ok, ive been messing around with drawing wiring diagrams and such, mostly google images for sources. i know about basic circuitry, but pots.

there are 3 "prongs" (for lack of better words), but i dont know how to connect them, hot, ground, and when the third one isint connected. and when wiring multiple of them, what order should i put them, tone or volume first? and lastly, why connect the capacitor to the ground.

thanks
Quote by Skar578
ok, ive been messing around with drawing wiring diagrams and such, mostly google images for sources. i know about basic circuitry, but pots.

there are 3 "prongs" (for lack of better words), but i dont know how to connect them, hot, ground, and when the third one isint connected. and when wiring multiple of them, what order should i put them, tone or volume first? and lastly, why connect the capacitor to the ground.

thanks

The capacitor is only on the tone pot, and it's to bleed certain frequencies out of the signal, to the ground.

There are three lugs.. from left to right (upside down, facing you):
Input, output, ground.

Edit: You'll see the first two lugs mixed up. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter whether the first and second are in-out or out-in. The pots still roll the same way.

Put them in whichever order you need them, it makes no difference really. If you're having a master volume and two tones, you'll need the tones before the toggle, then the volume after. If you're having two volumes and a master tone, you'll need the volumes before the toggle, and tone after. Etc.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at May 7, 2008,
alrighty, so how do you you wire the pots differently to make one control tone and another volume?

Example, the output of the first (say volume) goes to the input of tone, then that output goes to the jack? and the capacitor wires from ground of the tone?
The volume control is wired as a potential divider so the output wire goes from the centre tag which serves the slider.

The track end tag goes to the pot casing and connects to earth through this. The input wire goes to the opposite track end tag.

The tone control is wired as simple variable resistor in series between the signal path and earth.

See picture