My roommate wants to start jamming with us and has a $500ish budget to get his first bass and amp.

He is a lefty and was thinking of grabbing the Douglas WPB-955T NA and the Ampeg BA112 50W.

Are these decent choices and/or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
What type of music do you play? Do you/him need the b-string?

I've gigged on that amp before.
It'll hold up but doesn't have a tone that really cuts through.
But I'm used to my Ashdown mag 300 :P

Edit: That is a pretty good combo tho.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Last edited by Woogles at May 8, 2008,
He'll probably end up gigging with us.

We pretty much play alternative-ish stuff.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
That being the case, I'd go with the best quality amp you can get in his price range. The ampeg you listed will be okay in smaller/medium-small gigs, but bigger ones he might have trouble being heard with just 50w. hard to say. I don't know anything about Douglas basses, so I'll let someone else ocmment on that.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
What kinda amps are the guitarists using?

I use a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 and the other guitarist runs a Pod XT Live through some 60w Crate 1x12. I don't get to turn up that much .

Quote by Mutant Corn
I'd go with a 200w (or around) amp and a used bass...

The main problem with trying to find a used bass is that he's a lefty.

I'll peruse the ebay, though.

Quote by Bass First
Spend a bit more on the amp, your tone mainly comes from the amp.

Does the ampeg not sound good?
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at May 8, 2008,
Quote by FacingUsAll
I use a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 and the other guitarist runs a Pod XT Live through some 60w Crate 1x12. I don't get to turn up that much .

The main problem with trying to find a used bass is that he's a lefty.

I'll peruse the ebay, though.

Does the ampeg not sound good?

I am a huge Ampeg fan girl and love the wonderful round sound of their gear. However, their lower priced amps / combos are not really on par with other similarly priced gear.

The newer BA combos are not very loud for their wattage--I tried the whole range of the BA series (50 - 200 W) before landing an older BA3158. Even at 150W its not exactly groundshaking, though it works for me since I am currently only playing smaller gigs with one or two other guitarist. However, it barely gets me over my drummer and at times he can't hear me at all.
What about something from the Carvin Pro Bass series?

There's a used Carvin PB-200 on ebay for pretty cheap, although the harmony-central reviews of it aren't so great.

Would the PB-100 have enough oomph?

Any other suggestions on what amp to get?
Quote by utsapp89
If he doesn't really need a 5-string, then he could save $100 and go with an SX instead, maybe like:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product712.html

Not bad for a beginner bass. While not nearly as good as my Stingray or Spector (and also WAY less in cost), my SX still plays great and is way better than the first bass I had.
Quote by anarkee
I am a huge Ampeg fan girl and love the wonderful round sound of their gear. However, their lower priced amps / combos are not really on par with other similarly priced gear.

The newer BA combos are not very loud for their wattage--I tried the whole range of the BA series (50 - 200 W) before landing an older BA3158. Even at 150W its not exactly groundshaking, though it works for me since I am currently only playing smaller gigs with one or two other guitarist. However, it barely gets me over my drummer and at times he can't hear me at all.

How do the 2 8" speakers sound?

Quote by electricJ
If he doesn't really need a 5-string, then he could save $100 and go with an SX instead, maybe like:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product712.html

Not bad for a beginner bass. While not nearly as good as my Stingray or Spector (and also WAY less in cost), my SX still plays great and is way better than the first bass I had.

I think he wants the douglas more because it is a neck-through, and not so much because it has 5 strings.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at May 8, 2008,
The B3158 has 1 - 8" and 1 - 15" speaker. The sound is typical Ampeg "round" with a nice punch . Its a great amp if you can find one used but its a rather large combo, and it can be a bear to get in and out of a small vehicle.

For more info see: http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/B-3.PDF. The specs are all there.

But in that price range, Carvin has some nice gear and you may want to check out used Ashdown as well.
Quote by anarkee
The B3158 has 1 - 8" and 1 - 15" speaker. The sound is typical Ampeg "round" with a nice punch . Its a great amp if you can find one used but its a rather large combo, and it can be a bear to get in and out of a small vehicle.

For more info see: http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/B-3.PDF. The specs are all there.

But in that price range, Carvin has some nice gear and you may want to check out used Ashdown as well.

Oh, I read that as B328 for some reason .

I'll run some stuff by him.
Quote by utsapp89