Hey guys,

After a busy summer of touring and gigging, I should have a hefty sum of cash.

For the important things:
I am at college on a full scholarship (good test taking skills ftw). Wahoowa!!
My car is decent (the amount of money I plan on making wont buy an upgrade).
My computer does what I need it to in spades.
The last hooker I had was not a good experience.
Coke isn't my thing.

I plan on buying my mom something nice (I do that from time to time). She has been incredibly supportive of me in everything I have ever done. With the rest, I want an investment piece of gear.

With the exception of my pedals and Dr. Z (the two things which I baby), the rest of my rig takes a fair amount of abuse. I want something that should be worth a fair amount in a few years/ would only make sense to play at home. I was thinking:

Gibson Les Paul Supreme
Gibson Dove/ Doves in Flight
Vintage something?

suggestions. go wild!
Last edited by colin617 at May 7, 2008,
coke is for pussies go with meth laced with heroin
but srsly get a beast ass guitar

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Load up on Blackface and Silverface Fenders. Just for the hell of it.

I would love to have every Fender model in blackface. A whole wall of my music room in just silver and black....twins, champs, deluxe reverbs, vibroluxes, bandmasters....drool
Vintage Les PAul
and restore it
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by colin617
I would love to have every Fender model in blackface. A whole wall of my music room in just silver and black....twins, champs, deluxe reverbs, vibroluxes, bandmasters....drool

But that's a 6 figure dream, mate. A wall of Silverfaces is only a 4 figure dream...
Last edited by the.spine.surfs at May 7, 2008,
Vintage Fender or Gibson Guitar.
Vintage Fender or Marshall Amp
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by the.spine.surfs
But that's a 6 figure dream, mate. But a wall of Silverfaces is only a 4 figure dream...

oh how right you are.

There is always time to upgrade after I am a famous rockstar.
just do coke man
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
go for a vintage Marshall. They're expensive, but only go up in value. seriously, something like a 100w Superlead, i found a couple modded ones for a bit under 2k, a stock ones gonna cost you a fair bit more. But definitely going to rise if anything.

If you really want to go all out, an original JTM45 will be a GREAT investment for you, although it'll run about 6 grand.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at May 8, 2008,
Quote by colin617

Vibroverbs just get no love? Where's the love man? Seriously - some brownfaces in there for the variety? Hey - or a quality Marshal, they hold value as well. Coke? Bleh, cold beer ftw.
You're going to hold your value with vintage and/or boutique gear. I see a lot of boutique pedals selling in ebay for better than 90% of their cost new. Any used item (where you're already paying about 2/3 the price of a new item) will maintain that value (and even go up) over time. Any item that had a limited run.

But it really comes down to what you want, and then buying it wisely.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Give money to Me so I can buy quickrod!

Or buy a vintage marshall... that tone is just so sexy...
Or old Fender, the beastlyiest cleans ever....
Nothing is going to hold value the way the economy is heading or if you sell it to someone in Europe. New stuff will loose value for years to come, and even boutique stuff you're going to need to hold on to get a good turn around on it. You're going to be in it for the long haul. My advice is to just get something and enjoy it.

IF you wanted to go new, a PRS Private Stock or Tom Anderson comes to mind, but new is a huge risk. You're much more likely to break even in a bad situation on a used, relatively unknown gem like a USA Schecter or USA Hamer, which also seem to go for low amounts compared to the quality of the guitar. there really aren't any killer values in the guitars you would be interested in. Maybe older copy era Ibanez and Yamaha. Most of your guitars that are going for fair prices are 80's super strats that no one wants, like Zion, Charvel/Jackson, Robin, and Signature.
Consider that some things like the Hermida ZenDrive sell on ebay for up to twice the retail price because the production is so low and the demand is so high.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^That's true. You could get on the list for a zendrive, mosferatu, cochrane Tim and Timmy, Klon Centaur, and an analogman King of Tone. They'd all be worth more when you got them than what you paid.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Load up on Blackface and Silverface Fenders. Just for the hell of it.

+1
These are still undervalued in general, compared to vintage guitars. Stock late 60s Marshall plexis are so expensive now that they're out of range of most people, but may continue to go up as guitars have.
I had many chances years ago to buy '57 Les Paul gold tops or '59 sunbursts for under $5000 in great original condition . I though that was outrageous at the time!
You never know.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by CJRocker
Nothing is going to hold value the way the economy is heading or if you sell it to someone in Europe. New stuff will loose value for years to come, and even boutique stuff you're going to need to hold on to get a good turn around on it. You're going to be in it for the long haul. My advice is to just get something and enjoy it.

IF you wanted to go new, a PRS Private Stock or Tom Anderson comes to mind, but new is a huge risk. You're much more likely to break even in a bad situation on a used, relatively unknown gem like a USA Schecter or USA Hamer, which also seem to go for low amounts compared to the quality of the guitar. there really aren't any killer values in the guitars you would be interested in. Maybe older copy era Ibanez and Yamaha. Most of your guitars that are going for fair prices are 80's super strats that no one wants, like Zion, Charvel/Jackson, Robin, and Signature.

I do plan on holding onto whatever I buy for a while. I want to pass it down to my kid someday. /sappiness.

However, the economy will pick back up. Maybe not soon, but it won't stay this way forever. Also, some people will always be immune to economic fluctuations because they are so wealthy. I would imagine these future gear collectors would love to have a PRS Private Stock guitar with a low serial number or a brazilian rosewood fretboard (assuming using braziilian rosewood for guitars will be banned).

I have seen the Skreddy Mayo and Paul Cochrane Tim(my) sell for well over what the original asking price was. It may be a good idea to get on the list for a Skreddy something or the like while the return rates are good.

My list of things to look into is as follows:
Vintage Fenders (Jag, Mustang, Starcaster, Jazzmaster -- no way I could afford a strat or tele)
Vintage Gibsons (I have seen late 60's 335's go for around $6k, some of the older acoustics can be had for under $10k)
Silverface Fender amps/ restore a Blackface
Fender Custom Shop Rosewood Tele
Gibson Les Paul Supreme or some custom shop sig reissue (Peter Frampton LP, Hendrix V, etc)
Gibson Doves in flight
Martin Belleza Biance (sp?)
PRS Private Stock
Suhr
Tom Anderson
Skreddy
Tim/Timmy

Actually, I kind of want a Starcaster Hollowbody for ****s and giggles. Keep the suggestions coming.
Last edited by colin617 at May 8, 2008,
Quote by colin617

Actually, I kind of want a Starcaster Hollowbody for ****s and giggles. Keep the suggestions coming.

The Starcaster sounds good. I Fender doing a possible reissue too.

All of your current gear is drool-worthy, and pound for pound, you probably have some of the best on UG.

Any purchase is really going to be a vanity purchase, and there's nothing wrong with that

I think looking for an original Les Paul Junior, or Special would be a good idea, as would a Fender Jaguar, endless possibilities really...

EDIT: Out of interest TS, what's your bands name? Are you famous?
Quote by greggybhoy
The Starcaster sounds good. I Fender doing a possible reissue too.

All of your current gear is drool-worthy, and pound for pound, you probably have some of the best on UG.

Any purchase is really going to be a vanity purchase, and there's nothing wrong with that

I think looking for an original Les Paul Junior, or Special would be a good idea, as would a Fender Jaguar, endless possibilities really...

EDIT: Out of interest TS, what's your bands name? Are you famous?

The Skyline Drive. link is in my profile.
Not famous -- we just have a good luck getting great gigs.
Quote by colin617

My list of things to look into is as follows:
Vintage Fenders (Jag, Mustang, Starcaster, Jazzmaster -- no way I could afford a strat or tele)

Vintage jazzmaster ftw!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?