i like to think that in a guitar, there is an infinite amount of possibilities of chord progressions and riffs. but can you imagine what it would be like if in the far future we have used every possible combination of notes. when we get to a point where we say "this song sounds just like this one". (shudders) i get goosebumps when i think about this...
Well, if a chord progression is a copy of another, add one more chord. This process really can't end, even if it could be an infinite progression.
lol
never will happen, theres already alot of songs that sound like others but theres so many possibilities you'll never run out, play it could be the exact same notes and if you change the rhythm its something new.

billions of combinations to do, unless we live for another 1 billion years you dont have to worry.
It's all been done, woohoohoo. Or something.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Dont Ever Say That Kind Of Nonsense Again! I Might Have Just **** Myself Idk!
Can't happen, wont happen.
Simple as that.

/thread
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
Quote by TechnicolorType
lol
never will happen, theres already alot of songs that sound like others but theres so many possibilities you'll never run out, play it could be the exact same notes and if you change the rhythm its something new.

billions of combinations to do, unless we live for another 1 billion years you dont have to worry.

Billions? Billions is nowhere near close to infinite. Think of the largest number you could imagine, and that still wouldn't be close. In fact, if there truely are infinite possiblities to go off, there is no way that you could ever run out.

The problem is human comprehension of infinitely minute changes in the music. The differences would be so subtle, that everything would start to sound the same!

That is when the Great Satan arises!!!

HAHAHHAhHAHAHa.
I'm sorry that was incredibly cheesy.

But yeah, dude. Don't worry. It won't happen soon. Hopefully.
To simplify this, you could think in terms of MIDI files. Imagine how many unique MIDI files you could make, whether or not they were actually musical in nature.

It's absurd how many possibilities there are, even if you were restricted to specific intervals, disregarding tone, inflection, or unusual rhythmic patterns.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Just to give you the idea, In one octave, without repeating any notes, or skipping, only ascending, using the 12 note tonal system, there are somewhere around 2000 scales you can make. Then if you change the order, theoretically there are infinite. as mentioned, you can always add something else on the end of what has been done, even though that's kind of boring..
Soon enough we'll be doing more experimenting with micro tones for the sake of being innovative.
Quote by Archaon
Soon enough we'll be doing more experimenting with micro tones for the sake of being innovative.

Even that has already been done. Look at non-western, "ethnic" music. Lots of styles use systems of notes that aren't based on the twelve-tone western method, which leads to interesting notes between what we consider to be the normal, 12 tones of the chromatic scale.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by Archaon

That means were gonna have to re learn all our theory.

If you run out of scales or songs we can always invent a new instrument. *gasps*
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
This reminds me of the one man show from the late 80s early 90s that was on Showtime, "The Stephen Banks Show." The guy now writes for Jimmy Neutron or something, but on this show he was an aspiring musician slaving away at a desk job. He comes home to his apartment, but forgot to do a report or something so he's gotta do it or he's fired, but he keeps getting distracted. Well, one of his distractions is he pulls out a song book and starts playing songs. At one point he plays La Bamba for about 4 bars, and stops and flips the page and plays something else. Then he flips the page again and plays Twist and Shout for about 4 bars...stops, flips back to La Bamba, back to Twist and Shout, back to La Bamba...because he realized it's the same song.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
This reminds me of the one man show from the late 80s early 90s that was on Showtime, "The Stephen Banks Show." The guy now writes for Jimmy Neutron or something, but on this show he was an aspiring musician slaving away at a desk job. He comes home to his apartment, but forgot to do a report or something so he's gotta do it or he's fired, but he keeps getting distracted. Well, one of his distractions is he pulls out a song book and starts playing songs. At one point he plays La Bamba for about 4 bars, and stops and flips the page and plays something else. Then he flips the page again and plays Twist and Shout for about 4 bars...stops, flips back to La Bamba, back to Twist and Shout, back to La Bamba...because he realized it's the same song.

You know I always thought that those songs sounded strangely similar.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
infinite in nature ideally. i did a mathematical calculation of the number of "songs" you could write in one measure of 4/4 considering all the possible notes in any given order in simple quarter notes. i can't remember the result but i do remember it was absolutely ridiculous.

then you factor in note lengths and the fact that more than likely whatever you write won't just repeat itself and you get an inifinite amount. whether or not its really musical in nature is a different story.
Not only is there a near endless number of progressions intervals and other combinations, but you can't forget about 7 and 8 string guitars and the variety of drop and open tunings as well.
^ well i think in the idea of writing music thats irrelevent. don't think of it like guitars etc think of it like musical notes, like sheet music.
Quote by seedmole
Even that has already been done. Look at non-western, "ethnic" music. Lots of styles use systems of notes that aren't based on the twelve-tone western method, which leads to interesting notes between what we consider to be the normal, 12 tones of the chromatic scale.

Yes, hence the "more" bit

You're absolutely right though.
I heard some classical composers are writing in more than 24-tet instruments, could be an interesting turn to music.

And pop-rock songs already all sound the same. They use relatively the same progressions (combination of I V and IV ) and very similar melodies (Combination of Tonic, Perfect fifth and sometimes a third or a sixth).
And pop-rock songs already all sound the same. They use relatively the same progressions (combination of I V and IV ) and very similar melodies (Combination of Tonic, Perfect fifth and sometimes a third or a sixth).
But that's not really running out of possibilities. It's just sticking to what works.

Just curious, what bands do you call pop-rock?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums