Associated Press - May 7, 2008 2:15 PM ET

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) - The University of Arkansas now has licensing control over "Razorback" electric guitars in a dispute linked to a slain musician from Texas.

Two Florida companies created the line to commemorate a guitarist who once played for Pantera.

Concordia Investment Partners and Armadillo Distribution Enterprises began selling the guitars after the death of "Dimebag Darrell" Abbott.

Abbott was shot to death in 2004 while performing on stage with his current band, Damageplan.

Abbott attended Arlington, Texas, High School and lived in nearby Dalworthington Gardens.

Abbott often wore a razor blade around his neck while playing on stage.

In 2007, the university sued, claiming the line as a copyright infringement as its athletics teams bear the Razorback name.

A settlement filed yesterday in federal court in Fayetteville gives the university licensing control over the guitars. The two companies get to keep selling the guitars in stores and over the Internet, but only through a wholesaler licensed by the university.

Information from: Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, http://www.arkansasonline.com

Ok so i saw this and looked ug for it and couldn't find it

I Honestly Think This is Kinda Stupid
thats retarded, just one more way for some asshole(s) to make money they dont deserve, and its disrespectful to dimebag.
what, i need the pear for them...

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
that's stupid, I'm surprised they won, because usually trademarks don't matter if the two products are completely unrelated (as they are in this case)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If that's true, people are pathetic. I already knew they were pathetic, but now they're just asinine as well.

And pathetic.
And stupid.
And ridiculous...

And....
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
So Can They Get Rights To All These?

Razorback may also refer to:

The Fin Whale
Razorback (film), a 1984 Australian horror film
Razorback (band), a Filipino rock band
Razorback Records, a metal record label based in Farmingville, NY
USS Razorback, a World War 2 submarine
West Sydney Razorbacks, an Australian professional basketball team
Razorback2, a former eDonkey server
Razorback (comics), Buford Hollis, a comic book character introduced in the pages of Spectacular Spider-Man in 1977
The Razorbacks, a Canadian rockabilly band

It Pretty Retarded
i think its bad enough that dean exploits his death for money, but this is shameful
Quote by frottage
i don't even like Dimebag, but that's just stupid. UA is gay.

agreed
Quote by Drkxero13
So Can They Get Rights To All These?

Razorback may also refer to:

The Fin Whale
Razorback (film), a 1984 Australian horror film
Razorback (band), a Filipino rock band
Razorback Records, a metal record label based in Farmingville, NY
USS Razorback, a World War 2 submarine
West Sydney Razorbacks, an Australian professional basketball team
Razorback2, a former eDonkey server
Razorback (comics), Buford Hollis, a comic book character introduced in the pages of Spectacular Spider-Man in 1977
The Razorbacks, a Canadian rockabilly band

It Pretty Retarded

hahahaha
that's horrible.

there is no reason why that school should make money because an alumni was murdered.

the way the economy is going right now, anyone would do anything to make an extra buck.

even if it means being a complete douche to do so.
Quote by gunak87
Wow, I sure am proud of my school now...

not.

Don't go to school Friday I'm making a razorback out of razor blades and I'm going to kill everyone.
my mom was like "well, so what?" and said that the guitar companies should've looked up copyrights (sp?) or whatever before naming it the Razorback. that's still dickish of UA.
Quote by frottage
my mom was like "well, so what?" and said that the guitar companies should've looked up copyrights (sp?) or whatever before naming it the Razorback. that's still dickish of UA.

the trademark in this case should be completely irrelevant, because theres no way anyone in their right mind would confuse a guitar for a sports team.

Last.fm
did they create the name "RAZORBACK"? so whoever named Paul should own the Les Paul line then? Or a girl named Mercedes should own the whole Mercedes car company.

stupid crap...i forgot Razorback was also a Filipino rock band. woot Pinoy!
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by bob-thebuilder
Don't go to school Friday I'm making a razorback out of razor blades and I'm going to kill everyone.

Wow. We all know you're joking but by law the feds have to investigate a claim like that.

That's a legit death threat.
Quote by JMTrio134
Wow. We all know you're joking but by law the feds have to investigate a claim like that.

Yes because I'm totally gonna travel all the way from Indiana to Arkansas to kill someone over a guitar name that I have no association with...
That is extremely stupid. Now I have another reason to hate Arkansas.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
That is extremely stupid. Now I have another reason to hate Arkansas.

i think it's awesome, personally. i mean, that's a dumb ruling, sure, but yay for the U of A!
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
they really shouldn't have settled, theres no way UA would have won if they didn't.

Last.fm
Quote by JMTrio134

Many death threats go uninvestigated. I can honestly say he's in no danger.
D:
Signature.
Quote by bob-thebuilder

lol. I'm glad I got finished with my finals today!
what if USC gained control of trojan condoms?
what if syracuse bought the rights to the color orange?
what if alabama gained control of tide laundry detergent?

what the hell happened to this world?
Quote by bob-thebuilder
Yes because I'm totally gonna travel all the way from Indiana to Arkansas to kill someone over a guitar name that I have no association with...
And that's probably exactly what the terrorists in 9/11 said to their little buddies on Ultimate-AlQuada.com everyday.
this totally sucks... all i've ever wanted was a Dean razorback guitar (cuz i'll only play deans nothing else)

and then this comes up...
THIS SUCKS!...

i hate life... honestly....
Quote by Zugunruhe
"sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will violate me sexually."
Quote by bob-thebuilder

I can see it now. You'll bust through the door of the busiest lecture hall with a malicious look on your face, holding your guitar made of razor blades and do you know what?

I'll ask you to play Rockstar by Nickelback, and you will decapitate yourself. Lulz will be had, and the problem will have solved itself.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.