I have a squier strat that i got a few years back and want to do something with it to make it my own classic design. However as we all know squiers dont sound the best which leads me to ask this question. If i were to change the pickups and the neck would it sound any better? If i were to do this what guitar could you compare my improved strat to (mexican fender strat, american maybe?). I was thinking about swapping the pickups for some emg single coils of maybe some lace sensors and was also debating about swapping for a better neck. I am just curious if it is worth the money. Maybe down the road i am just better off buying a mexican strat for the sound sake and modding this guitar for the looks.

Thanks, and please feel free to recomend me some suggestions to improve the sound on my guitar.
Free Mumia
The pickup swap will be the most obvious and impactive change to the sound. I wouldn't really bother with swapping neck - really costly, hard to do, and won't change the sound more than comfort, really.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

Quote by divinorum69
Amp also bothers a lot in sound, but I say you get some fender mics if you want the traditional American Strat Sound.

mics? literally like microphones?

and out of curiosity, how much do necks cost? i wouldn't mind a new neck for the comfort if it isn't to costly.
Free Mumia
A new neck is £100-£150 or more (though you can get a cheep one for £30, but what's the point in upgrading to pap?).
Im pouring into my squier some lace sensors, Clapton use them then why not me? configuration would be gold red gold lace sensors (search youtube for some of the cheap SX guitar's with lace sensors and say yourself OMG) Other than that, neck isnt worth changing on it, maybe tuners OR bridge but nothing else that i know (unless you want also to swap knobs and stuff like that).
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by guerilla radio
I have a squier strat that i got a few years back and want to do something with it to make it my own classic design. However as we all know squiers dont sound the best which leads me to ask this question. If i were to change the pickups and the neck would it sound any better? If i were to do this what guitar could you compare my improved strat to (mexican fender strat, american maybe?). I was thinking about swapping the pickups for some emg single coils of maybe some lace sensors and was also debating about swapping for a better neck. I am just curious if it is worth the money. Maybe down the road i am just better off buying a mexican strat for the sound sake and modding this guitar for the looks.

Thanks, and please feel free to recomend me some suggestions to improve the sound on my guitar.

the first thing you need to do is get a decent amp, any upgrades you make to the guitar are going to be worthless. There's no point changing the neck as the squier necks aren't too bad, pickups aren't going to make any difference until you've got a significantly better amp than the one you currently have.

If you want to improve the SOUND then the only thing that'll help is getting a better amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I changed the bridge pickup in my strat to a Seymour Duncan Invader(humbucker) and it sound soooo goood.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
I changed the bridge pickup in my strat to a Seymour Duncan Invader(humbucker) and it sound soooo goood.

Yes, but you have a Peavey Valveking, not a crummy 10 watt starter amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ I don't see where TS said he has a crummy 10w starter amp.....

but yeah, your amp should be your first concern, and if you already have a pretty good one, then I'd say start with upgrading the pickups, nut, bridge, and tuners before worrying about the neck. A new neck won't affect the sound much (if at all), and I quite like the neck on my squier....