I want to buy a new Amp, I currently have a Line 6 Spider II 212, which 150 watts and its nice. But I want to get a head and cab, with some pedals to try and find my best sound. Im looking on spending around £300 - £400 which is roughly $700 and I wanted to know if there is any decent amps for that price. The sound I am going for is Metal/Hard Rock!

Cheers UGers!

Drigg
My Gear!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Line 6 Spider II 212
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby

Fender DG-5 Black Acoustic
Axl AG-659 Acoustic
For $700, nothing tube. I'd stick with the Spider for now and save up. At least it's got some metal tones.
Do you play arenas?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
what would you say the minimum budget would be? for a decent head and cab
My Gear!
Line 6 Spider II 212

Axl AG-659 Acoustic
check a carvin V3, used head is roughly $500ish and a cab should only be around $300 so that is almost on budget. Otherwise Bugera is cheap and is kinda like a Mesa.
you don't need a head and cab.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73876

This will do you absolutely fine; good metal tones and all the power you need.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Im looking for something alot bigger, for gigging with. The Line 6 is cool, but it isnt tweakable enough and playing pedals through it sounds awful loses alot of effect
My Gear!
Line 6 Spider II 212

Axl AG-659 Acoustic
Quote by haggard101
Im looking for something alot bigger, for gigging with. The Line 6 is cool, but it isnt tweakable enough and playing pedals through it sounds awful loses alot of effect

Look, I will say this only once more after this:

YOU DO NOT NEED A HALF STACK!

You just need about 30-50w of tube power, a combo will do you fine and be cheaper in the long run.

The combo I posted does metal and clean tones perfectly well and has all the power you will ever need; I will only say this once more after this.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Anyway, other than this dick, moaning about a lil randall amp... anyone else got an recommendations!
My Gear!
Line 6 Spider II 212

Axl AG-659 Acoustic
Quote by haggard101
Anyway, other than this dick, moaning about a lil randall amp... anyone else got an recommendations!

Anyways, I'd say the perfect amp for you would be a Marshall MG halfstack.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Nah, I used to work in a guitar shop in which we couldnt shift the MG's as they sound ****... We got like 10 of the MG100HDX in and only 1 sold, but that was to the shop across the street which the company part owned haha
My Gear!
Line 6 Spider II 212

Axl AG-659 Acoustic
Quote by haggard101
Nah, I used to work in a guitar shop in which we couldnt shift the MG's as they sound ****... We got like 10 of the MG100HDX in and only 1 sold, but that was to the shop across the street which the company part owned haha

No man, you probably just didn't tweak it right. Their overdrive is crushing.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Look, I will say this only once more after this:

You just need about 30-50w of tube power, a combo will do you fine and be cheaper in the long run.

The combo I posted does metal and clean tones perfectly well and has all the power you will ever need; I will only say this once more after this.

completely agree. You really dont need a half stack if you want it just to be "big"... I'm not sure if you know this but 50w tube can dish out ALOT of freakin noise. Listen to the guy and quit being such a pr*ck to him.
Quote by haggard101

ok, so this guy is a dick for recommending something? so you're calling him a dick for helping you? you sir, are the dick. you shouldnt be so closed minded and open up for some other suggestions. you can waste money on a half-stack but you dont need one, you'll be fine with a combo.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
How am I being the prick, when I get big red letters blasted at me... all im saying is that my current amp is better tha nthe little roland, I was inquring about a half stack.
My Gear!
Line 6 Spider II 212

Axl AG-659 Acoustic
Quote by haggard101
How am I being the prick, when I get big red letters blasted at me... all im saying is that my current amp is better tha nthe little roland, I was inquring about a half stack.

Your current amp is not better than the <b>Randall</b> he posted. I have a Spider II, and it's quite possibly one of the worst amps I have ever played.

I also have a 4x12 cabinet, and let me tell you, you don't want to get one. They are goddamn annoying. You do not need a half stack. It doesn't really offer that much more sound over anything else.

HALF STACKS ARE NOT NECESSARY. GET A COMBO, PLEASE.
I hate my half stack.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by haggard101

Sorry, but that "little roland," which is actually a Randall , completely ****s all over a Line 6 Spider.

Seriously, why do people come here asking for recommendations when all they wanna do is just say, "No it's not a halfstack, it can't be good omgzorz! Combos are stupid!"

Just leave now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by haggard101

You get huge red letters just like everyone else does; mainly because i find that people like you tend to not listen because you don't understand how much power there is in a good tube amp. You're not some sort of special case; I do that to everyone who says they need 150w or a half stack.

The randall I posted does everything you want and all I get is you basically calling me an idiot and saying the amp is too small when anyone who knows what they're talking about will know that a 50w tube amp will always do unless you're playing huge festivals or stadiums.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+ vaginal intercourse

5150 combo, Valveking 112 combo, Randal RG50TV (tube combo).
Ok lets clear this up hehe, cos its all getting misconstrude (if thats how u spell it haha) I love combos... I have one, I just always thought once you get serious about wanting to gig and record, a half stack is the way to go. I didnt mean to insult you, I kinda got frustrated about the writing, which was n00bish and I appologise, so i think i'll take ya advice and not get a half stack, but I do need a good replacement for my line 6
My Gear!
Line 6 Spider II 212

Axl AG-659 Acoustic
First off, You do not have a TUBE combo. Try playing a blues junior (or any 15w tube amp through at least 1 x 12") with master on 10 and tell me if you can crank it up past twleve o'clock without feeling your ears ringing.

Reason you do not need a half-stack:
a) PA is used for almost everything. In that case, even that Blues Junior (which I own) is just too loud by its own.
b) 15w tube, couple with a 1x12 speakers, is very loud, even for a medium size club. With 50w through 1x 12 it is even louder.

And when we say tube, we mean both preamp and power amp being tube.

That being said, you can probably find some used tube amp fairly cheap. I knew that, for example, a good used 50w head can sell for around 500 CDN, and a cab is around 250, give or take 50 dollars. If you can access to craiglist, use it.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at May 7, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You get huge red letters just like everyone else does; mainly because i find that people like you tend to not listen because you don't understand how much power there is in a good tube amp. You're not some sort of special case; I do that to everyone who says they need 150w or a half stack.

The randall I posted does everything you want and all I get is you basically calling me an idiot and saying the amp is too small when anyone who knows what they're talking about will know that a 50w tube amp will always do unless you're playing huge festivals or stadiums.

DimeTime all over again.

Seriously TS, if you want a half stack your prerogative. Just remember a little Roland or a big Marshall MG.
Quote by doggy_hat
i have 2 half stacks and a combo amp.

i have a 5150 II half stack and a 1992 Mesa Dual 2-channel rectifer half stack and the Bugera 6262 212 combo.

i'll tell you from 5 going on 6 years of gigging and touring that somtimes a tube combo does not cut it on stage. there will not always be a PA at clubs and venues that can mic the amps and all. somtimes you need alot more power. it all depends on what kind of gigging you do. theres a big difference in sound between a stack and a combo amp. pushing 4x12s and pushing 2x12, or 1x12.

if you wanna get you a good amp that will last you a lifetime look for a used 5150 head(or combo), 5150 II, a used mesa or somthing. stay away from crap like a Marshall MG and crap like that. even a Bugera would be good, even though alot of peeps bash it for not being reliable. i have been gigging with mine since Jan and it does just fine. most of the people who bash it have never even played one and just go by what they hear on the internet.
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia