hey, i just bought a new fender american standard strat, and since ive gotten it, i cant keep it in tune for more than a few minutes. it seems to keep going sharp. to test it, i tuned it and left it alone for 2 hours and came back and the strings were almost a half step up again. im not sure whats happening with it, the inotation seems perfect and im not quite sure why it goes higher. i played les pauls and this is my first strat so i have no idea
I know that with new strings it should go like flat instead of sharp but this means maybe the neck has problems and each time you tune it, it gets bended and when you start playing or dont play or w/e it goes straight and gets sharper 0.0

But thats just me saying =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Line6
I know that with new strings it should go like flat instead of sharp but this means maybe the neck has problems and each time you tune it, it gets bended and when you start playing or dont play or w/e it goes straight and gets sharper 0.0

But thats just me saying =D

Agreed
Are you keeping the guitar in a good climate? The neck could be out of whack, take it in to a local shop to get it checked out. Is the neck placed in to the guitar body or is it one whole piece? If its put in place, it may be loose and shifting around alot.
Replace the strings. Take it to get set-up. Request the bridge to be set flat.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by mattavenue
hey, i just bought a new fender american standard strat, and since ive gotten it, i cant keep it in tune for more than a few minutes. it seems to keep going sharp. to test it, i tuned it and left it alone for 2 hours and came back and the strings were almost a half step up again. im not sure whats happening with it, the inotation seems perfect and im not quite sure why it goes higher. i played les pauls and this is my first strat so i have no idea

It sounds as though you are suffering from a phenomenon called "snatchback", although I have to say that it doesn't usually manifest itself in this way.

Between the worm gear and the helical drive gear in the tuner mechanism there is a gap. the technical term for this is backlash and it exists to ensure that the the mechanism moves freely. When we tune a string the recommended procedure is to tune up to pitch so that the backlash is always closed. If it's not, the string can go flat the first time you bend it.

However...

On a modern strat the tuners have a little spring washer between the button and the stem of the tuner body. If this is not fully compressed then it will compress when the string is stretched as the rotation of the helical gear attached to the tuner spindle pulls the worm in and the button to which it is attached. If the string is taken off-load - as when you use the tremolo for example - the spring washer decompresses and pulls the worm out. This action spins the helical gear and the spindle in an anti-clockwise direction so that when the string comes back on load it settles into a slightly higher tension.

I can't see why this should be happening without user intervention however, but leaning the guitar up against something might cause sufficient flexing of the neck to cause snatchback.

Another possibility is that one string or tuner is slipping, causing the lost tension to be redistributed amongst the others so that they pull sharp.

A further one is that the strings are binding heavily in the nut but that seems a long shot to me. I think you'd know if that were the problem...
Quote by octavedoctor
It sounds as though you are suffering from a phenomenon called "snatchback", although I have to say that it doesn't usually manifest itself in this way.

Between the worm gear and the helical drive gear in the tuner mechanism there is a gap. the technical term for this is backlash and it exists to ensure that the the mechanism moves freely. When we tune a string the recommended procedure is to tune up to pitch so that the backlash is always closed. If it's not, the string can go flat the first time you bend it.

However...

On a modern strat the tuners have a little spring washer between the button and the stem of the tuner body. If this is not fully compressed then it will compress when the string is stretched as the rotation of the helical gear attached to the tuner spindle pulls the worm in and the button to which it is attached. If the string is taken off-load - as when you use the tremolo for example - the spring washer decompresses and pulls the worm out. This action spins the helical gear and the spindle in an anti-clockwise direction so that when the string comes back on load it settles into a slightly higher tension.

I can't see why this should be happening without user intervention however, but leaning the guitar up against something might cause sufficient flexing of the neck to cause snatchback.

Another possibility is that one string or tuner is slipping, causing the lost tension to be redistributed amongst the others so that they pull sharp.

A further one is that the strings are binding heavily in the nut but that seems a long shot to me. I think you'd know if that were the problem...

I was thinking this was his problem, but how that may happen I wouldn't know.
But yeah, this sounds like Backlash in the tuners to me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think snatchback sounds like a likely culprit, though I've never heard the term used before in this context. For all six strings to repeatedly go sharp there aren't many other plausible explanations, good call OctaveDoctor.

Even so, it's essential that you explore the simplest options first. Ensure the string trees and nut are lubricated - products like Big Bends Nut Sauce are designed for this but it's cheaper and equally effective to use vaseline, powdered graphite or better still, a mixture of the two. Also check the neck is screwed in dead tight.
Obvious tips I know, but there's nothing worse than spending ages agonising over a seemingly complex problem, only to discover it's nothing more than a loose washer...
Quote by kyle62
IEnsure the string trees and nut are lubricated - products like Big Bends Nut Sauce are designed for this but it's cheaper and equally effective to use vaseline, powdered graphite or better still, a mixture of the two. Also check the neck is screwed in dead tight.

I use dry soap or candlewax. Those little bars of soap you get as complimentary items in hotel rooms are just the ticket...
take off the whammy bar because it's useless on a strat... flatten your bridge= lower action and less tuning problems. change your strings and make sure to break them in every time you play for the day.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
take off the whammy bar because it's useless on a strat... flatten your bridge= lower action and less tuning problems. change your strings and make sure to break them in every time you play for the day.

I use the whammy on my strat all the time. What do you think it was put there for looks. Geesh
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
By the way if its all the strings its going to be a bridge issue. If its one nut or tuners.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd