im wondering how the hell do you practice or achieve agressive vibrato a la zakk wylde
do i just do vibrato on the guitar everyday or is it something that comes after many years of playing

here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsih9nUpq2U

0:12 is what im trying to achieve and 0:16 as well

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
lol. Good guitar tone.

Anyway, it's really not that hard. I never found it hard, anyway...I guess just practice your vibrato until you can do whatever you want with it?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Aggressive playing is really an approach to playing guitar - I tend to vibrato something like that anyway.

You can keep the vibrato in control and in time by slowing it down and bending the string to a metronome, and gradually speeding up. Developing vocal but controlled vibrato does take years.
also i think he's hitting on artificial harmonics a tiny bit.
Other that that, just yank the string around and keep the pitch relatively even
just go wild on it, and do it as if your bending the note up and down
its all in the wrist, wiggle it a bit, and really get into it. he also does a pinch harmonic there, so the vibrato is made better.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
how would you practice that? well just sit down and practice putting a wide vibrato on different strings and notes. try putting them into your improv as well. think of it maybe as fast bend and releases. so you need to figure out the note you are bending to while doing vibrato and try to hit that note when you do it faster. but you should practice virbrato as much as anything else really. im always working on it and trying different styles out. because they all have a different feel too them so its good to be able to do any kind when ever you want.
also i think he's hitting on artificial harmonics a tiny bit.
Other that that, just yank the string around and keep the pitch relatively even

yeah i knew that part but he just makes that note scream with vibrato like crazy

how would you practice that? well just sit down and practice putting a wide vibrato on different strings and notes. try putting them into your improv as well. think of it maybe as fast bend and releases. so you need to figure out the note you are bending to while doing vibrato and try to hit that note when you do it faster. but you should practice virbrato as much as anything else really. im always working on it and trying different styles out. because they all have a different feel too them so its good to be able to do any kind when ever you want.

k thanks for advice guys so the advice is basically just do vibrato till one day it comes to you

XD
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I didnt watch the video beacuse im at work but zakk wylde does pinch harmonics and vibratos them for that signature squeal sound of his. What kind of distortion are you using?
find the kris dahl video on vibrato in the ug tv section, it will give you a broader view on vibrato at least.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
Keep in mind he often uses a wah pedal so some of the tone comes from that. I tend to have a very heavy vibrato also, and it's nothing I really practiced; just keep in mind that you can get a lot of power from your wrist as opposed to just your fingers.
Keep in mind he often uses a wah pedal so some of the tone comes from that. I tend to have a very heavy vibrato also, and it's nothing I really practiced; just keep in mind that you can get a lot of power from your wrist as opposed to just your fingers.

yeah he has his own signature wah that has alot of gain for those pinch harmonics he does

i saw the video that he talked about that i already got my gain all the way up but thanks for advice anyways

Try using 2 fingers for bending.

i actually use 3 fingers for bending and dependin on situation i use 2 or sometimes 1

find the kris dahl video on vibrato in the ug tv section, it will give you a broader view on vibrato at least.

yeah already saw that video he talked about about wrist vibrato and hand vibrato
i prefer wrist since im very used to it already and have alot of more control over it

something im still not very clear how do you practice vibrato to a metronome if someone could elaborate or further explain it be really helpful
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Take the metronome. Put it on a speed. Something slow, so you have the most control, say 80 bpm.

Then do "vibrato" on every click. These being quarter notes. This meaning click up click down. Keeping the sound even trying to make sure it's square with the rhythm.

Then practice eight notes.

Then sixteenth notes.

Then triplets.

Then uneven rhythms like quintuplets.

Then combine them.

In 4/4, you could go:

click 1 2 click 1 2 3 click 1 2 click 1 2 3.

Just make sure you're even and getting a good sound.
Last edited by confusius at Jun 11, 2008,
Take the metronome. Put it on a speed. Something slow, so you have the most control, say 80 bpm.

Then do "vibrato" on every click. These being whole notes. This meaning click up click down. Keeping the sound even trying to make sure it's square with the rhythm.

thanks for advice i be sure to practice like that
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff