Is it worth my time to learn how to work this program?

I put on an eyepatch and "bought" this program a few days ago, and while it's kind of easy to do simple stuff, I can tell theres a lot more features that would require a little bit of study to truly use this program to it's full potential.

What I'm basically saying is: Is this program worth the time it takes to learn how to use it? Or am I wasting my time?
it's the most useful program i've ever had (except sibelius of course, but that's proffesional).
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
It's worth it and really its not all that complicated, just seems that way at first.
Good to use as a trainer for learning new material and such
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
It is more useful than you could imagine.

Really? Great! I have only a VERY VERY VERY basic understanding of reading music. Is that going to prevent me from using a lot of the features?
I would recommend Guitar Pro solely for downloading tabs and uploading tabs for others to see, only because it's so popular.

But if you want a program that is much quicker and easier to use, I strongly recommend TabIt. It loads in half a second and barely takes up any memory, as opposed to Guitar Pro which shits the bed quite frequently....I have 1 GB of RAM and even if I open Guitar Pro right after booting up (with no programs at all running) it only lasts about 20 minutes before I start getting error messages and it's taking up 100 MB of RAM. Overall yeah it's good for playing tabs and stuff but TabIt can do the exact same thing with a much, much easier to use interface and little memory usage.

At tabit.net you can get the "trial" version that lets you view tabs, but you need to plunder the foul knaves to get version that lets you play the tabs, arrrr matie.

EDIT: for example if you come up with a riff, you can type it into TabIt in like 2 seconds, Guitar Pro could take you well over 2 minutes to write down a 4-bar riff. Just overall much easier to use, check it out.
Quote by Sample246
Really? Great! I have only a VERY VERY VERY basic understanding of reading music. Is that going to prevent me from using a lot of the features?

Using the program is what actually taught me to read music, and helped me understand it a lot, despite not being a lesson program.
It's also great for learning songs since you can mute instruments, slow the song down, use a speed trainer, etc.
And best of all, it's an amazing tool for writing, since you can put in multiple instruments, and since it will keep pictures of scales open for you incase you don't have them memorized. Of course, to write with it you need to atleast understand how to read note durations, but using the programs is how I figured it out anyway.
Quote by rcw110131
I would recommend Guitar Pro solely for downloading tabs and uploading tabs for others to see, only because it's so popular.

But if you want a program that is much quicker and easier to use, I strongly recommend TabIt. It loads in half a second and barely takes up any memory, as opposed to Guitar Pro which shits the bed quite frequently....I have 1 GB of RAM and even if I open Guitar Pro right after booting up (with no programs at all running) it only lasts about 20 minutes before I start getting error messages and it's taking up 100 MB of RAM. Overall yeah it's good for playing tabs and stuff but TabIt can do the exact same thing with a much, much easier to use interface and little memory usage.

At tabit.net you can get the "trial" version that lets you view tabs, but you need to plunder the foul knaves to get version that lets you play the tabs, arrrr matie.

EDIT: for example if you come up with a riff, you can type it into TabIt in like 2 seconds, Guitar Pro could take you well over 2 minutes to write down a 4-bar riff. Just overall much easier to use, check it out.

Interesting. So Guitar Pro is to Microsoft Office, as TabIt is to Notepad? Both get the job done, but Word takes longer and makes it prettier?
Quote by Sample246
Interesting. So Guitar Pro is to TabIt, as Office is to Notepad? Both get the job done, but Word takes longer and makes it prettier?

Fixed

I've tried TabIt before, and I prefered Guitar Pro. I don't recall why, but I obviously did since that's what I still have, lol. The I may have just been more used to Guitar Pro already. If your going to use the software for learning songs also, rather than just writing yourself, you should stick with Guitar Pro. Even though it's apparently a bit more complicated as that other dude says, why take the time to learn two programs?
Quote by Sample246
Interesting. So Guitar Pro is to Microsoft Office, as TabIt is to Notepad? Both get the job done, but Word takes longer and makes it prettier?

Umm, kinda. Lol. Really the only thing TabIt can't do that Guitar Pro can is the standard notation, but for most guitar players that's not really necessary. I just think it's a much easier to use program in general; try it out, you may agree with me or you may hate it lol.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Using the program is what actually taught me to read music, and helped me understand it a lot, despite not being a lesson program.
It's also great for learning songs since you can mute instruments, slow the song down, use a speed trainer, etc.
And best of all, it's an amazing tool for writing, since you can put in multiple instruments, and since it will keep pictures of scales open for you incase you don't have them memorized. Of course, to write with it you need to atleast understand how to read note durations, but using the programs is how I figured it out anyway.

I recently got the program as well, and it's a bit overwhelming for me too. I did not know that you can mute instruments in this program. Do you mean you can just open an MP3 on your computer, and play the song with certain instruments omitted? Can anyone tell me how to do this? I'd really like to be able to do that so I can play along.
The first thing you should do if you wanna tab out some songs on Guitar Pro is learn how notes work time-wise.

e.g. Learning the differences between crotchets, quavers, minims etc.
Guitar Pro is simply amazing, and while I realize that a lot of UG'ers are struggling financially it really is worth the $50 to buy it. Honestly, for everything it does it should really cost about $200. That's a rare piece of software I can say that about.
I'm once again surprised by the leap of imagination it takes to actually buy software. I've been very happy with GP5 so far - it's helped me a lot in both learning tabs (being able to have the computer demonstrate them is a huge advantage) and tabbing out my own songs.

SnoDog: An MP3 is one unified sample file, so you can't eliminate individual instruments (well, you sort of can, but it takes some sound engineering knowledge). GP5's format is similar to MIDI with added fingering information, and you can get a large number of songs in GP5 format from places like 911Tabs.
Quote by SnoDog
I recently got the program as well, and it's a bit overwhelming for me too. I did not know that you can mute instruments in this program. Do you mean you can just open an MP3 on your computer, and play the song with certain instruments omitted? Can anyone tell me how to do this? I'd really like to be able to do that so I can play along.

I didn't mean from a recorded song. I mean like, when people tab out songs in it, you can choose which ones it will play back.
The speed trainer on Guitar Pro is priceless. It's helped me a lot in learning new things, especially when they're fast.

To be honest, that's all I use it for. I don't write my own tabs using it.
yeah, it's an awesome program. I've been playing for a little over a year and discovered it a couple weeks ago. Had the trial version and when it ran out I went for about two more weeks figuring stuff out by ear then said eff it and bought it. A huge luxury in learn alot of new stuff, makes it so much easier and thus alot more fun.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Goddamn it is there something seriously wrong with the forum, everytime i go to post something and spend all that ****ing time typing **** out, it has to crap out on me as SOON as i hit the submit button the whole damned browser freezes while the "submit" button is depressed throwing a middle finger right into your ****ing face, taunting you the whole damn time while you wait for windows taask manager to close the ****ing ting and start all over...

huff*.... huff*

forgive me, i just hate it when it does that.. does ne1 have this program from the forum sometimes?

anyhow, since i was smart enough to copy and paste my original message on notepad, b4 submitting, since i just had that feeling it was going to happen like it does every other time i try to help or put my two cents in...

anyways heres that original post of mine

Quote by Sample246
Is it worth my time to learn how to work this program?

I put on an eyepatch and "bought" this program a few days ago, and while it's kind of easy to do simple stuff, I can tell theres a lot more features that would require a little bit of study to truly use this program to it's full potential.

What I'm basically saying is: Is this program worth the time it takes to learn how to use it? Or am I wasting my time?

This program is a godsend.. okay.. well that pushing it a bit, but it most certainly is useful

it can help ya practice )
you can tab out music you write
you can (of course..) learn other songs tabbed by others, or even tab out songs yourself

A by no means will you be hindered by knowing music theory, that just helps you even more so compared to a person who doesnt know theory (like i once didnt, but even so it only took about 10 min at the most to really get down with the program, though theory helps a tad lol)

and actually.. though it sounds silly, i too a music fundamentals class this past semester, and i was using this program last night, and well.. I dont know what it was but something was different i came to understand more of the features and symbols etc, more so than i did b4 :P

and yeah sibelius is kwl -professsional use

imho guitar pro is by far better than powertab , ugh!
Quote by SnoDog

as one other mentioned, an MP3 is one complete sound file, and without any sound eng xp, or perhaps mastering etc skills, there really no other way that i know of to mute individual instruments... IN A SOUND FILE

now with GP5, you really have no idea?

look towards the bottom when GP5 is up, you notice it has all your instruments..right?

well.. look along the line in which the instrument is on, and voila! it has a slider button for your volume!

and as the other fellow mentioned, you can make it as a MIDI file

THERE IS A feature called "export" under the "file" menu. this allows you to create a file such as an mp3 file of the entire collection within the tab (along with w/e you did to edit the tab, so if you muted one of the instruments, then guess what.. it will be muted in the mp3 file you create from the export feature)

you can also export a MIDI arrangement, that is a compilation of MIDI to use in other programs, for example you can load that exported MIDI into a mixing program (Sony acid 6 for example) that has MIDI capability, and it will have it there, with all the individual instruments, with each note shown.

sorta difficult for me to explain, the best way to see is simply to load a tab up in gp5

export it as a MIDI

load up your mixing software, and load up the exported MIDI file in your project.
IT is awesome, even though I only use it for viewing tabs (I have the limited/free version)

it has made all the difference in the world, this product alone took me from being a fair guitar player to a really good guitar player