Alright, so i got a brand spankin new Gibson SG Standard last year around december...been playing it for a while with its standard pickups. My play style is usually metal/deathcore/metalcore and so on..so basically, im wondering; Should i fit my SG with EMG's or use the standard Humbuckers it came with?
Quote by thizzface jake
Alright, so i got a brand spankin new Gibson SG Standard last year around december...been playing it for a while with its standard pickups. My play style is usually metal/deathcore/metalcore and so on..so basically, im wondering; Should i fit my SG with EMG's or use the standard Humbuckers it came with?

i don't understand why you got a gibson sg if your style is hardcore music. sg's can handle alittle distortion, but i wouldnt suggest putting emgs on a sg.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
What amp are you using?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
If I were to go for metal pickups I would choose Seymour Duncans but that's just me. I have a Les Paul and the standard pickups, which I'm pretty sure are similar if not the same, have been fine for me and I play some metal too.

It (the sound) also really depends on your amp and any pedals you might have/use
keep the ones on there. or put in Duncans or Gibson '57 classics. EMGs are overrated (flameflameflame) and you'd have a very hard time modifying your SG to play active pickups.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by theacousticpunk
What amp are you using?

Ah boy..your gonna laugh when i say this

Im running a Marshall MG 250dfx
it was a gift given to me a few years ago and i havent had the money to buy a new one yet.
Yes, EMGs can be put in any guitar really. EMG makes pickups for just about any style, but they are mostly used for Metal so EMGs would give you a better Metal sound than Duncans IMO, being that they are active and "hotter" unless you get the SD Blackouts or some of the other higher output p-ups they have.
Main Gear:
guitars;
Gibson LPJ
Squire CLASSIC VIBE Stratocaster 60's
PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone Sheraton II

amps;
Bugera 1990, 6260
Egnater Tweaker
Quote by dannyisokay
keep the ones on there. or put in Duncans or Gibson '57 classics. EMGs are overrated (flameflameflame) and you'd have a very hard time modifying your SG to play active pickups.

Ok..thats the answer i was looking for
Thanks a bunch
Quote by fli.pansy
i don't understand why you got a gibson sg if your style is hardcore music. sg's can handle alittle distortion, but i wouldnt suggest putting emgs on a sg.

You say they handle little distortion?
Heres two bands w/ lead guitarists that use SG Standards

Here

And

here
If your using a Marshall MG, EMGs will be your worst nightmare. They don't sound particularly well with any solid state, let alone (flame shield) an MG.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by dannyisokay
...you'd have a very hard time modifying your SG to play active pickups.

How? It's not difficult at all.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by theacousticpunk
If your using a Marshall MG, EMGs will be your worst nightmare. They don't sound particularly well with any solid state, let alone (flame shield) an MG.

You can put your flame shield down, i totally agree with you. MGs are a totally different story...im probably gonna get a new solid state soon, and after that, a good tube and cab some time in the future. So ill probably just stick with the standard humbuckers on the SG.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
How? It's not difficult at all.

+1, you can put EMGs in any guitar with humbuckers.. and the active pots don't cost much at all either.

But don't do it with that MG.
flam shield engage...with the right pedals and fine tuning you can get some good tones with the MG...MG stock, total ****, a metal muff, eq, and noise gate later, pretty good though not great...I have EMGs and use that setup and it sounds pretty good...BUT I am trading the amp in soon
I will send UnsignedRecords in here he has an sg standard with emg's
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
IMO emgs sound the same in any guitar.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by XianXiuHong
Just like pretty much every other guitar with humbuckers...

But they're EMGs!
Don't put EMGs in an SG. If you have an SG you want tone. EMGs dont provide tone. Put EMGs in an ESP or something. Anyone who disagrees is probably too busy with their MG halfstack to care.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Go for it man. I have EMGs in my Gibson Les Paul Classic and it wails. I play mostly metal and rock. Don't worry about the EMG bashing. It's the trendy thing to do lately. The arguments used are usually pretty thin, and again trendy.

You'll love how they have super low noise.

You won't regret it. And to say that certain types of guitar are more metal, rock, blues. Same difference. If it feels awesome in your hands, you got a winner.
EMGs are great, but only for certain styles. The sound it gives is very neutral and sterile, which is great for some metal, but personally, I'd go with something that gives more tone.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
Emg's can give you more sounds than just metal. Look at Coheed and Cambria. Claudio Sanchez has been using Gibsons with Emg's since the begining. He uses mostly explorers now, but he's had sg's too. He has excellent tone if you ask me, and it's not metal in any sense of the word.

Also, just in case people are thinking, well of course a guy with Emg's is going to defend them, I don't/have never owned a guitar with them, but I have friends with them/like bands that use them, and would have no problem owning them, I think they sound very good for a variety of styles.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
Quote by JackoMBA
The arguments used are usually pretty thin, and again trendy.

just like the pickups.

EMGs are fine for some, i'm sure, but they didn't impress me. The '57 classics have more tone and clarity in my SG. I sold my SG standard, but Gibson makes really nice pickups.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Hmmm...

I bought and ESP Eclipse 2 recently and it came with EMG's. I didnt want them, but they wouldnt swap them, so I took it and figured I'd give them a try.

For all my twiddling I couldnt get a satisfactory sound from my VOX AD15VT. I I went to a few shops and tried them on a Marshall JVM900 ($400 bucks used-I should buy it!!), a couple of CRATES, and a Randall RC50TC or whatever. It practically sounded the same on every amp. Plus, unless you are running heavy effects/distortion, you can hear EVERYTHING (pick, string squeek etc).

Needless to say, I didnt care for them at the moment and ripped them out two days ago and put in some SD's. 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge. MUUUUCH better!

(pics soon to come)
Quote by SquierLolz
I will send UnsignedRecords in here he has an sg standard with emg's

haha, thanks

it's fun to see people against pickups they most likely haven't spent more than 2 minutes with

ts, there's a couple things to take note. first off, you're better off putting $200 into a new amp, preferably tube, and suits metal. you can find great ones for cheap if you look used. some noteable ones are:

randall rg50tc
b-52 at series
peavey 5150/6505 (good prices used)
mesa f series (discontinued, but very good, so go used)
even a used crate blue voodoo (put in some new tubes) and a 2x12 cab will do good for metal, as it has a buttload of gain.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
double post because too much text = crash.

the pickups in your sg are okay for just about everything, but can be a bit loose for heavy riffing. after you get yourself a new amp, and want to tighten up your tone a bit, emg's would help with articulation and clarity.

they're nowhere near impossible to install in an sg, by the way.

keep in mind, the cliche "they're only good for metal" is very overused, but has some truth to it. if you want to play 90% metal, then you're fine. but if you play less than 50%, an 81 in the bridge is just going to be too tight and not saggy enough for vintagey stuff. it's not too bad to work with, but for a blues/classic rock man, there's better alternatives.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by thizzface jake
You say they handle little distortion?
Heres two bands w/ lead guitarists that use SG Standards

Here

And

here

you think thats heavy.. wow. i wonder what you think death metal sounds like..

heres a hint: not a soundtrack from hannah montana tv's show.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
SELL UR MARSHALL MG and buy somthing with Valves man.
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....