wtf is a monkey grip?
Quote by IwannaBeSadated

I would have any sort of sex with any sort of animal.

You knnow the JEM guitars, they have a handle ?....

i hate them,

herman wwweeee uses it for manic whammy FAP whilst he holds it vertical
just to look cool.... and be able to carry it around easier? lol idk i love JEMs
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by DieKrupps
You knnow the JEM guitars, they have a handle ?....

i hate them,

herman wwweeee uses it for manic whammy FAP whilst he holds it vertical

Herman Ri doesn't use a JEM, he uses an S prestige and/or his signature model, he just holds them up by the whammy bar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
for looks, or easy carrying perhaps, and herman li doesent have a monkey grip, its a "kung fu" grip, so he can copy steve without actually copying him

Edit: also because he's asian likely
As a lot of you seem to be unknowing in Steve Vai and will probably bash him for his "super lame handle" in the guitar.
I've heard from an interview I believe it was, that he was messing round with some ideas and he thought a handle may look cool, so the monkey grip has been used ever since, the more "oval" shaped one has been used on a couple of guitars too.

But yeah, he likes it, many many other people like it. So tough **** if you don't really
want a JEM without the handle? Get an RG prestige, you should be able to save soem cash too!
So he can grab it off the rack easier.

It's true
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
Someone on Jemsite told me wht they were for.

They are a Convenient storage unit for Kiwis seriously, try it. youll never need to use plastic boxes to store small green balls again.

Last edited by Tubyboulin at May 7, 2008,
Quote by Tubyboulin
Someone on Jemsite told me wht they were for.

They are a Convenient storage unit for Kiwis seriously, try it. youll never need to use plastic boxes to store small green balls again.

lol
they're great. they've been putting handles on everything lately.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I don't understand how holding it by the base of the neck in the same fashion is hard or anything. And I totally want this to be a ****ty paint thread of **** with handles. Please!
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by axefreak129
wtf is a monkey grip?

Monkeys use them to hold their guitar 'cos they can't work out how others have been holding them for decades!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by hypnotix
So he can grab it off the rack easier.

It's true

True or not, it actually makes a lot of sense. The guitar balances right around that point, so yanking the guitar off the rack by a monkey grip would lessen the risk of banging against the other guitars in the rack.
Quote by jj1565
they're great. they've been putting handles on everything lately.

hahahahaha that rocks

Herman Li's grip is called a Kung-Fu Grip like those GI Joe's hands from the 80's.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
have you seen how he violently wields his guitar around on stage?

i mean literally.
i have a 'white guitar'
Steve Vai has literally said he did it just because he thought it would be cool. That's the only reason I have ever heard him give for it.