Right so I am soon to be building my own bass.
I have always wanted an explorer shape and since the only decent explorer shape bass is the warwick stryker, I have decided upon making my own. (Mainly because im poor!)

Yeah so the explorer has jazz bass pick ups shape already drilled in so im gona get some jazz pick ups. But i want the bass to be really versatile so what pickups would you suggest?

And yes I do know it is down to personal preferences and I am going to be going around testing different pups out I just want some ideas.

Thanks in advance guys
Quote by terb
you should route it out to fit soapbars and put in the single/double coil EMG pups!!
http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=27&catalogid=116
No particular reason, they just seemed like you can get a ton of tones out of having single/double coil option.

It seems like a good Idea but i dont really wana do any re-routing. I failed wood work miserably.
Last edited by 6stringbasshred at May 7, 2008,
Are you getting all of you stuff from Warmoth? Because I had the exact same idea about 3 months ago. Of course I never came across the money to do it.

Seymour Duncans make great jazz pickups but I can't really say how versatile they are...except that they get the three main tones I need (Blues, Metal, and Classic Rock)
Quote by FullMetalBass
Are you getting all of you stuff from Warmoth? Because I had the exact same idea about 3 months ago. Of course I never came across the money to do it.

Seymour Duncans make great jazz pickups but I can't really say how versatile they are...except that they get the three main tones I need (Blues, Metal, and Classic Rock)

Yeah im getting the neck and Body from Warmoth.
Warmoth can pre-rout for your prefered pickups, those J's are only 1 of the options
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
May I just say that Seymour Duncan's do not make great Jazz pickups, at least not the ones I've had. And like DoubleBasser said, Warmoth could rout the basses to fit any shape you want. If you want humbuckers or a P/J they'll do it. If you want J's for the versatility (I would) definitely check out noiseless pickup options, like Samarium Cobalt Noiseless, Bartolini, and Carvin (you'll have to be specific about the routing if you want Carvin, they don't fit the standard Fender styled J bass blueprint)
DiMarzio also seem quite good for versatile pickups.

Also, MEC's are fantastic.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'd say Dimarzio too, are you wanting anything more than being versatile?
Sorry if this is off topic, but I've been looking around and I can't find an answer. I've heard about pickups that can be switched between active and passive. Do you need some special type of pickup to be able to do it or can most active pickups do it with the right preamp.

(back on topic) yeah, I'd go with Dimarzios. I've always liked how they sound.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
^What you might have been hearing about is active/passive preamp switches. As far as I know pickups cannot be switched in and out of active, but preamps can be active or bypassed to be passive with those switches.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^What you might have been hearing about is active/passive preamp switches. As far as I know pickups cannot be switched in and out of active, but preamps can be active or bypassed to be passive with those switches.

That's it.

Thanks, man.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Quote by Nutter_101
DiMarzio also seem quite good for versatile pickups.

Also, MEC's are fantastic.

i second MEC pickups, they are extremely versatile, my only problem with them is they don't have that vintage tone they are more modern
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.