I'm (mostly) a death metal guy. I've got a few months until I get some new gear, so I'd like to improvise on what I've got until then. My gear is a ****ty Esteban amp for the acoustic guitars he sells, and a Zoom G1.

I had a lot of other stuff that I could configure together to get basically any tone, but it was all stolen. So yeah, sort of out of luck there.

Anyway, the Zoom G1 can get some pretty metal tones. By default it's got a Kirk Hammett one like in the heaviest parts of the song One, and a few other cool tones, including one that sounds like Black Sabbath.

But I'd like to get at least some basic death and thrash tones, for various different types of music, see which goes best with my vocals, etc.

Entombed - I for an Eye: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vkpZ1tPCSJ4

I love that, but the album version beats the music video version, because the bass is a lot higher there.

SYL - Love?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=LeG-6bpeUkA

That one's also pretty messed up. Maybe an alternative mix because the guitar and bass overpower the vocals while at the same time sounding sort of like they've got messed acoustics wherever they recorded.

On the thrash side, I really dig this song...

Death Angel - Sonic Beatdown: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pdEmqg8i6t4

The specs of the Zoom are probably on the site in my sig of theirs (I'm convinced it MAY be able to get up to a death metal crunch just based on the sheer number of tones it can hit from default).

Also: Bonus points if you can tell me what's used on this non-thrash song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lZ7qx4i7fdc

(it's the second song, not the first, whatever that is...)

Any help would be much appreciated!
Jackson SL1 Soloist / Seymour Duncan Pickups
Shitty Zoom G1 "Effects Pedal"
Shitty Esteban Acoustic Guitar Amp

(hey, makes ends meet until I get more cash. The SL1 was a gift, the other stuff I bought myself, amp before, Zoom after)
lots of gain, lots of bass, treble, and scoop the mid.

EMG humbuckers are a must. preferably, 81/85
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
Quote by djn419

That's coming... eventually.

Trying to save up enough money for a Jackson custom with an 81/85 setup.

Thing is, I knew a guy (he's now in college far and away) with the same setup as me (only a '75 amp with less options than mine, but still has an overdrive somehow) and he pulls off death metal perfectly fine. Seymour duncans and Zoom G1. In fact, he's the one who recommended the Zoom for a cheap fix.

(hey, makes ends meet until I get more cash. The SL1 was a gift, the other stuff I bought myself, amp before, Zoom after)
Quote by djn419

No.

Scooping mids is bad because if/when you get a band together you won't be heard in the mix. Mids = tone.

EMGs are not essential and are purely a matter of taste, just like just about any other pickup choice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No.

Scooping mids is bad because if/when you get a band together you won't be heard in the mix. Mids = tone.

EMGs are not essential and are purely a matter of taste, just like just about any other pickup choice.

agreed.

as for Love? devin uses a 7 string Esp with EMG 707's and a mahagony body with a maple neckthru.

amp wise try something along the lines of VHT.. ENGL... etc.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Hate to bump, but have a new question: what about a sludge metal tone like King Buzzo from the Melvins gets in songs like Honey Bucket?

Quote by Venice
Hate to bump, but have a new question: what about a sludge metal tone like King Buzzo from the Melvins gets in songs like Honey Bucket?

Well I don't know much about the Melvins but I can say that most sludge tones are achieved with very vintage sounding pickups and amps with just tonnes of gain and not much treble. Heavy on the bass and mids though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I just got a Nasty Mesa Boogie Mark IV for my birthday and it is the best thing i have ever played. I have a an ESP LTD 1000 And it has EMG 81/85's in it and they destroy everything. But Mesa boogies are very expensive i would just go with a cheap crate or line 6 until you get better.
Useless
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No.

i have been in a band that recorded, and that was the exact tone i used. i either had little to no mid in my head EQ.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
Last edited by djn419 at May 10, 2008,
i dont know much about certain tones, but i heard that peavey makes great (but expensive) heads like the 6505, 6505+, and 5150 that gives it a great thrash tone
i remember trying out a half-stack with a peavey (dont remember the model name) head, and a marshall 4X12 cab, sounded great

i know a lot of people say that good tones come from personal tastes, so experiment a little with different amps with (maybe) different EQ settings and try to get that thrash-like, edgy sound that you want

dont know if this could help or not
GEAR
Peavey 5150 (block lettered)
Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12
Ibanez RG7620 w/ EMG 707s
Ibanez RG7321
Line 6 POD X3 Live