signifies but it caught my eye.

I don't know alot about how the computer works, just what it's supposed to do

PS: I dunno how long that pic will last it is off resizr.com...

EDIT:I've tried troubleshooting and I didn't understand alot of it. But either way it didnt work...
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
Its a cd drive not a hard drive,why would it have disk space?.Find some drivers for it,that might fix the problem of it not reading anything.

Where would I find drivers for it and what are drivers(...*embarassed*)
It could possibly be a bad driver. If you downloaded any new drivers for the drive, go into device manager and roll back the driver.. If you haven't updated any drivers, go into device manager and see if there are any updates that you can download and try.

Edit: Drivers are basically the software that allows the device (your dvd drive) to communicate to your computer
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Disk drives don't have any disk space (just checked mine) so you're fine on that account. You're probably missing drivers, which will allow the drive to work, but if that's the case, it normally comes up saying 'Driver missing'. Does it on yours?
Quote by TheShadow
Disk drives don't have any disk space (just checked mine) so you're fine on that account. You're probably missing drivers, which will allow the drive to work, but if that's the case, it normally comes up saying 'Driver missing'. Does it on yours?

No it doesn't say "driver missing"
Have you actually got a CD in there?

First, install the latest drivers for it. (Control Panel/Device Manager>right click>update driver)

If it still doesn't work, then open the case and check the cables are plugged in properly.
Quote by SoccerRM1
It could possibly be a bad driver. If you downloaded any new drivers for the drive, go into device manager and roll back the driver.. If you haven't updated any drivers, go into device manager and see if there are any updates that you can download and try.

Edit: Drivers are basically the software that allows the device (your dvd drive) to communicate to your computer

How do I check for updates? (im in device manager)
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
Do you know the manufacter of the disk drive you could probably get the newest drivers from their site.

Well the manufacturer of the disk drive would be the manufacturer of the computer no?

And I would only call the company if that was the only way I can fix it.
when it says 0kb/0kb free space that means its not recognizing the disk...take apart cd rom and clean the lens w/ alchohol and a cotton swab...make sure to dry it off w/ a swab 2...if that doesnt work then ur prolly ****ed cuz u prolly have to right driver for it
Quote by leonardo.kornuto
You're pretty

ty
also as for the drivers being dell, the cd rom mite not be the original that was in it O_O
You're pretty

ty
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep

Before I look at the site, is a driver an object that you can hold? (like a print cartridge) or is it something you download?
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
Its a cd drive not a hard drive,why would it have disk space?.Find some drivers for it,that might fix the problem of it not reading anything.

its meaning space on disk...like the dvd or cd zero/zero means theres nothing on it or its not reading it properly
You're pretty

ty
Quote by ++BuCkEtHeAd++
add me on msn for halp!

I don't have msn and I appreciate it but Baah I'm A Sheep is trying to help me atm and holding conversations with two people over the internet is difficult.

I appreciate it alot though
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
Yes but I wasnt talking about a cd in the drive I was talking about the drive itself.

ya it doesnt say nething about space being on it...just about the disk thats y its 0/0
You're pretty

ty
Umm. TS, I wouldn't bother with drivers or anything here. I'd probably say that your lense is either dirty (in which case a lense cleaning kit will fix it), or damaged (in which case a new DVD drive will be needed).

Honestly, I'd just go with a new drive. They cost £20/40USD.
Ok, so I downloaded a whole bunch of stuff that said they were drivers from that sight you gave me Baah... Unfortunately they either didn't work, or didn't do anything. Of course i don't know what the heck I'm doing. I download the stuff and then a folder pops up with the stuff in it. I don't know what to do from there if I am supposed to do something.

And saphrax if times goes by and I still don't know how to fix it I'll just get a new one. But for now I wanna see if i can just fix it from my comp.