Howdy folks. I've been looking for a new project since I'm bored beyond belief, and I figured I'd start with something different since I've modded two strats, a p-bass, LP and a somethingorother (I can't remember, it's been a while . . .) already. Annnd I saw this:

(full page at http://www.gear4music.com/Electric_Guitars/G4M_Electric_Guitars/Metal_X_Guitar_by_Gear4music_Blacksefv_5.html )

It has a licensed FR, which I'm definitely interested in, having always wanted to play around with one but I've never had the chance. Clearly a warlock ripoff but I can't say I care.

I'm a bit concerned about the makers, since it's a cheap-as-hell company, but I got my P-Bass from there when I first started out (its since been reshaped and defretted . . ) and I really liked it. Well, still do like it. The quality was surprisingly good. Not altogether sure if that was just pot luck though, and no-name pickups and hardware concern me. That said, I want a project anyway so how bad could it be?

Anyway, I was thinking I'd strip the paint off the thing (That's rule one, all of my projects begin this way) and give it a matte finish. Probably black and red. Maybe swirled since I've never tried it before but I kinda doubt it, it'll probably just end up as black with impulse red designs.

One idea I had considered was spraypainting the whole thing an orangey red and then spraying black cracked-finish paint (see my LP refinish) over it to make it look . . . lava-y. But I kinda doubt that's gonna happen as I hate working with crack finish paint.

Anyway, a new paintjob and a new set of pups and hardware would probably make it an alright guitar. Whadayall think? Stupid to take a cheap guitar and put all the work/time/money into it? Paintjob suggestions?

Peace out.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
i think its a brilliant idea. as for the paint, midnight black and red pinstriping
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by surge666
i think its a brilliant idea. as for the paint, midnight black and red pinstriping

Cheers mate As for striping, I think I've overdone it to be honest. My somethingorother guitar has stripes on it, as did the strat I refinished for my girlfriend, and the bass will have EVH-style stripes when finished . . .
i cant tell, are you from the UK or austrailia? i lived in the UK for a while. i have a EVH stripe LP epiphone and its up for trade on UG right now. i love pinstripes, they can make a peavy look good
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by surge666
i cant tell, are you from the UK or austrailia? i lived in the UK for a while. i have a EVH stripe LP epiphone and its up for trade on UG right now. i love pinstripes, they can make a peavy look good

From the states actually, but I live in Scotland.
Yeah gotta love the EVH stripes. My first guitar was painted EVH stripes. In fact, I painted it like that months before I even learned to play . . .
i am from london and i lived in cornwall for a while. redoing guitars is half the fun of having one
HiMyNameIsMatt
Couldn't agree more, surge666!

And I hadn't really thought about the quality of he FR I just figured that a licensed FR would be built to a reasonable standard . . . or it wouldn't be licensed.
Quote by even_flow
Couldn't agree more, surge666!

And I hadn't really thought about the quality of he FR I just figured that a licensed FR would be built to a reasonable standard . . . or it wouldn't be licensed.

The licence is just to use the patented design, that's all. You could buy a licence, then make a trem out of fudge, and it would still be a 'Licenced Floyd Rose'.