Hello, im wondering what amp would be best to get a tone around A Wilhlem scream,Dying in arms - Trivium intro etc.

Price range - Around $200

Guitar - Ibanez rg370dx

Pedals- digitech rp150, EHX metal muff

Don't recommend a valve jr --- nothing against it, i hear its great.

I was planning on buying a Roland Cube 30 , but I wouldn't use any of the effects so I would rather not pay for them.

Thanks UG !
Quote by sno cone
Anyone want to help a brother out?

Sorry, I'm an only sibling.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Well I would suggest saving up for a tube amp and then using an overdrive pedal over the amp distortion (if there isn't enough distortion for metal, and you won't need a distortion pedal to boost the amp that much, just a tube screamer type thing)

But if you don't want to save up, I would go with either a crate or line 6, I know I'll get flamed for this and i hate the amps too, but for 200 dollars, It's hard to get something better. And with those amps you won't neee the metal muff to get metal style gain.

Another option would be to get a Roland JC-120. Not sure on the price, but Your metal muff should sound great on top of it. It's got some of the best clean tones, but the amp distortion is useless. But this thing is loud enough for just about anything.

So I would suggest either saving up for a fender or traynor amp and using a overdrive pedal to boost it over the top, A crate or line 6, or A JC-120 with the metal muff.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
what are your ideas on a peaveys such as the 110 and which crate/line 6 would you recommend?, ive heard crates are MEH and line 6 are just the same :p. The only reason i don't want a tube is because i don't want to go through replacing tubes and the such.

Btw the Roland JC-120 is about $900
Last edited by sno cone at May 7, 2008,
Quote by sno cone
The only reason i don't want a tube is because i don't want to go through replacing tubes and the such.

So that's why you don't want a Valve Junior? That's a pretty dumb reason imo.

Unless you're going to be cranking it everytime you play it (and yes, that thing gets LOUD for 5 watts), you'll have to replace the tubes in it maybe every year, maybe even longer depending on how much you play it. It only has a few tubes in it, retubing would cost probably $30, if that, and the sound quality from it will be much better than any SS you can get for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
So that's why you don't want a Valve Junior? That's a pretty dumb reason imo.

Unless you're going to be cranking it everytime you play it (and yes, that thing gets LOUD for 5 watts), you'll have to replace the tubes in it maybe every year, maybe even longer depending on how much you play it. It only has a few tubes in it, retubing would cost probably $30, if that, and the sound quality from it will be much better than any SS you can get for the price.

+1

I've personally seen tubes last like 2-10 years just take care of them and your usually good to go for a while..
I think you should save, to be honest. The $200 you have wouldn't get you a notable improvement in volme, tone, or flexability, without sacrificing one or more of the three.
Hear, hear! You'll not get an amazing amp at that price. Sound, reliability, and versatility will be shady. Why not just use headphones through your RP until you get some more dough, eh?
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by carniferous
Hear, hear! You'll not get an amazing amp at that price. Sound, reliability, and versatility will be shady. Why not just use headphones through your RP until you get some more dough, eh?

Eh!
Quote by sno cone
The only reason i don't want a tube is because i don't want to go through replacing tubes and the such.

Yeah, I hear that. I have no lamps in my house because I hate changing the bulbs.

But the VJ is probably a good choice for you being that you already have pedals to play thru it. You're not going to get much for $200. So you need to either alter your standards or save up some more. Also check out used gear.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ah, maybe i'm just misunderstanding tube amps, so they basically don't usually break, and you will just have to replace the tubes every once and awhile. If thats the case, Which tube amp should I get for the price to get close to the tone i desire. Will the Valve jr be able to produce good metal and hardcore sounds? and should i get the combo or the head, and what do i have to worry about with tube amps like heating wise as in should i turn it on and wait to play etc. Thanks!

Also, will 5W tubes be enough to play with friends( drums+bass etc) without blowing out the amp?

The reason I said around $200 even though I have more is more because my parents wouldn't want me spending too much moolah on an amp

Im still open to all suggestions
Last edited by sno cone at May 8, 2008,
The VJ is perfectly capable of good metal tones. Get a Bad Monkey to compliment your Metal Muff and to help tighten up the low end just a bit.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I'm basically looking for the same thing as TS. I'm gonna check out the VJ today, but it needs a pedal for any gain/distortion effects right? So basically I should get a Metal Muff since I like to play numetal type stuff ya?
Quote by TechnicolorType
You're gonna' need to pay more then 200 bux for a tone like that.

Id prefer if people would only post helpful things, i know i cant get the exact tone thats why i said reasonable etc
Quote by sno cone
Ah, maybe i'm just misunderstanding tube amps, so they basically don't usually break, and you will just have to replace the tubes every once and awhile. If thats the case, Which tube amp should I get for the price to get close to the tone i desire. Will the Valve jr be able to produce good metal and hardcore sounds? and should i get the combo or the head, and what do i have to worry about with tube amps like heating wise as in should i turn it on and wait to play etc. Thanks!

Also, will 5W tubes be enough to play with friends( drums+bass etc) without blowing out the amp?

The reason I said around $200 even though I have more is more because my parents wouldn't want me spending too much moolah on an amp

Im still open to all suggestions

The VJ won't be able to produce good metal sounds by itself, with your Metal Muff, it's possible. I'd probably go with the head + cab over the combo because the combo comes with a smaller speaker if I'm not mistaken.

However, 5W tube won't be enough to be heard over drums. But, neither would the 30W Roland Cube you were looking at. If you want something with enough power you're going to need to spend more cash. 60W SS and 15W tube is the least I'd use with a drummer.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
hmm MF has a sale going on for $200 Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60DFX, are these good? and would i be able to get a nice sound like i talked about with it?