i was wondering what strings that people thought lost their tone the fastest i always thought ernie balls did what do you guys think?
GHS Boomers. I hate GHS.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
Quote by Kaervek
GHS Boomers. I hate GHS.

really that one surprises me people always praise ghs
I know it ISN'T DR
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
DRs actually wore out a whole lot faster that D'addarios for me.
But damn did they sound good at first.
Quote by BluesLP1990
DRs actually wore out a whole lot faster that D'addarios for me.
But damn did they sound good at first.

drs have not been consistent lately they vary pack by pack
hahha why bother with stings that suck when you can just go all the way for another 5 bucks. i play elixers. and i love elixers.
Quote by Nathan Milley
earnie ball probably

definitely not, theyre the best

Quote by whosamerica
hahha why bother with stings that suck when you can just go all the way for another 5 bucks. i play elixers. and i love elixers.

not worth the extra money in my opinion
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Last edited by spiderjerusalem at May 7, 2008,
Idk ive really only played DRs but lately they have become really suckish in tonation or w.e u wanna call it.
Quote by Detonation
Idk ive really only played DRs but lately they have become really suckish in tonation or w.e u wanna call it.

i e mailed the company and told them that they said no way and to send the strings pack to them , like i actually kept the the package
i like the low strings on ghs sets but the g,b ,e seem to have a little more tension on them then other strings
I'd say Ernie Balls or Rotosounds. Rotos react particularly badly to my body chemistry, it seems, though whether this theory is scientifically sound is beyond my grasp. I've just done a weekend of solid gigging with a single set of GHS Burnished Nickels though, and they seem to have kept their edge after nine or ten hours' worth of hard use.

Mind you, I hate that twangy 'new string' sound so my opinon is pretty much null and void...
i think it depends on what you look for in tone. i use ernie ball and they are perfect for me. they have the size i want first of all (12-56) and imo keep a good tone for a long time. but i dont actually like the sound of new strings too much. they sound too bright and metalic. i like em when they have broken in nicely.

but i tried d'darrio xls and i didnt like it at all. they seemed to go dull very fast and werent nice to slide on. i just didnt like them at all.
Quote by whosamerica

No way, they sound dead to me from the get-go.
Ernie Ball strings go out pretty fast on me, GHS lasts a while longer. D'Addarios last almost as long as GHS, but I'm not so hot on the tone or feel these days. I'm gonna throw a new set of DRs on my acoustic in the next couple of days, we'll see how they sound. Are they really that inconsistent lately? Hope I didn't get a dud pack...
i have noticed an inconsistency and so have a few of my friends and one noticed it on the bass strings too
IMO Elixers lose their tone on electric guitar the quickest
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
D'addarios by far for me. The ones in my Ibanez were new when I got the guitar 2 weeks ago and they're already worn out and need a change and I've maybe played an hour a night since then, if that.

I have Ernie Balls on my Strat and SG and they last MUCH longer before they die on me. Hell, the strings on the SG have been on there for about 5 months and still goin strong! Strat about 3

I used GHS strings on my EC-1000 before and I really liked them as well, took a while to wear out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
D'addarios by far for me. The ones in my Ibanez were new when I got the guitar 2 weeks ago and they're already worn out and need a change and I've maybe played an hour a night since then, if that.

Mabye because they were strung at the factory, and the guitar sat in a box, on a truck, then in a wharehouse for several months?
ok this thread wont really get you anywhere TS LOL as if you cant tell already. this is like asking which guitar will last longer, a strat or a les paul. it's ALL preference here...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
oh, and i think Ernie ball's last a good while. the ones in my clips on my profile are a month and half old (tight on money lately ) but you wouldn't prolly have known that if i hadn't said it. i bought a new pack of EBs today though
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Uh, the crappy ones.

Coated strings start out a bit less toneful than uncoated ones but will stay that way long after uncoated strings go dull.

For me, the D'Addario XL's keep their tone well and I've never broken one - ever!
i just put on Earnie Ball stings on less then a week ago and there aready starting to rust...
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Mabye because they were strung at the factory, and the guitar sat in a box, on a truck, then in a wharehouse for several months?

No, I bought the guitar used, the guy put them on the day before he brought the guitar over.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
d'addarios for me.. i've had my elixir nanowebs for like 6 months and they still sound great. well worth the extra $10
Ernie Ball sound like **** out of the package, d addario are ok, DR's have the best sound but don't last very long, elixer's sound not as good as DR's but they will stay the same for a long long time
My Gear:
LTD EC-1000 (duncan jb/jazz)
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
Dunlop strings and tortex 1.14s
I find EB's to be long lasting and GHS always crap out on me after two weeks.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I can keep EBs on my guitar for a few months without major tone loss or breakage, GHS strings tend to break on me after a week or so, and Elixers last about 4 months, but unfortunately they sound and feel like utter shit, it's like putting rubber strings soaked in vaseline on your guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Electro-Harmonix Strings. Absolutely brilliant.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I only really tried 3 kinds. The ones that we're on my RG when I got it. Lasted pretty long, don't know what they were though.
Then I tried Daddarios. They sucked imo.

Then I found these pretty cheap strings from some place called stringsite. They're probably average at best, but they last quite long and is pretty cheap.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by PhantomNote
The ones that we're on my RG when I got it. Lasted pretty long, don't know what they were though.

If you bought the guitar new... It came with D'Addarios...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've tried several strings, and from fastest tone loss to the ones that last me longer:

Dean Markley > Rotosound > Ernie Ball > GHS > Dunlop > D'Addario > DR

But my personal favourite is D'Addario, because even if they don't last as long as DR, their bright tone sells me :P
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
i used ernie balls when i started playing and they would rust within a month for me until one breaks (must be my sweaty hands). ernie balls sound 'new' for about 1-2 weeks to me. (usually plat about 10-20 hours a week).

d'addario's last for months for me and i prefer their tone. they sound new for much longer imfo.

i use them on both my acoustics and electrics. i like their tone, i don't mess with success.