So, to make a long story short:

I am currently in a band. I'm frustrated because the other two members only want to play hard rock/metal, and I would like to make it more experimental alternative. And even if they wanted to play more like that, they don't know how.

So I will be quitting this band by next August for sure. I had originally planned to write with them and hopefully get enough songs for a demo done, then I would leave (because I am moving then).

But should I just quit now?

I also feel like my ability to play the guitar progressed faster when I was playing on my own rather than with this band.

On another note, if I stay with the band, and live with heavy metal for a while, how do we tell if what we wrote is good or not?

So much for making a long story short.

Thanks for any help.
You just have to weigh out the pros and cons.

Do you want to be in a band? Is this band playing shows? Is it a full band?

Can you get a band going if you quit this? Will it be worth it since you're moving in August? (this year or next?)
if your not happy leave...its that ****ing simple...if your not happy now with it...its not going to get better...move on
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
Well for one thing, do you like your bandmates? Are you all tight? Because if you are I'm sure you can influence them to write some music that would be more suitable to your tastes. Unless they're complete douchebags they're probably willing to negotiate.

And have you told them you're considering leaving? If so, how did they respond to this? Because if I was losing a band member over something stupid like this I would try and meet them in the middle somewhere...
Quote by eds1275
Well for one thing, do you like your bandmates? Are you all tight? Because if you are I'm sure you can influence them to write some music that would be more suitable to your tastes. Unless they're complete douchebags they're probably willing to negotiate.

And have you told them you're considering leaving? If so, how did they respond to this? Because if I was losing a band member over something stupid like this I would try and meet them in the middle somewhere...

yeah... ^ what dr. phil said.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by joshua029
yeah... ^ what dr. phil said.

is that a compliment or insult

.....thanks...?
def not an insult dude... very intelligent and wise response! your awesome! seriously, i mean that dude...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by CelestialChaos
You just have to weigh out the pros and cons.

Do you want to be in a band? Is this band playing shows? Is it a full band?

Can you get a band going if you quit this? Will it be worth it since you're moving in August? (this year or next?)

1. I did want to be in a band. now i'm not sure.

2. We won't end up playing any shows before august.

3. We're lacking a vocalist, unless the bassist decides he can sing and play bass.

4. Where I'm moving to the music scene is a lot bigger, so I'd wait till then to try to get something going, if at all.

5. It'll be this next august. (2008)

Quote by eds1275

We get along really well actually. I just don't like the kind of music we've been playing.

They know I will be leaving in august. But I haven't told them I'm considering leaving now. Actually I think I may have mentioned it to one of them once.
Last edited by andersoncouncil at May 8, 2008,
Maybe you can compromise. Use your interest in experimental alternative to create some really sweet (and original) metal riffs. I think that could be a good exchange.
I say leave now. You're not having a good time and you don't have any gigs coming up.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Use all your different influences and don't THINK about what kind of music you're playing, is my advice.

I didn't go into my band thinking "OK, we're going to play metal/blues/pop-punk/whatever", rather, it was just a group of friends who were all musicians deciding to play together. Two kids quit at the same time (A drummer, and a drummer/guitarist), we got another guitar player, and he brought a really blues-y sound. However, we STILL don't have a sound. Sometimes we play fast punk songs. We do slow, acoustic ballads. We do really weird, experimental, jazzy stuff. Don't confine yourself to be a genre. Genre are what people label you as for purposes of others listening to you. Genres shouldn't be used by a band to restrict what they play.
Just fuse with them, you can make some absolutely brilliant sounds with the nature of your bandmates, think, a powerful metal rhythm section with an experimental guitarist

Our band is sort of like that, I (guitarist) am very old school metal, all harmonies and triplets, our other guitarist is very pp and blues rock, our bassist is sort of prog/funk/80's metal, our drummer loves screamo, metalcore, indie and pop rock, and our singer doesnt really have a specific theme going on but she dresses emo

So we end up with songs with bits that are very old school within songs that are essentially modern, with pop, rock, progresive, and metal elements (but never really punk)
Quote by imtank
if your not happy leave...its that ****ing simple...

Absolutely true.
There's a saying among musicians; 'If it's no fun, and you're not earning a living wage out of it, there's no point in doing it.'

But I also agree with this.
Quote by eds1275

There's always the chance that you can influence the rest of the band, but I wouldn't be threatening to leave unless they play what you want them to, because that just makes you look like a spoilt brat who has a hissy fit and threatens to take their ball home when they don't get their own way. You might get them to play what you want that way, but it'll make you unpopular and cause friction within the band.
By all means, try and influence them into doing something a bit different, all in the name of originality, but, after trying to get them to play something other than rock/metal for a while, if they still refuse to play anything other than rock/metal, just say 'Thanks guys, it's been great but it's not what I want out of music.' and move on.
Y'see, the problem is, they must also work by the same set of rules as you.
If they ain't enjoying themselves, there's no point in them doing it either, and if they don't seem to be able to enjoy playing something different from the rock/metal scene, then you have a working relationship with a bunch of guys that's just not gonna work.