I'm having a bit of trouble changing chord progressions in my songs. Every time I change from the main progression to another progression or riff for the chorus of the song or whatever nothing I write fits together well. Is there any theory behind doing this?
Also, any tips for changing timing?
Last edited by david_safc at May 7, 2008,
I would say to make sure they are in the same key and the strumming is similar.
+1 Keeping in the same key

One of my friends, when he writes songs, will transfer from the verse progression to the chorus progression by starting the chorus with the same root chord. So if the verse progression is G C D he, a lot of the time, will start the chorus progression with a G. His reason is the strong connection between the verse and chorus. Definately not the only way to do it, but a good way to change feel between the sections while keeping a strong connection.

Don't have any great tips on changing timing, could use some syncopation to transition to another time sig.
Last edited by zoomy74 at May 7, 2008,
well, it depends on a lot of this. you can switch from C major to E phrygian to A minor to C major pretty seamlessly. you just want to make sure your keys match up. theres really SO many ways to do it, its unreal almost.
Ok thanks, just had a mess around and using some of the chords from the original progression really helped me a lot.

Quote by z4twenny
well, it depends on a lot of this. you can switch from C major to E phrygian to A minor to C major pretty seamlessly. you just want to make sure your keys match up. theres really SO many ways to do it, its unreal almost.

I know exactly what you're saying here, just I really need to learn theory about chord progression before I put it into practice really, but I know how modes work because I've just started touching on them with my teacher. I hadn't really thought about how they would work like that.
Last edited by david_safc at May 7, 2008,