Hey,
I wanted to make some clips with my CBB while my folks are gone, but I really want to play it with some other speakers (the Jensens in it are too bright, and I want to try my CBB with my peavey blue marvels in my classic 50, which I actually quite like). Anyways, the CBB has an 8 ohm output, but is it safe if I plug my 4 10" 16 ohm blue marvels into it?
I've always been confused about ohms (i'm bad with technical stuff).

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ohms is a term used to measure resistance....i really dont see a problem here.

edit..maybe aloss of output? because your resitricting the voltage more.?
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Alright, can anyone else help here?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm new to the whole ohms thing as well, but I believe that's a bad idea. If you're just plugging it into one cab (or one output if you're not using a cab, or whatever), you'll need to match the ohms. So you'll need 8 ohm speakers, or if you can change the ohms on the CBB then it'll need to be on 16 ohms.

However, if you somehow manage to get two different cabs of those 16 ohm speakers, then you'll be able to use them just fine with your 8 ohm CBB. It's confusing. Btw, I only learned this stuff yesterday while trying to figure out if a Carvin Legacy head would be compatible with my cab.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
haha its probably to do with the resistance laws in paralell and series. its not confusing just a little hard to explain without a demo.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Alright. I'll just forget it.

Thanks though
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If your amp is outputting at 8 ohms, that means it has to "see" 8 ohms of resistance from the speakers.

EDIT: I did the math wrong, lol... if your cab has ALL its speakers connected in parallel, your cab will have an overall impedance of 4 ohms (cause four 16 ohms in parallel is 4 ohms). So no, you couldn't do it.

BUT! It depends how your cab is wired. Just doing a brief run-through in my head, I don't believe you will be able to hook up those four 16 ohms to your amp in any configuration. Sorry!

Edit 2: I'm not sure how you are doing the speakers (pulling out, replacing; cabs, combo, etc). BUT... if you took TWO of your 10" 16 ohms... you could connect those in parallel, and have 8 ohms.
Last edited by CyBerAliEn at May 7, 2008,