Page 1 of 2
ive heard that the bad monkey is one of the better od pedals and i was thinking about getting it. hows it do with classic rock/rock and hows it do with metal?
On your clean channel it gives you that nice Skynyrdesque edge, on your dirty channel it really tightens things up. It turns my Tiny Terror into a metal amp, for instance.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Of course a Fulltone OCD will sound better, but that's also because it's four times the BM's price. Let's say it's a very good pedal for the price. They could charge the double for it IMO.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
it is actually a good pedal in my opinion.... the price is just an added bonus - i would pay twice the price for this - i did for my Ibanez TS9 and realised the bad monkey did what i wanted better (the low and high controls are really great)
Good for chucking in the bin. Save and buy something worthwhile int he overdrive department. The Bad Monkey is a piece of ****.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Good for chucking in the bin. Save and buy something worthwhile int he overdrive department. The Bad Monkey is a piece of ****.

Bull****
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by IncubusMan999

You're a piece of ****. Now, go be useless elsewhere.

The Bad Monkey is on my top 5 list of overdrive pedals I recommend to people. It's great for the price, and Digitech could easily charge twice the price for it, and still have everyone that loves it pay that much for it.

The thing's great for tightening up gain on any amp. I see it commonly used in conjunction with the Peavey Valveking to get one of the better metal setups on a budget. However, if used right, you can get a classic rock/ rock sound with it if used with a decent tube amp for the job. I wouldn't go running one through a Mesa Boogie Rectifier and expect an AC/DC sound out of it or something. I'd use something like some form of decent Marshall, then use the Monkey as a sort of solo boost. But then again, if you're paying that much for a Marshall, may as well go for the Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer.
Quote by IncubusMan999

why u say that?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Dizeaz2112
You're a piece of ****. Now, go be useless elsewhere.

Was that really necessary?

I have to explain this every time I say this in a thread. The last time I tried a Bad Monkey, I played it through a Marshall TSL combo for about 45 mins to an hour and I could not get a single good tone out of it. It felt lifeless, had no real versatility, sounded digital and programmed as if it was simulating something rather than producing a natural overdrive (yes, I know it is analog, this outrage has occurred before) and had nothing really going for it.

Yes, it is a good price, but essentially, you are getting what you pay for. I'd much rather recommend this user something in the higher range of overdrives that he will grow to love in his setup, something that will serve more than just a quick fix until his sense of tone further develops. This is not to mention, excluding the Whammy and maybe the Synth Wah, Digitech have never really released a good piece of gear that proves its worth.

Regardless of your high regard of this overdrive, Dizeaz, I have a right to my opinion and you have no right to insult me for expressing it, so keep your big mouth shut. I dignify my opinion with an answer and I aloowed you to yours.

To the TS, look into some better brands and save a bit of money for something that wil actually serve you well. Experiment and listen to som sound samples to see what tone you like. I can list for you some great brands if you like.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
^ I would bet money that that was far more down to the TSL being a horrible POS. Which they are.

The Bad Monkey is great, with a good bypass and a fantastic price. It's sturdy as hell and has a pretty damn good tone. It's fairly hard to dial in a 'perfect' sound as the tone controls focuse more around lower- and upper- mids, but when a good balance is found it's great.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ I would bet money that that was far more down to the TSL being a horrible POS. Which they are.

The Bad Monkey is great, with a good bypass and a fantastic price. It's sturdy as hell and has a pretty damn good tone. It's fairly hard to dial in a 'perfect' sound as the tone controls focuse more around lower- and upper- mids, but when a good balance is found it's great.

See, that's where my opinion differs from yours, because I really like the TSL seires. Not much for cleans, but impressive dirty channel, prefer my Rockerverb though

This is not to mention this is my latest experience with the Bad Monkey, I tried it again after the last massive battle I had with someone who believe the Bad Monkey was great, and I defied them after having tried it for half an hour through a different setup and hating it. The second time, I just found I could not get a good, pure tone from it. The EQ was alright but it just didn't have that natural sounding overdrive that you get from something more adequate (If i say the Maxon or Xotic BB, people are gonna think I'm advertising again). I think that the TS should not waste his money on the first thing he sees, and buys a decent overdrive for about $150 more, I mean, that's 2 weeks pay tops in Australia. I just thought, to sum up, that the Bad Monkey had no sense of soul or feeling to the sound, it was cold and sterile like a Boss overdrive (new model) and it just lacked everything an overdrive should have tonally. That being said, I usually have a couple of controversial opinions around here hence why I'm not so popular.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by timi_hendrix
As a standalone overdrive? Not good. Combined with an amp's overdrive, great.

To be honest, I didn't really notice the difference when I chucked it on the dirty channel. There was no real difference in tone or much in volume.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
hang on, you used it as a standalone? Not to add level to the signal to boost overdrive? That's its forte, I fail to see how that can make your sound at all digital.

And we can disagree on the TSLs, but IMO they're muddy muddy muddy and fuzzy.
Quote by MrCarrot
hang on, you used it as a standalone? Not to add level to the signal to boost overdrive? That's its forte, I fail to see how that can make your sound at all digital.

And we can disagree on the TSLs, but IMO they're muddy muddy muddy and fuzzy.

When I used it standalone, the overdrive it produced didn't push the front end of the amp by the sound it was creating, it was more generating a sort of mastered overdrive that felt cold to me sort of like when you put a Tubescreamer through a solid-state, it just doesn't do that much and sounds un-natural and out of place. (It's 2am here, I'm not much for descriptions at this hour)

As a booster (I tried it as both, for 2 hours of combined sessions, I would have hoped so), I didn't really notice its influence that much, it just really remained the same with a little bit of added volume and putting the gain up to contrast the volume meant it started to have an effect but not one I would like to relive any time soon. That is my personal experience.

With the TSL amps, I can sort of see where you are coming from, they are a bit too fuzzy compared to other better amps, but they are pretty pure and rich in mids compared to a 6l6 driven amp like a Mesa, which sort of sounds very fizzy to me.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
I know what you mean on mids, I love my mids.

I'd advise you to try it again, but as a booster this time. What I liked to do on mine when I used it, was level max, gain nil, and bass and treble both somewhere between 1 and 3 o'clock. Having the bass and treble low cuts the output and tone boost of the pedal too much, but too much makes it muddy. I do see what you mean, it is hard to dial in, but when done so perfectly it sounds great.
Quote by MrCarrot

This
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
They are known for being "good for the price"... keep in mind that it will sound different with different amp/guitar pairings.... hence so many differing opinions here..... I've tried one before and thought it was ok.... that was through a PRS custom 24 to a Fender Twin, and also to an AC30. Personally, I prefer a Maxon 808 for overdrive tones.

I don't see what kind of amp you have.... but I will tell you that OD's are designed to be played with TUBE amps...... and with a tube amp it will get rock tones.... and help your dirty amp sound tighten up for metal tones.

Most importantly.... take YOUR gear and go to the music store and try a few out for a while and see what suits your fancy!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by skynyrd_69
i have a peavey valveking 112, and i would be using this on the clean channel.

Don't bother then, like said before it's at it's best when working with an OD channel, it sounds pretty poor on its own.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by brianthemayan
They are known for being "good for the price"... keep in mind that it will sound different with different amp/guitar pairings.... hence so many differing opinions here..... I've tried one before and thought it was ok.... that was through a PRS custom 24 to a Fender Twin, and also to an AC30. Personally, I prefer a Maxon 808 for overdrive tones.

I don't see what kind of amp you have.... but I will tell you that OD's are designed to be played with TUBE amps...... and with a tube amp it will get rock tones.... and help your dirty amp sound tighten up for metal tones.

Most importantly.... take YOUR gear and go to the music store and try a few out for a while and see what suits your fancy!

Yes, they are pretty cheap, I have to give that to it, but I think that you may as well save about $100 more for something more consistent, versatile and something that can achieve all goals that an overdrive should ultimately ace. I tried it on two separate occasions with a PRS Custom 22 through a TSL 122 (i think) combo amp and then a Maton Mastersound through a Mesa Stilleto Ace combo (I like mids just as much as MrCarrot Mids rule). Through both setups, I found that it severely lacked when used to overdrive the cleans, as I generally do with my overdrive and boost-wise, it never really made that much of a difference, despite a long time spent on EQ settings and tinkering, I just lost patience and walked out briskly. Besides, I am very happy wiht my Maxon OD-9 for the style of music I write and subsequently, play.

And dude, it makes me sad that you think I am a noob by explaining that fundamental concept, I answer a fair few questions for people around here yet no-one knows me.

Lastly, if you look at the pedalboard and amp I got, there ain't no way I would drag that monster with me to a guitar shop, especially my little local shop.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by timi_hendrix
Don't bother then, like said before it's at it's best when working with an OD channel, it sounds pretty poor on its own.

yeah, I would have to agree, you should probably invest in something more solid for a use like that. There is reasons as why some guitarists have numerous different overdrives on their board, for different purposes e.g. boosting, pushing the front end of the speakers to get more gain to power through heavier stuff with class or to dirty up the clean channel for crunchy AC/DC type tones, or even to add a slightly sharper nuance to your pick attack when you are playing softer stuff so the amp over-drives at a lower volume and pick attack.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Yes, they are pretty cheap, I have to give that to it, but I think that you may as well save about $100 more for something more consistent, versatile and something that can achieve all goals that an overdrive should ultimately ace. I tried it on two separate occasions with a PRS Custom 22 through a TSL 122 (i think) combo amp and then a Maton Mastersound through a Mesa Stilleto Ace combo (I like mids just as much as MrCarrot Mids rule). Through both setups, I found that it severely lacked when used to overdrive the cleans, as I generally do with my overdrive and boost-wise, it never really made that much of a difference, despite a long time spent on EQ settings and tinkering, I just lost patience and walked out briskly. Besides, I am very happy wiht my Maxon OD-9 for the style of music I write and subsequently, play.

And dude, it makes me sad that you think I am a noob by explaining that fundamental concept, I answer a fair few questions for people around here yet no-one knows me.

Lastly, if you look at the pedalboard and amp I got, there ain't no way I would drag that monster with me to a guitar shop, especially my little local shop.

Where in the world, and how could you possibly think that when I posted that I was speaking to YOU in ANY way. My post was to the OP... not to you.....

and my post was not in any way calling anyone a "noob" or hinting at it.. where the hell do you get that?.... please to be reviewing my post again for proper context...

And lastly..... you should always try out any gear with your own set up... different equipment responds quite differently with other set ups. It also allows you to try out many other pedals/etc to compare and contrast to your potential purchase. oh yea, and I checked out your set up... and there is no reason you should not take that into a store to try something out.... christ man a combo amp and a pedal board? WTF are you crying about?

OH... and I looked back for your "advice" in this thread. 1st post really helpful.... a blanketing "bad monkey is a piece of $h1t.... buy something more expensive"... if thats the kind of advice you are trying to build a reputation off of here, then you are failing BADLY.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
The Bad Monkey is a future legendary pedal. You have to remember higher price does not always equal better. At the time SRV was using a TS-9 it was just as cheap as any other normal pedal.

I use it to tighten my lead channel, it makes a *huge* difference. The people saying they couldn't hear the difference/it sounds digital/etc, I can understand having an opinion on tone, we all do, but to be tone deaf and still have an opinion is completely different.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
To brainthemayan

Alright, then that was a misappropriation on my behalf, I thought you were addressing me with the lecture of the "overdrives go with tube amps" quip. My mistake once again.
Now I don't know if you are still addressing me here, but it is almost damn impossible to bring my setup to a guitar store, especially it takes a whole car and a bit to fit my gear and that pedalboard is ****ing heavy and I don't want to transport it at least 15km or pack it up to take to a store for an hour's worth of play. Generally if a product is consistent, it will work well with one's own setup and secondly, I know my setup and its reactions well enough to make a fairly accurate prediction on its merit within my pedalboard.

And I'm not essentially trying to build up a reputation, I'm not online enough to have one. Belive you me, I'm not the only one who replies "It's a piece of ****". While I agree the MG is exactly what it is commonly labelled (a pice of ****), people will say "Don't buy an MG, it's a piece of ****, buy a tube combo". I also offered to give the TS some potential options for better overdrives.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
To brainthemayan

Alright, then that was a misappropriation on my behalf, I thought you were addressing me with the lecture of the "overdrives go with tube amps" quip. My mistake once again.
Now I don't know if you are still addressing me here, but it is almost damn impossible to bring my setup to a guitar store, especially it takes a whole car and a bit to fit my gear and that pedalboard is ****ing heavy and I don't want to transport it at least 15km or pack it up to take to a store for an hour's worth of play. Generally if a product is consistent, it will work well with one's own setup and secondly, I know my setup and its reactions well enough to make a fairly accurate prediction on its merit within my pedalboard.

And I'm not essentially trying to build up a reputation, I'm not online enough to have one. Belive you me, I'm not the only one who replies "It's a piece of ****". While I agree the MG is exactly what it is commonly labelled (a pice of ****), people will say "Don't buy an MG, it's a piece of ****, buy a tube combo". I also offered to give the TS some potential options for better overdrives.

So, essentially, you just compared the Bad Monkey to the MG? These two situations are nothing alike. The MG really IS a piece of ****. This is universally accepted by guitarists all over this forum, as well as the world. The Bad Monkey isn't.

TS, just ignore the Incubus guy. He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. The Bad Monkey is a great overdrive.
Though its probably the best od for that price, its still not a very good od. The bypass is especially dissapointing. Off or on, it colours your tone so much its hard to recognise the original amp's sound behind it. Personally I just found it very hard to tune in a good sound with this thing.

One good thing, it holds its (though low) value well on resale, and from a distance it kinda looks like a tubescreamer
Quote by Dizeaz2112
So, essentially, you just compared the Bad Monkey to the MG? These two situations are nothing alike. The MG really IS a piece of ****. This is universally accepted by guitarists all over this forum, as well as the world. The Bad Monkey isn't.

TS, just ignore the Incubus guy. He obviously has no idea what he's talking about. The Bad Monkey is a great overdrive.

For god's sake no, I am commenting on how he said that my opinion is invalid because I just said this particular item is **** yet people with high repsectability around here do it all the time with the MG. No comparison, no association, just a cataylst to dignify my response.

On a different note, yes, the MG is a piece of ****, bu tfor the most part, so is the Bad Monkey. Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't mean it doesn't hold its worth. I trialed the piece for a lengthy period of time and I made a judgment. Don't tell me I am a complete idiot becuase I disagree with you because you have NOTHING to back that up. And I don't really have any regard towards what is genuine accepted, after 5 years of consistent guitar gear research, playing and accumulated pedal knowledge, I think I may just know what I am talking about. And besides, can you actually support that claim that the Bad monkey is "universally accepted". Tell me where it is accepted apart from here that you have been to.

Besides, an 08'er telling me I don't know ****. Is there something wrong with this picture?
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at May 12, 2008,
Quote by IncubusMan999
Besides, an 08'er telling me I don't know ****. Is there something wrong with this picture?

at this point I disregarded everything you had previously posted.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by IncubusMan999

You registered after me, YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY INFERIOR.

My Music
Quote by IncubusMan999
For god's sake no, I am commenting on how he said that my opinion is invalid because I just said this particular item is **** yet people with high repsectability around here do it all the time with the MG. No comparison, no association, just a cataylst to dignify my response.

On a different note, yes, the MG is a piece of ****, bu tfor the most part, so is the Bad Monkey. Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't mean it doesn't hold its worth. I trialed the piece for a lengthy period of time and I made a judgment. Don't tell me I am a complete idiot becuase I disagree with you because you have NOTHING to back that up. And I don't really have any regard towards what is genuine accepted, after 5 years of consistent guitar gear research, playing and accumulated pedal knowledge, I think I may just know what I am talking about. And besides, can you actually support that claim that the Bad monkey is "universally accepted". Tell me where it is accepted apart from here that you have been to.

oh wow... OK... I am a member of many guitar forums, have been playing and dealing in many kinds of gear for 16 years. On all of the forums, and around the community of players that I associate with the Bad Monkey is considered "good for the price"... not great mind you... but certainly not garbage. This is the general opinion of the pedal... a smaller percentage of people will claim its the greatest ever, and some will say its garbage..... but a generalization the majority of the gear nuts will agree that it is "good for the price".

Doubt this? 3 forums where this is "generally accepted" Search this forum, search Harmony Central, search Guitar Geek (those guys LOVE the Bad Monkey), etc, etc,... you will find this to be the case.

Here is a link to review from people who own the pedal

Here is another link to more reviews

Seriously, taking advice from a guy who can't carry a pedal board.... if its that big you should get a rack unit with some kind of switching system (GCX's with a Digital Ground Control is a decent option) for those pedals. It will give you less sound degredation from the chain, and you will be doing less tap dancing, more control, AND you will be able to transport it easier. And by the way, if the pics in your profile are what you are taking about.... I am curious what kind of rollerskate it is you drive that you can't fit it into?

seriously... thats it?:
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Last edited by brianthemayan at May 12, 2008,
For all the arguments you guys make, its still a much better option to save up to roughly twice the amount a bad monkey costs (which still isn't a whole lot) and get a pedal that's quite possibly ten times better.
Quote by Revhain
For all the arguments you guys make, its still a much better option to save up to roughly twice the amount a bad monkey costs (which still isn't a whole lot) and get a pedal that's quite possibly ten times better.

there's no pedal that I know of for £50 that would be 10 times better than the Bad Monkey.

Mine does the job I wanted it for. And it does it fairly well IMO.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Alright look everybody, if I am not entitled to my opinion about the Bad Monkey, then I will enofrce it no more, and if my well-researched opinion is being disregarded and dismissed, then I shall not proceed further. This doesn't mean anyone has won or is victorious, moreso that I just can't be arsed to argue over something that I have lost passion for. it seems if one person doesn't agree with the general consensus in this thread, then they are referred to as an inexperienced idiot.

Fair enough, my bad for not doing my research about you Brian, but the general attitude of some of these forum members screams 'i have infinite experience!' without any actual evidence to back it up so I mistakenly made a pre-emptive judgement that you fit in that group. To get onto your next point, I can see that gear nuts would say "good for the price" and yes, I agree, it does serve the very basic purposes of its price value, but compared to others that are slightly more expensive, it is garbage. Hopefully that clarifies things a bit. Additionally, the Bad Monkey is commonly accepted as average in Harmony Central.

About a rack unit, I actually tried that setup briefly, and I prefer to have on-floor effects setups as I find it easier to adjust my settings rapidly, to experiement with all the knobs in live action as I often do and I control almost all of these effects with the Line Selector there so I don't really tap-dance that much, plus it improves my co-ordination. The sound degradation is not really significant as I have the Line selector (will be replaced by a true-bypass looper in due time) that bypasses most of those, and the others that aren't are true bypass with the exception of my wah which acts as a buffer between cables. And for the record, it fits in the backseat just, it is bigger than it looks and it has an awkward shape compared to the configuration of the back seats.

In conclusion, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree and moving on on good terms but you telling people to ignore my opinion when I have validated it and it is well researched is really uncalled for, just because you disagree with it. Still, I can see where you are coming from with your evaluation of this pedal, but I do disagree with it and I think it be best to just allow each other to our contrasting opinions? What do you say? Are we good? ?
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Lemoninfluence
at this point I disregarded everything you had previously posted.

Fair enough, I am being a bit overtly decisive tonight, had quite an average day.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Lemoninfluence
there's no pedal that I know of for £50 that would be 10 times better than the Bad Monkey.

Mine does the job I wanted it for. And it does it fairly well IMO.

maybe not 10 times, but still much better would be something like an sd1, modded or unmodded. For a little more cash yet there's some awesome overdrives out there. I'm especially a fan of boutique and obscure brands. Yes those often cost a lot more, but there are a few gems that cost something around the 100 euro mark, which is roughly double the price of a bad monkey where I live

And I'm not even talking about the second hand market yet.

Honestly, a bad monkey is something I'd buy if I were lazy. And make no mistake, I have owned one for about six months.
Quote by IncubusMan999
What do you say? Are we good? ?

We're good.

Funny, I had a similar situation as you.. I had a pedal board with 17 pedals on it that was a beast to gig with...(and I also used the LS2 for looping!) so I switched to a rack unit with slide out trays to adjust the pedals for on the fly.... but I have found the longer I have been playing, the less I want the pedals.... Now I'm down to a board with 5 pedals (tuner, od, eq, phase, delay). Truth be told... I may end up going down to just a tuner, OD, and simple delay....

Also, I think the extra cash spent on a higher quality OD is very sound advice... The Bad Monkey will "do the job".... but not like a higher quality OD would...
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Quote by Revhain
maybe not 10 times, but still much better would be something like an sd1, modded or unmodded. For a little more cash yet there's some awesome overdrives out there. I'm especially a fan of boutique and obscure brands. Yes those often cost a lot more, but there are a few gems that cost something around the 100 euro mark, which is roughly double the price of a bad monkey where I live

And I'm not even talking about the second hand market yet.

Honestly, a bad monkey is something I'd buy if I were lazy. And make no mistake, I have owned one for about six months.

I've had an SD-1, they're the same price as a bad monkey and the monkey blows it away. SD-1 goes from muddy to harsh way too quickly.

My Music
Page 1 of 2