Hey everyone,
I pretty much just found this forum while I'm searching out cabinets. Wondering if some people have thoughts to share with me about my next cabinet.
I play in a death-ish metal band with hardcore and black metal influences. We've got some stuff posted up here if anyone's interested: http://www.myspace.com/peregrinemetal
My guitar is on the left.

I'm playing an ESP LTD MH400NT with the 81/85 set and the back up guitar (and back 2 tracks) are an ESP LTD H400 with the JB/59 set, a 6505 plus head, Marshall 1960AV 412 cab and a Fender Dual Showman 2 x 15.
I really love the low end and the sound of the 2 x 15s, but they definitely lack clarity and probably a bit of wattage compared to the Marshall. Aside from that, they're vintage and have a 6 x 12 size, plus being thin. So gigging in tighter places means that I have to cram and can't stack reliably.
I decided to ax that cab and pick up another 4 x 12. I picked up an MXR 10 band EQ to keep the low end in there and hopefully sculpt the balance a bit.

Here's the question, I'm trying to figure out what 4 x 12 to go with. I'm thinking that I don't want another cab with vintage 30's and preferably something with a bit more clarity and low end. Closed back for sure, and I considered a JSX cab, but haven't been able to put the Sheffields next to the Vintage 30s to see how they sound together.
Looking around at used stuff I've been coming across a lot of G12K and G12T at decent used prices, but considering that I can't really lug my full rig to try at peoples houses or at guitar stores, I'm going into this a bit blind as to how the sounds match.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Have you had a look at the 6505 or 5150 cabinets?

Just asking as I have heard them and think it may be a good bet, especially when they were made for your head.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
I wouldn't go with anything Peavey for an amp. Their cabs just simply aren't that great sounding.

What's your price range?

G12T-75s will add some low-end to the sound, not as much as the 2x15s, but they have more than V30s and are a very good compliment to them.

If you like your Marshall cab, you could just pick up a used 1960 with the G12s in it or get an Avatar (which won't be built quite as well, but cheaper).

Eminence Legends/Texas Heats are also good, I'm not quite sure how they'd mix with V30s, but they're a very nice sounding speaker.

Krank, though a lot of people don't like their amps, makes very good quality equipment, however, it comes at a price. Vader cabs also come with these and may be worth a look as they're pretty much made for metal.

You might like the sound of Greenbacks as well, again, I can't really say how they'll match with V30s, but a lot of metal players seem to like them.

Marshall makes a 1960 with these in them as well, or you can go with Avatar as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Was just thinking Randall make a cabinet with 2 x 12 Celestian 30's and 1 x 15 Eminence, would like to try that one myself, but haven't got much of a range to look at here.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
I think the JSX cab is a good choice. The JSX cab is 400 watts and 16 ohms mono, which is good because your Marshall is also 16 ohms mono. (You'll need to get a 16 ohm cab so you can run both together with your amp set to 8 ohms)

I use a V30 loaded Mesa cab along with a 400 watt Hughes & Kettner 4x12. The combination of the crunchy sounding V30's natural breakup and the thick, clear lowend thump of the higher wattage H&K is great.
Quote by Perturabo
Have you had a look at the 6505 or 5150 cabinets?

Just asking as I have heard them and think it may be a good bet, especially when they were made for your head.

+1
Those cabs are made especially for those amps and they sound much tighter than cabs in the same price range.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
check out bassonsound.com rock solid cabinets, bone crushing low end you wont hear ANYWHERE else, i swear you wont be dissappointed if you're playing death metal. its airtight and doesnt woof out.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
normal marshall 1960a, has the g12's and will match your other marshall