I know how to record video, and I have great stuff for recording sound. My question is, how do people do them together? Do you use a video software to record the video part, audio for audio, and then sync them later? This seems kind of over complicated, is there anybody out there who is knowledgeable?

Jason
^I think he wants to use the audio from what he gets on his computer, but record himself as he's playing. I think people just make the sound come out of their speakers as they're recording.
I have alot of good equipment and software so Id like to use that to record aduio rather than using a video camera or some other proprietary software. I really really appreciate the smartass comments though guys, thats awesome, your awesome
What exactly is your equipment? You can probably get a Y cable and an additional cable, and plug the output of whatever you are using to the camcorder's audio port, so no synching's required.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Record seperately and sync, its painful but sometimes it can actually be the easiest.
I wouldn't recommend movie maker but it is a starting point at least....

The better software is Sony Vegas or Adobe premier pro, those can be downloaded as trials if you want or you could download some p2p software
I have a AKG Perception 200 condenser mic that I plug into my M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB audio and I use Ableton Live 7.01 to record it all on my computer. Recording twice seems like it could be doable, but then it isn't really true to the watcher and I don't really want that. I really like to be able to do stuff with the multiple tracks that my audio software gives me, but I want to be able to have a high quality video also. Sorry guys, Im not trying to be picky I just want to do things right. Thanks for all your help.
Quote by |2eM!x
I have a AKG Perception 200 condenser mic that I plug into my M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB audio and I use Ableton Live 7.01 to record it all on my computer. Recording twice seems like it could be doable, but then it isn't really true to the watcher and I don't really want that. I really like to be able to do stuff with the multiple tracks that my audio software gives me, but I want to be able to have a high quality video also. Sorry guys, Im not trying to be picky I just want to do things right. Thanks for all your help.

What's the camcorder? There are tons of outputs that you can use: http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/media_hqpics/FastTrackPro_back.jpg

Just plug some into the camcorder's aux input.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

I dont have a camcorder, I was thinking of using my computer with its built in camera since it records pretty well on its own. Do you think a camcorder is the right way to go?
Well, a camcorder will provide a massive boost in video quality. Then again, Live should be able to take your camera's footage (as a video file) and sync the audio with it.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by take_it_t
Record seperately and sync, its painful but sometimes it can actually be the easiest.

Yea thats what I do.
Record video with a miniDV camera,
Record audio with my interface and PC (export as .wmv)

Finish shooting everything, transfer the video to Adobe Premiere, fix the audio and import it to premiere, sync the two. To sync easily, clap your hands before recording a good take, then you can sync from that point but edit it out in the final run though.

Premiere is hard to learn but works well if you have a miniDV camera...I suggest Windows movie maker to start out on but be aware than its not a great program to deal with, lots of crashing and limits...

This guy has some great youtube videos but took some of the training ones down since he started some DVDs and a new website for himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIeYPtFKuBM
http://www.markapsolon.com

If you get his basic Camcorder Techniques you should find it very helpful.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 8, 2008,