I've never really played around w/ any tuners, but I now need one for stage use. I need to be able to see it easily in partial darkness & obviously needs to be true bypass. I don't need any tunings other than standard E tuning. I'm not too concerned about cost, just about ease of use & visibility. Thanks in advance for your help.
PS- I'm buying one in a couple hours, so I need info pretty quick. Otherwise, I have to test them out (which takes too much time) or rely on info from some salesperson.
I just need info from people that use them all the time.
Thanks.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Your suppsed to just leave the subject as FREE BEET, and then once people OPEN the thread, tell them what you actually need. When you tell them up front, you might as well just say you need a decent tuner right from the get-go.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I like the planet waves strobo-stomp. Ive used it for like 2 years and its great. adds no coloration or anything.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
i can't believe that worked... Boss TU-2's are good though.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
the boss tu-2 is definitely the best choice. 100 bucks on musiciansfriend. definitiely worth it.
The Peterson strobo-stomps have a great rep.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
the peterson strobo stomp is pretty much top of the line as far as pedal tuners go, well that i know of anyway. accuracy within +/- 0.1 cent, true bypass, and a bunch of options no one would ever use. never actually tried one, but the specs make it sound nice.

for a cheaper alternative, ive been eyeing the kork pitchblack tuner. true bypass, accuracy to within +/- 1 cent and look sturdy. again, ive never tried it personally, but it looks nice and has good specs. and since everything else seems to be +/- 3 cents, its more accurate.
korg pitchblack.
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Korg Pitch Black or Ibanez LU20 are great true-bypass tuners, the Korg is more accurate, but I honestly don't see why you'd really need to be THAT accurate anyway, it's not like anyone would notice, I seriously doubt you would even noticed it.

I have a Planet Waves tuner and it's great, it's not true-bypass, it's "true-hard-bypass" or something like that, but it doesn't color your sound at all that I can tell and is bright as hell for live playing or in the dark, great tuner.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 7, 2008,
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Your suppsed to just leave the subject as FREE BEET, and then once people OPEN the thread, tell them what you actually need. When you tell them up front, you might as well just say you need a decent tuner right from the get-go.

I was going to do that, but I didn't want the mods to warn me for false advertising!!
If you noticed, since I did not REALLY mislead anyone, I actually got free help from jof1029 too .
Thanks for all the suggestions. I always knew Korg made quality stuff, so I'll probably try that first (unless it's like $200 or something). The store I use doesn't have Peterson (I don't think). Of course I'll try to check out all of your suggestions. At least it's narrowed down to 4 at this point.
Thanks a bunch, gang!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

psssttt, you dont need to tack the numbers onto my name, ill respond to jof

and if you did just leave the title as free beer, i probably would have changed it to something stupid. just cause i like messing with you guys like that.

and yes, the peterson is $200, so it seems like you may not want to go with that one. outrageous for a tuner that doesnt turn the knobs for you (there is actually a tuner that does that for $50, but i wouldnt trust it).
The Planet Waves tuner is a solid bit of kit, but I don't really see anything wrong with the TU-2. It's a design classic. And although it can often be beneficial, anyone who says they 'need' true-bypass, I'd wager they couldn't actually hear the difference in a blindfold test.
Quote by glaz31
korg pitchblack.

so you have one?

:/

anyway, i'd like to try the korg.

and i Really appreciate true bypass because everything builds;
a bad power wire, a faulty patch cable, a loud pedal.

bypass gives me one less thing to worry about.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
so you have one?

:/

anyway, i'd like to try the korg.

and i Really appreciate true bypass because everything builds;
a bad power wire, a faulty patch cable, a loud pedal.

bypass gives me one less thing to worry about.

yup.

for $89, its quite a catch. cheaper than a tu-2 or a dt-10.
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Pitchblack FTW
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I've had two Planet waves go bad right out the box. Loud hum and noise when bypassed. Its a known issue on alot of the forums. Bad batch or something i guess.. But still made me steer away from them..
Get the Korg Pitchblack if you're willing to pay that much for a tuner... I just use some cheap thing that I hook up to the dry output of my Digitech Whammy. By the way, how do you like that original MXR ten-band EQ?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
The strobostomp is my favorite. I had a hard time justifying the price, but I like being in tune. REALLY in tune. It's jarring the first time you use it, when you hit a barre chord and it sustains longer and you can hear the root harmonic and you go, "ohhhhhh, I get it!"
Theres a little one you clip on your headstock and it tunes it through the vibrations. It works really well and lights up. It was about £20 from my local guitar shop but they sell a bit high, being a local store and all.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
i've heard great things about that planet waves pedal tuner
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Damnit!

I dont know if this is true, but I've heard that practically everything is based around Boss, so other tuners are slightly inaccurate? Dont know though...
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Damnit!

I dont know if this is true, but I've heard that practically everything is based around Boss, so other tuners are slightly inaccurate? Dont know though...

I direct your attention this this post:
Quote by jof1029
the peterson strobo stomp is pretty much top of the line as far as pedal tuners go, well that i know of anyway. accuracy within +/- 0.1 cent, true bypass, and a bunch of options no one would ever use. never actually tried one, but the specs make it sound nice.

for a cheaper alternative, ive been eyeing the kork pitchblack tuner. true bypass, accuracy to within +/- 1 cent and look sturdy. again, ive never tried it personally, but it looks nice and has good specs. and since everything else seems to be +/- 3 cents, its more accurate.

Between the Strobostomp, the Pitchblack, and the TU-2, the TU-2 is actually the least accurate.
I bought this Dean Markley PT13 off of musiciansfriend yesterday; it's got True Bypass, die cast metal housing, +/- 1 cent accuracy and is only $70.

I can shoot you a PM when it gets here if you want me to .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I would buy a clipon tuner, like an Intelli IMT-500 or something.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by jof1029
psssttt, you dont need to tack the numbers onto my name, ill respond to jof

and if you did just leave the title as free beer, i probably would have changed it to something stupid. just cause i like messing with you guys like that.

and yes, the peterson is $200, so it seems like you may not want to go with that one. outrageous for a tuner that doesnt turn the knobs for you (there is actually a tuner that does that for $50, but i wouldnt trust it).

Thanks, man.
I went to the local shop late yesterday (I hate GC) & checked out their tuners (after all the great suggestions), & really liked the Planet Waves for it's display (they actually had the Peterson (didn't try it due to price), but no Korgs . I wound up getting the PW one, & when I got home, I found the battery catch broken already (like someone mentioned earlier-easy breakage-wotta cheesy catch on such a solidly built piece of gear!). I'm returning it today, & will try the Peterson (although I don't understand why a tuner needs to be the size of a six-pack. The thing is HUGE). I hate to shell out $200 for a tuner when my ears work fine, but I only want to buy ONE tuner EVER, so that thing appears to be the
SH!T. God help me. My main guitar only cost me a bit over $200 .
Thanks agian for all your great suggestions!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by riffhog at May 8, 2008,